State of Skyrim Revisited Updates

IP is likely to be included. Civil War Overhaul needs to mature more.

Warzones I haven't tested but heard its really heavy.

Interesting NPCs the NPCs are hit or miss and possibly touched by TESVSnip and therefore not safe. Inconsequential NPCs has my eye though.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Immersive Patrols is great and I really like Inconsequential NPCs too. Travelers is also good. These do a good job of populating Skyrim.

Playing with Interesting NPCs is good for a while - but they get tedious after a while. I also wonder about the stability of it.

I don't think Warzones is safe to use (or stable) at this point. IP's Battles do a decent job of providing some flavor for this.

I wonder if FMO will conflict with Weapons and Armor Fixes, Ars Metallica and Smithing Perk Overhaul.

I know lots of people like Border Sense but I'm indifferent and figure if that's the case why add to my CPU's burden. (I feel the same way about Regional Names.)

Civil War might be good but I'm not sure I trust it yet.

IP is likely to be included. Civil War Overhaul needs to mature more.

Warzones I haven't tested but heard its really heavy.

Interesting NPCs the NPCs are hit or miss and possibly touched by TESVSnip and therefore not safe. Inconsequential NPCs has my eye though.

Bravo!

IP looks like the best of the lot I mentioned, to be sure. Like I said I just love the idea of an enhanced Civil War, but after digging deeper I see that CWO definitely needs to mature some more. I thought I had heard problems about Warzones, but that was before I started following SR so wasn't sure if it had matured yet.

I love the idea of Interesting NPCs, but I had never heard of Inconsequential NPCs, that seems to be the far superior option, especially for SR. It's much smaller, nice and lore friendly and really does what I wanted Interesting NPCs to do (fill out the world, make it more alive and believable). I don't think we need a ton more followers or quests, but the world could definitely use more inhabitants just going about with their daily lives. 

EDIT: After fully going through Inconsequential NPCs I am so impressed. I really hope this gets included as I think it adds a lot to what I feel most SR people are looking for and what isn't addressed yet.

Immersive Patrols is great and I really like Inconsequential NPCs too. Travelers is also good. These do a good job of populating Skyrim.

Playing with Interesting NPCs is good for a while - but they get tedious after a while. I also wonder about the stability of it.

I don't think Warzones is safe to use (or stable) at this point. IP's Battles do a decent job of providing some flavor for this.

I wonder if FMO will conflict with Weapons and Armor Fixes, Ars Metallica and Smithing Perk Overhaul.

I know lots of people like Border Sense but I'm indifferent and figure if that's the case why add to my CPU's burden. (I feel the same way about Regional Names.)

Yes that is what I want to accomplish- populate Skyrim, especially the towns and roads. I will definitely look into Inconsequential NPCs and Travelers. I was a bit disappointed that I have only run into 1 imperial group of soldiers (3 or 4), 1 group of stormcloak soldiers (3 or 4), 1 group of Stendarr crusaders or paladins or whatever (2 npcs) and 1 case of 2 dead stendarrs and 3 vampires who had killed them. Not sure if that was from Dawnguard or what, but that was all in a playthrough up to level 25 with at least a good 50 hours gametime, likely more, travelling all over on the roads. Oh I guess a group of khajits too, but they ran by so fast I didn't get to try to talk or anything, Also a headless ghost horseman, but he didn't talk or anything and it was in the wilds.

That's my main worries with Interesting NPCs, Warzones, FMO, Civil War is incompatibility and stability. I think Civil War Overhaul has some promise I really hope the author keeps it clean and safe. In the meantime, IP battles and just populated roads would be amazing because once you discover locations it's so tempting to fast travel when you know there's nothing awaiting you on the journey.

I agree about Border Sense being little more than fluff, if it uses an ESP than it really might not be worth it. I'm not sure how much of a burden it would cause the cpu, but that's something to think about as well.

I'm sure Border Sense alone is not much of a burden - but when you've got hundreds of mods every little bit adds up. It strikes me that this is running almost constantly detecting where you are so I'm a bit wary of it.

I also think it's not really immersive - at least as I think of it. For the most part, the idea of defined boarders is a fairly recent innovation. In the dark ages borders were ill-defined and highly contested. The game needs strict borders to know where to assign bounties for example. But in the period the game uses for inspiration, the seat of power (i.e. the Jarl's Longhouse) was easy to identify, but where his writ extended was much less defined - while his troops or tax collectors were there it was his, but when they moved on it reverted to contested ground. With this idea of fluid and contested borders, I don't really think that knowing exactly when you left one hold and entered another makes sense. If I can see the Jarl's troops I know I'm in his territory, if I need a mod to tell me whose land I'm in then it seems I'm not really in it. Given this view of the political geography of Skyrim I don;t really think Border Sense is adding to immersion, at least for me....

I've been using Inconsequential NPCs and Immersive Patrols, but this was the first I had seen Travellers mentioned. It looks great! Thanks for mentioning it as I am rolling it into my build now.

And reguard The Earthquake and Graveyards mod mentioned by me? Only fluff or troubles?

Regarding Earthquakes: Cool idea, but not sure it's really worth the spot and not sure how it fits in to the Skyrim weather. I mean you could say there have been earthquakes ever since Vvardenfell erupted, but I just haven't seen any evidence of such in any game lore. I'm not sure if there are volcanoes in Skyrim? Or what would be causing the tremors otherwise. Cool idea, just not sure I personally think it's worth inclusing into the base guide. 

*EDIT*: It seems there is quite a bit of lore involved with the Red Mountains eruption and its effect on Skyrim. From the wiki "By at least 4E 5, Red Mountain erupted once again,[2] having nearly completely devastated all of Vvardenfell and Morrowind. Many unprecedented effects and aftershocks could be felt across Tamriel." The Red Mountain is also fairly close to Skyrim being visible from the College of Winterhold and from the Throat of The World on clear days. While also "The still-erupting volcano can be seen fully in The Elder Scrolls V: Dragonborn from almost anywhere on Solstheim."

I had no idea (haven't gotten to Dragonborn yet) that the Red Mountain was still erupting during the period of Dragonborn (Skyrim starts at 4E 201 = at least 196 years later).

The lore significance of the mod does intrigue me. I guess my opinion would depend upon the implementation and execution of the mod by MannyGT (who I believe is a pretty recognizable modder?)

Regarding Graveyards: Again a cool idea, but not sure the point of it with the Halls of The Dead in the lore. While I certainly think towns could use some sprucing up and decorating, I'm not sure that I would add graveyards first. There is a small graveyard in Solitude outside the HoTD that I know of, not sure about the appearance of graves anywhere else in the game? Like I said, I am all for enhancing cities, but I would rather see some kind of agricultural or economic resource enhancements done to help support the image of an area/town being able to support a sizable population first.

There's my 2 septims, but I nothing more than a lowly novice at this point and I cannot speak to the actual implementation and/or structure of said mods, just on how I feel about the "spirit" of the mod.

For the immersive stuff and asis there is a thread by iroha with a good guide. Enhanced enemy AI seems pretty safe, I've been thinking about using it for a while, how does it compare against duel's ai?

As for dynavision, no clue