SKSE (by the SKSE Team)

z929669

You can install SKSE 1.7.3 without any doubts, it's working great. Your analysis is correct too, SKSE's two .dll's and the .exe must be placed within Skyrim's game folder (where TESV.exe is). The scripts, as well as the manually created SKSE.ini file, should be managed via MO, because every single file that goes into the ..\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Data\.. folder, should be managed through MO.

All "SKSE Plugins" (e.g. the ones you mentioned like Cellstabilizer.dll or DCF_Plugin.dll, etc .. and every associated .ini file) should reside within their own "mods" in MO's left pane. Just install those mods normally like every other mod aswell, they will work just fine!

For reference, here is what should be written within the SKSE.ini file:

[General]
ClearInvalidRegistrations=1
EnableDiagnostics=1

[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

[Display]
iTintTextureResolution=2048

This SKSE.ini file should be placed in the folder ..\Skyrim\Data\SKSE\.., therefore if it is installed via MO the .ini file must be packaged just within the SKSE folder (rightclick on the finalized SKSE folder --> "Add to archive").

Edited by pStyl3

You can install SKSE 1.7.3 without any doubts, it's working great. Your analysis is correct too, SKSE's two .dll's and the .exe must be placed within Skyrim's game folder (where TESV.exe is). The scripts, as well as the manually created SKSE.ini file, should be managed via MO, because every single file that goes into the ..\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Data\.. folder, should be managed through MO.

All "SKSE Plugins" (e.g. the ones you mentioned like Cellstabilizer.dll or DCF_Plugin.dll, etc .. and every associated .ini file) should reside within their own "mods" in MO's left pane. Just install those mods normally like every other mod aswell, they will work just fine!

For reference, here is what should be written within the SKSE.ini file:

[General]
EnableDiagnostics=1

[Memory]
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

[Display]
iTintTextureResolution=2048

This SKSE.ini file should be placed in the folder ..\Skyrim\Data\SKSE\.., therefore if it is installed via MO the .ini file must be packaged just within the SKSE folder (rightclick on the finalized SKSE folder --> "Add to archive").

Thank you I could not let it go and had to ask, now the only thing you did not touch was the post just prior to this one. maybe you had not seen it but Since it works I assume that the Skyrim/MO can read the ini even if it is in Plugins.

"assume that the Skyrim/MO can read the ini even if it is in Plugins" .. yes. SKSE.ini and .ini files from third party mods do not interfere with each other, they work alongside without a problem (they are intended to do so, in the ..\SKSE\Plugins\.. folder). As I said, you really don't need to pay special attention to so called "SKSE Plugins", just install those mods as you do with every other mod aswell, all will be fine. ::):

Edited by pStyl3
  • +1 1

For those updating to 1.7.3 here is the currently changelog:

1.7.3:
- added SpawnerTask for batch PlaceAtMe with positioning (see SpawnerTask.psc for details)
- fixed chance of ModEvent/UICallback instances failing if the game was saved+loaded between their creation and execution
- added Spell.GetEffectMagnitudes/GetEffectAreas/GetEffectDurations/GetMagicEffects
- added ObjectReference.GetContainerForms/GetReferenceAliases
- added WornObject.GetReferenceAliases
- added Form.GetKeywords
- added StringUtil.Split
- added Utility.ResizeArray
- added Actor.ResetAI (similar to console function)
- fixed ActorBase.GetIndexOf*
- fixed Utility.CreateArray initialization with empty Forms/Aliases
- added support for skse.ExtendData(true) to enchanting/alchemy/smithing/crafting menus
- added Ingredient/Potion/Scroll/Spell.GetIsNthEffectKnown/Magnitudes/Areas/Durations/MagicEffects
- added Quest.GetAliasById/GetAliases
- fixed Armor.ModArmorRating to disallow underflow
- added FormList.ToArray/AddForms
- added experimental GameData functions
- TreeObject and Flora accept general forms as produce
- added diagnostic messages that help detecting the cause of common crashes or problems.
  (1) Shows which masterfile is missing when the game CTDs on startup.
  (2) Lists the missing files in the removed content dialog when loading a save.
  Both are disabled by default; to enable them add this to \Data\SKSE\skse.ini:
      [General]
      EnableDiagnostics=1

Looks like we have another diagnostic tool to use, but MO does the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I don't know either. That's the thing. I don't really know what goes on inside of skse. I just know that it makes magic, happen. :) So I don't know if swapping the skse functions would be bad for an in-progress game.

• 5 months later...

Hallo,

I'm about to update my STEP installation from 2.2.9. to 2.2.9.2

As far I have updated all the tools but updating SKSE 1.07.1 to 1.07.3 scares my because there are no good informations on updating.

I still have a MOD Organiser profile for STEP 2.2.9 running and want to keep it. It uses 1.07.1 and I guess several other mods are dependant on the scripts.

Could somebody give me a short instruction I can follow on how to update SKSE without messing my old game, please?

I have one SKSE 1.07.01 folder in my Mod Organizer directory including following folders. Scripts, SKSE (contains the SKSE.ini) and meta.ini.

In my Skyrim folder there is the skse_1_9_32.dll, skse_loader.exe and  skse_loader.dll

The new SKSE 1.07.03 download file includes skse_1_9_32.dll, skse_loader.exe and  skse_loader.dll but also other files like skse_steam_loader.dll.

In the Data folder there is a Scripts Folder.

I guess I could overwrite my old skse_1_9_32.dll, skse_loader.exe and  skse_loader.dll files in my Skyrim folder with the new ones from SKSE 1.07.03 then overwrite the old Scripts folder in Mod Organizer with the one from SKSE 1.07.03, right?

I could keep my old SKS.ini in the ModOrganiser directory

[spoiler=SKSE.ini][General]

[Memory]
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

[Display]
iTintTextureResolution=512

[Debug]
WriteMinidumps=1

[interface]
EnableContainerCategorization=1