The future of patching

What's the effect of this approach (global patch) on mod updates? What about mods that are withdrawn from nexus? The current policy seems generally to be to remove them from SR. If the global patch has dependencies things could get ugly.

It's actually very easy to clean a file from dependencies in tes5edit, esp for something like this. Considering most of the mods need approx 1-5 records patched, if that mod is removed you'd just delete those 5 records from the mod with tes5edit and then use the "Clean Masters" command and it's good to go again.

Lets see what we have now:

+flexibility

+clarity

+we still don't hit eliminated by nitpick border of 508 esp/esm

-many compatibility patches

What we will have if will merge patches:

+less plugins in load order

-much more brain****ing

how reliable merging instruments we have - is a question. Creating merged patchs via Wrye Bash and TES5Edit does not seem safe to me.

I don't think that merging patches is good idea for now.

We can create one compatibility patch per mod for all conflicting mods, not one per mod for conflicting mod as we do now.

Another way it could be done is find common threads and make general patches for those mods...

I.e. RLOGlobal.esp, etc.

Lets see what we have now:

+flexibility

+clarity

+we still don't hit eliminated by nitpick border of 508 esp/esm

-many compatibility patches

What we will have if will merge patches:

+less plugins in load order

-much more brain****ing

how reliable merging instruments we have - is a question. Creating merged patchs via Wrye Bash and TES5Edit does not seem safe to me.

I don't think that merging patches is good idea for now.

We can create one compatibility patch per mod for all conflicting mods, not one per mod for conflicting mod as we do now.

Like I stated above then... yeah I think this is the way to go if we're going to do anything. At least until the critical stage (out of esp slots). P.S. the limit is still 255 but nitpick allows you to have 508 esp in the directory without causing an issue.

By default Skyrim only looks at the first 508 esp files it finds but can only have 255 active mods.

Like I stated above then... yeah I think this is the way to go if we're going to do anything. At least until the critical stage (out of esp slots). P.S. the limit is still 255 but nitpick allows you to have 508 esp in the directory without causing an issue.

By default Skyrim only looks at the first 508 esp files it finds but can only have 255 active mods.

Oh, my apologies for inattention, and thanks for explain about limits.

I'm at around 241 active now - the EBQO changes knocked out about five which was nice. I imagine people running the full SkyRe+ASIS suggestions must be hitting close to the 255 limit too.

Does SUM not merge ASIS/SkyRe?

Not sure - I remember trying to run ASIS that it created a couple of extra ESPs, but I think that was prior to using SUM.