Book Covers Skyrim (by DanielCoffey and doccdr)

dstansberry

I have had to withdraw version 2_3_1 of the Book Covers mod from the Nexus due to an unusual bug that has been reported to me. The mod files have now been reverted back to 2_2_2.

A reproducible CTD occurs with version 2_3_1 if the player attempts to read a Note that is fixed onto an object despite the textures and meshes being correctly referenced.

For example, the "Notice of Cost Increase" in the Bee and Barb is a Note that is stuck to the table. Its only option is Read. The World mesh is displaying properly but the instant you click Read, the view switches to the Inventory mesh, the correct texture is applied, the text appears inside the Note and its skeleton begins to open it. Before the Note is fully open, it causes a CTD.

The Note does display perfectly if it is opened from the Inventory though which is why I am confused. I tested the Notes in qasmoke and checked that every one opened and displayed its contents properly. I just do not understand why this one Note is treated differently because it can't be picked up.

Nope - the mesh is referenced fine. If I have the Note that uses my new mesh in my inventory and read it there it works. If I then drop the same Note and try to read it on the ground it CTDs. I am suspecting the Behaviour script that is attached to the Notes mesh so have contacted Hanaisse on TES Alliance for advice.

I have created a thread in the Mod Author sub-forum so that I can throw ideas at this and see what sticks.

• 2 weeks later...

Been using this for 30 hours roughly without any noticeable bugs. It adds a lot when looking through interiors without breaking vanilla. One if my favourite mods actually (starting to have many favs though). Haven't experienced the CTD you guys are talking about but I can't remember (or test atm) if I've ever picked up a note.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have managed to isolate and work around the CTD with Notes. There is a hard-coded constraint that says there can only be one texture for a Note... but nothing to say that it has to be square. I used a rectangular texture and mapped the two sides onto different halves of it so now we have notes that are effectively double sided but still only use a single texture.

All the Treasure Maps, Recipes, Bounties and most major factions use the new Notes mesh and I am in the process of rolling it out to all the general Notes and Letters in the vanilla game and all DLC.

• 1 month later...

FIY:

Version 2.7

==================

Removed the No Notes ESPs

Edited STATIC entries to replace BC_HighPolyBook* with BCS_Book_*

Edited STATIC entries to replace BC_HighPolyJournal* with BCS_Journal_*

Delocalized all ESPs into native languages

Merged each set of Skyrim/DG/HF/DB ESPs into a Merged ESP

Deleted STRINGS folder

Updated BAIN and FOMOD wizards to reflect changes

• 4 weeks later...

Only the Note papers which now all have their own custom textures... unless you also install my optional paper texture.

When I looked at the HQ Paper mod, I loved the effect but noticed that the textures could be optimised. I took the decision to release an optional download that would provide new paper textures for the book and journal pages and edges but would not touch anything else that HQ Paper improved. My personal Load Order for these three goes like this...

- Book Covers Skyrim

- HQ Paper

- Book Covers Skyrim Optional Paper Textures