Nexus Mod Manager (Nexus Devs)

z929669

• 7 months later...

I cut my Modding Teeth on NMM, but ever since the update restricted the ability to rename the mods I've stopped using it. I jumped over MO straight to WB. I'm not nearly as comfortable with WB yet, but it is definitely the superior product. I would recommend NMM for noobs and educate yourself up to WB. I'm curious about MO's virtual Data folder however. I may play around with it this weekend.

I cut my Modding Teeth on NMM' date=' but ever since the update restricted the ability to rename the mods I've stopped using it. I jumped over MO straight to WB. I'm not nearly as comfortable with WB yet, but it is definitely the superior product. I would recommend NMM for noobs and educate yourself up to WB. I'm curious about MO's virtual Data folder however. I may play around with it this weekend.[/quote']

I wouldn't even recommend NMM for noobs, it's not much better than the Workshop implementation, and at least that doesn't allow loose files.  Once finals are over next week I think I'm going to re-format, re-install STEP, and update the MO guide along the way.  It has a lot of potential and once you understand the basics it's very simple to use.  I want to be able to recommend it as the "beginner" manager and get as many off NMM as possible.

I love Mod Organizer just because it keeps my folders clean and I don't have to worry about overwrites and such(which takes forever if WB re-extracts a big package) and less prone to problems of that nature.

Besides bash patch (which you can run WB through MO) I'm not sure what else WB offers additionally that MO does not. I used WB before MO and thought MO was superior from the perspective of updating/managing mods.

I love Mod Organizer just because it keeps my folders clean and I don't have to worry about overwrites and such(which takes forever if WB re-extracts a big package) and less prone to problems of that nature.

Besides bash patch (which you can run WB through MO) I'm not sure what else WB offers additionally that MO does not. I used WB before MO and thought MO was superior from the perspective of updating/managing mods.

I felt this way too, and although I haven't used WB for the entire STEP package, I did notice it was unnecessarily complex when I played with it.  I'm sure Z will have something to say about this however.  We talked about it over VoIP a couple weeks ago and he did make some good points, but I can't remember them >.<

Realistically, as long as they're using either MO or WB I really couldn't care less.

I'd just add, to NMMs defense, that it does still allow renaming mod names and contrary to popular belief it does reinstall overwritten textures etc after uninstallation of said overwrites. That said, it certainly lacks alot of features still that you'd get with other installers. But for my purposes it is more then enough and I have not had the need for other intallers (other then bash patching), for my own setups or STEP for that matter.

I felt this way too, and although I haven't used WB for the entire STEP package, I did notice it was unnecessarily complex when I played with it.  I'm sure Z will have something to say about this however.  We talked about it over VoIP a couple weeks ago and he did make some good points, but I can't remember them >.

Realistically, as long as they're using either MO or WB I really couldn't care less.

arrgh!

Naw, MO is fine I'm sure. For those of us that like to have complete control however, WB is superior. Its conflict resolution alone is way underappreciated. WB is about 4 feature-rich mod-management utilities all in one (and it does not run in the background :P

I felt this way too, and although I haven't used WB for the entire STEP package, I did notice it was unnecessarily complex when I played with it.  I'm sure Z will have something to say about this however.  We talked about it over VoIP a couple weeks ago and he did make some good points, but I can't remember them >.<

arrgh!

Naw, MO is fine I'm sure. For those of us that like to have complete control however, WB is superior. Its conflict resolution alone is way underappreciated. WB is about 4 feature-rich mod-management utilities all in one (and it does not run in the background :P

I got used to Wrye Bash, I can't get used to Mod Organiser. Might switch over at some point in the future, though.

• DoubleYou unpinned this topic
  • 2 months later...

I'm just doing this because it's a requirement for Turn of Seasons for Skyrim SE; I don't typically install mods without a Mod Manager handling basically everything. That and running FNIS is about the extent of my modding experience. I push a few buttons and the thingy just works most of the time. So this guide just assuming I know what this means when referring to the several folders this thing generated is, uh, very unhelpful to me, and I don't know anyone I can ask about it.

image.png?ex=65dbd266&is=65c95d66&hm=bd3

.... So, what does installing a mod from a folder usually entail? Can I use NMM or do I have to drop this somewhere manually? 

EDIT: Also yes I did try to figure this out (It's not like this is forbidden knowledge, this is how people used to do it!) But when I tried it still tells me it can't find billboards or something of the like and to use TexGen, so I assume I am doing it wrong. 

Avoid use of NMM. It's not reliable and has very limited functionality. Install MO / Configure MO (best support from this community) or Vortex as mentioned. Generate the xLODGen, TexGen, or DynDOLOD output in their default directory location on the OS and simply copy the contents of that folder into a mod folder of the mod manager using Windows Explorer.

With MO:

image.png

The mod will be at highest priority at the bottom of the list. Leave it there, and enable it.

Right click the new mod, and ...

image.png

Then use drag/drop from your ..\DynDOLOD\TexGen_Output\ directory or whatever method you like to move files.

• sheson changed the title to How to install mods with NMM?