Dragons Shout with Voice (by pauderek)

WilliamImm

Discussion thread:

Dragons Shout with Voice by pauderek

Wiki Link

I've just found this recently. Have you ever noticed that dragons only roar when they use dragon shots, and not utter the magic words? (which is the way that shouts are done by lore)

This mod only replaces fuz files relating to dragon-used dragon shouts, so there should be no incompatbilities with existing STEP mods. Well, maybe Thundering Shouts, but I think it only replaces the player shout files.

Given that STEP is about immersion, this seems like a fairly obvious addition.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks very interesting indeed.

For future reference, if it ever gets accepted:

This mod doesn't modify any asset (the .esp is only used so the game can read the files inside the .bsa), it only edits the voice (.fuz) files making it compatible with any mod.

If you're using unpacked BSA's - no need for an ESP with this mod.

This mod doesn't modify any asset (the .esp is only used so the game can read the files inside the .bsa), it only edits the voice (.fuz) files making it compatible with any mod.

There's a loose files version.

There's a loose files version.

Oh. Never checked the files tab tbh - at work, so I've only took a quick look.

The sounds are cool... since they kinda run on top of the normal growling... blast like sound etc.

However I have noticed just in helgen that when Alduin says Tor Suul only a shout effect is spewed out... not the fire breath that normally is there.

The only fire breaths I saw where the cinematic ones... hence the one in the tower, the one with the kid and wounded guy, and the one at the wall.

But when he flies around then it was only shout animations.

I will do a bit more testing when I get the time again.

But so far it is cool to have the dragon actually use the shouts.

Did more testing. Seems to have been a random fluke with the fire breaths... at least I have not been able to reproduce.

Properly due to having so many mods that sometimes something mess up stuff.

I did further testing with "normal" dragons... and there it works flawlessly. The dragon fights as it should, and screams tor suul at you when breathing fire.

Also works nicely along with dragon soul absorb more glorious.

One slight issue is the volume and intensity of the shout... it seems a bit off compared to the other sounds. It is a minor thing but I guess some audiophiles would dislike it based on that.

Other then that then the worst part of the mod is in its limitation. It only works for those select few attack types, and when you have more dragon types then they are logically not able to use the sounds. This is properly not an issue for STEP, but I thought it vital to mention regardless since I know many people do use dragon mods, especially the lore friendly ones.

• 4 weeks later...

So, I did a bit of in-game testing in the place that you can always reproduce a dragon. IE: Helgen. And, well, it works. Volume is a bit disproportionate (a fair bit louder than the normal roar), but at least you can hear the words being spoken. Tor Suul!

This sounds really cool, especially with no esp needed.

Even if it doesn't cover every dragon added by dragon mods, it still seems like an improvement and maybe work can/will be done to incorporate this into those mods or a compatibility patch.

After playing around with it for a while, I'd say this should go in STEP. But, maybe the mod testers have other opinions.

Marking as testing, anyway.

I second that. I would recommend the optional as well: Dragons Shout with Voice from location

• 3 weeks later...