Silly question re: Wrye Bash and HRDLC optimization

SabreCat

Question

I've been crawling my way through the very beginning of the STEP process, and I feel like I'm missing something in the instructions for optimizing the HRDLC textures.

I've created 7z packages, installed them in Bash, and removed the vanilla BSAs to a backup location. That much I'm relatively confident I did right. I guess I'll find out when I run the game, though. It would have been nice to have some sort of checksum to tell me whether I ended up with correct output on those texture packs!

However, there are still three HRDLC .esp files in my Data directory and listed on the Mods tab of Wrye. Should I remove them and back them up like I did the BSAs? Uncheck them in the mods list? Leave them alone? The wiki was pretty silent on the matter of ESPs.

6 answers to this question

I've been crawling my way through the very beginning of the STEP process' date=' and I feel like I'm missing something in the instructions for optimizing the HRDLC textures.

I've created 7z packages, installed them in Bash, and removed the vanilla BSAs to a backup location. That much I'm relatively confident I did right. I guess I'll find out when I run the game, though. It would have been nice to have some sort of checksum to tell me whether I ended up with correct output on those texture packs!

However, there are still three HRDLC .esp files in my Data directory and listed on the Mods tab of Wrye. Should I remove them and back them up like I did the BSAs? Uncheck them in the mods list? Leave them alone? The wiki was pretty silent on the matter of ESPs.[/quote']

Sorry, I'll have to leave that one to another member that is more familiar with it as I don't mess with DDSopt.

Also' date=' what does it mean if an Installer has a yellow + vs. green? I've looked at a couple of different "Wrye Basics" and they haven't called it out at all...[/quote']

Green means it is good to go without issue. Yellow means the mod is conflicting with another mod. This is normal for STEP as several mods will overwrite resources from other mods (conflict). They can be safely ignored. Here's a guide of the colors for you that really helped me out whenever I first started using WB (in fact, that whole readme is quite helpful):

https://oblivionworks.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/oblivionworks/Programs/Wrye%20Bash/Mopy/Docs/Wrye%20Bash%20General%20Readme.html#bain-symbols

If you have extracted the texture.bsa´s then you no longer require the .esp´s (or bsa´s) since the .esp´s are only there to link the game to the bsa archives. Once all the textures are as loose files they will automatically be used. This of course assuming that you have put in the correct folder structure ...\textures\...

Awesome, thanks. I'll get rid of the ESPs, and techangel, that legend page is exactly what I was looking for but couldn't find!

I think I did something just a bit wrong--my "standard" optimized textures installer landed in the list after the HRDLCs, so the three HRDLC installers are yellow while the standard one is green, and I want them the other way around. Will switch up the install order and see if that sorts it.