Wiki Information

stoppingby4now

Question

Wiki Information

Along with the forum, we also have a Wiki setup for maintaining guides, technical documents, and anything that can be useful for capturing information related to Skyrim and/or STEP. By default, the Wiki is closed to edits to anonymous users, but they have access to read the pages.

The Wiki is now tied to the forums for authentication, meaning that you will only have one log-in for both with the same password. Session sharing is not yet implemented, so the log-in process will be separate for both.

Having an account on MyBB will not grant the ability to log-in immediately. Permissions will still need to be granted, and requests for edit access to the Wiki can be placed in this forum. Only users with 30 or more mostly-productive forum posts and no negative historical conduct will be considered for wiki write permissions.

One thing to note is that if you've logged into the Wiki before being granted write access, you will need to logout and login again in order for the appropriate permissions to be granted.

If you have not yet checked out the Wiki (still a WIP), head on over.

• Answers 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Yes, IMO, and that entire section you linked should be expanded upon before the almighty gates are opened on the Wiki to the public. The intent is to open the Wiki up to all forum members eventually (sometime soon after the next STEP release probably). Meaning all registered forum members will also have basic wiki editing privileges. The the Wiki Editors will be a step up from the normal members and, of course, the Admins will be setting at the top. So the more information in that section the better. I'll add it to the Wiki Editors to-do list. (Though it seems I'm the only Editor actually editing the last few months...:unsure: )

Can I request permissions to write? I could fill Sounds & Gameplay categories with relevant info from 2.2.0 e.g. Choose option x' date=' this mod has ITM or UDR (there are such ones) and so on.[/quote']

The Wiki has just been opened for public (registered user) editing, so have at it.  Please make sure all edits are thoughtfully written and follow the generaly writing style we have started.

Recently in NeoValen's thread we had a discussion about some of the mechanics of Skyrim's use of RAM and VRAM.  I was wondering if some of this information should make its way to the wiki in some fashion (I took a look and couldn't find it in the hardware section; it may be posted elsewhere).  Relevant stuff includes:

• Hitting over 3 gigabytes of RAM usage tends to cause instability within the game and this seems to be an inherent limitation of the engine.
  • Textures are, at least to some extant, held in both RAM and VRAM, meaning that texture mods contribute to RAM load.
  • As JudgementJay said: "Other RAM-heavy mods would be stuff like Skyrim Distant Detail. These types of mods are made even more RAM-intensive by z-fighting tweaks. Also, anything that adds objects to the game. For example Expanded Towns and Cities adds ~150mb RAM usage in the middle of Riverwood. Stuff like Interesting NPCs, Civil War, etc can add a bit depending on where you are.  Skyrim also caches interior/exterior cells as you move between them which is a big problem. For example when I'm in Markarth I'm sitting at about 2500mb RAM usage with every mod installed, but when I move into Understone Keep, usage jumps to 3gb+ because it's keeping the exterior cell in RAM."

Would this info be useful for the Wiki? Where do you folks figure I should put it if it is?

Recently in NeoValen's thread we had a discussion about some of the mechanics of Skyrim's use of RAM and VRAM.  I was wondering if some of this information should make its way to the wiki in some fashion (I took a look and couldn't find it in the hardware section; it may be posted elsewhere).  Relevant stuff includes:

• Hitting over 3 gigabytes of RAM usage tends to cause instability within the game and this seems to be an inherent limitation of the engine.
  • Textures are, at least to some extant, held in both RAM and VRAM, meaning that texture mods contribute to RAM load.
  • As JudgementJay said: "Other RAM-heavy mods would be stuff like Skyrim Distant Detail. These types of mods are made even more RAM-intensive by z-fighting tweaks. Also, anything that adds objects to the game. For example Expanded Towns and Cities adds ~150mb RAM usage in the middle of Riverwood. Stuff like Interesting NPCs, Civil War, etc can add a bit depending on where you are.  Skyrim also caches interior/exterior cells as you move between them which is a big problem. For example when I'm in Markarth I'm sitting at about 2500mb RAM usage with every mod installed, but when I move into Understone Keep, usage jumps to 3gb+ because it's keeping the exterior cell in RAM."

Would this info be useful for the Wiki? Where do you folks figure I should put it if it is?

see my sig for link to benchmark results. this is as close as we currently have. Indeed, textures (and all GPU data) are partially loaded into system RAM. There are many discussions on this topic throughout these forums (mostly back and forth between s4n and me) ... check the "Performance" thread adjacent to this one.

Can I request permissions to write? I could fill Sounds & Gameplay categories with relevant info from 2.2.0 e.g. Choose option x' date=' this mod has ITM or UDR (there are such ones) and so on.[/quote']

The Wiki has just been opened for public (registered user) editing' date=' so have at it.  Please make sure all edits are thoughtfully written and follow the generaly writing style we have started.[/quote']

"You do not have permission to edit this page, for the following reasons:

You do not have permission to edit pages in the STEP namespace.

This page has been protected to prevent editing."

Can I request permissions to write? I could fill Sounds & Gameplay categories with relevant info from 2.2.0 e.g. Choose option x this mod has ITM or UDR (there are such ones) and so on.

The Wiki has just been opened for public (registered user) editing, so have at it.  Please make sure all edits are thoughtfully written and follow the generaly writing style we have started.

"You do not have permission to edit this page, for the following reasons:

You do not have permission to edit pages in the STEP namespace.

This page has been protected to prevent editing."

Only admins can edit content in the STEP namespace. This is to prevent changes to very important content (like the STEP Guide). If you have some suggestions you can post them and the admins will look into them.

Recently whenever I try to login to the Wiki so I can do external editing of a Wiki guide page I get an error saying I can't because I don't have cookies enabled. I tried 3 different browsers and the result was the same for all three. I don't have cookies disabled in any of the browsers. I normally use Chrome and when this happened I cleared all the cookies associated with the Wiki but I still get the same result.

Recently whenever I try to login to the Wiki so I can do external editing of a Wiki guide page I get an error saying I can't because I don't have cookies enabled. I tried 3 different browsers and the result was the same for all three. I don't have cookies disabled in any of the browsers. I normally use Chrome and when this happened I cleared all the cookies associated with the Wiki but I still get the same result.

Me too. It must be a config issue. Something to do with page caching maybe? We'll need to look into it.