77 replies to this topic

#31 Tarvok

Tarvok

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 11:22 AM

Ah, I thought we were talking about the same files. You were referring to something different. So I must assume my confusion failed to come across.

The problem on my part was "failure to read". The entry in 2.D. just said to download and install; didn't specify that I'm not downloading and installing the default file at this point. So I just clicked the link and hit "Download (NMM)" instead of going to the files page and selecting the correct file... and was rather confused as to why the installer wanted me to have already installed stuff from later steps (because I downloaded the compilation file instead of the textures file). Just an ID10T error on my part, but I'd be surprised if others don't make the same error.

Next observation. Procedure has me installing Trade and Barter in section 2.D. I am sorting in preparation for a benchmark, and LOOT is complaining that I haven't yet installed SkyUI, which STEP places under 2.E. I am going to assume this isn't a problem so long as I don't need to activate it under the MCM. I am about to test that assumption.

EDIT: Assumption correct. I don't know if Trade and Barter does anything at this point, but the lack of SkyUI doesn't make the game crash or anything.

Edited by Tarvok, 28 November 2015 - 12:33 PM.

#32 SabreCat

SabreCat

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 09:04 PM

Hah, wow, I wander back after a computer upgrade and receiving notice that a new version is out, and my ancient post about STEP flow for newcomers is still stickied! Warm fuzzies.

It does seem like a great deal of improvement has been made to the guide since I first posted back when, so kudos to the community for all the cleanup and refinement. I am in particular greatly relieved to see that the convoluted and fiddly texture optimization process has been done away with--I remember following it to the letter through several headaches, and still ending up with blank-purple objects scattered around. Phew!

I'm trying to work my way through STEP 2.2.9.2 now, so we'll see how much better it treats me! I've only noticed a couple of out-of-order / head-scratchy things so far, which I'll note below.

• "STEP recommends installing Skyrim to an SSD if available, preferably separate from the drive/partition hosting the Operating System (i.e., avoid installing Steam and Skyrim in "C:\Program Files" or "C:\Program Files (x86)" folders" - This is confusing, because the two parts of this recommendation seem like they're talking about subtly different things. If I have one BFP on my SSD, is it OK to install Skyrim there, assuming I don't use C:\Program Files or its x86 variant? Or is it bad to use C:, period?
  • It seems strange that Skyrim Flora Overhaul is considered Core STEP, when there are several warnings about how if your install acts up, it should be the first to go. Doesn't that sort of thing qualify it for more of an "extended" classification?
  • "If you are using X" - this turn of phrase comes up early in the guide in reference to ENBoost and Skyrim Flora Overhaul. (I could have sworn there was one for "If you are using the STEP Compilation", too, but I can't seem to find it again.) But both of those are Core STEP, so why would I not be using them? Moreover, because these directives appear before the pieces they reference, I have to jump forward in the guide to see what they are before carrying out the step that depends on them. I'd recommend removing "if you're using X" instructions wherever X is a Core STEP component. If you simply can't part with those caveats, then at least qualify them by saying "...which you will if you're installing all Core STEP mods" or similar.

Keep up the good work! (I'm psyched for 2.3.0, if and when! I kinda want to experiment with survival and perk replacer mods, but fear what a mess I'll cause trying to wedge them into 2.2.9.2.)

#33 Greg

Greg

High King

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 09:29 PM

I assume BFP means "big fat partition"? You are interpreting this correctly. You can install Steam and Skyrim to the C: drive, but STEP recommends installing it in a folder like C:\Steam or C:\Games to avoid all the permission issues associated with C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86).

STEP is a guide or recommended set of mods to establish a stable modded game so users aren't required to install all of the recommended mods. If so desired, you could install say Blocking Animation Pack instead of Dual Wield Blocking Animations. This might be for the more advanced users, but STEP provides the option to deviate from the guide provided you are willing and capable of checking for and resolving any conflicts that may arise due to the deviation.

#34 SabreCat

SabreCat

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 11:41 PM

I assume BFP means "big fat partition"? You are interpreting this correctly. You can install Steam and Skyrim to the C: drive, but STEP recommends installing it in a folder like C:\Steam or C:\Games

Right. Except that the recommendation says not to even install it on the same partition as the operating system, that is, not in C:\Steam or C:\Games but e.g. D:\Games. How big a deal is that?

If the recommendation is "don't install it to C:\Program Files, and if possible, don't install it on the operating system partition at all, but rather, an SSD that doesn't also hold the OS," then it could be stated much more clearly than the guide currently does. The parenthetical talking about Program Files muddies up the broader sentence talking about the C: drive as a whole.

This might be for the more advanced users, but STEP provides the option to deviate from the guide provided you are willing and capable of checking for and resolving any conflicts that may arise due to the deviation.

Sure. But it's much easier as a starting point, and for people who may not be advanced modders, if it can be read and followed start to finish without jumping ahead. So if you want to preserve the Skyrim Flora Overhaul dependency in the "Increase grass diversity" INI step, for instance, it'll spare us grab-and-go users some confusion if you say "If using Skyrim Flora Overhaul, which is part of Core STEP, it is recommended to set this to 7."

#35 GrantSP

GrantSP

The antipodean

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,964 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 01:58 AM

It could be better worded than it currently is, so the answer is No!, it doesn't have to be on another drive, just somewhere outside of any UAC folders.

So if all you have is a C: drive then install Steam, Skyrim and any other tools you use into folders outside of C:\Program Files, ie an UAC folder.

#36 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,058 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 12:07 PM

• "STEP recommends installing Skyrim to an SSD if available, preferably separate from the drive/partition hosting the Operating System (i.e., avoid installing Steam and Skyrim in "C:\Program Files" or "C:\Program Files (x86)" folders" - This is confusing, because the two parts of this recommendation seem like they're talking about subtly different things. If I have one BFP on my SSD, is it OK to install Skyrim there, assuming I don't use C:\Program Files or its x86 variant? Or is it bad to use C:, period?

I've corrected this to be more clear:

STEP recommends installing Skyrim to an SSD, if available, and preferably on a separate drive/partition hosting the Operating System (i.e. instead of installing to the C: drive, install it to D:, E:, etc). If a separate drive/partition is unavailable, avoid installing Steam and Skyrim in "C:\Program Files" or "C:\Program Files (x86)" folders since Windows User Account Control [UAC] will cause issues with a modded Skyrim.

Hopefully, that is more clear in the recommendations.

#37 Tarvok

Tarvok

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 02:06 PM

I just finished benchmarking Step 2H: Characters and Creatures. This might have shown up earlier and I just missed it, but I noticed this time, during the cart ride, clipping between Ralof's clothes and his arms. It's like he has a flap of cloth coming down the front and his wrists were bound beneath it.

Although it doesn't appear to be consistent. I just tried to get a screenshot, and the clipping, while it was still there, wasn't sufficiently there to get a good screenshot.

One other oddity: I reloaded the "empire loves their damn lists" save to get a better look around during the execution scene. For some reason, "Move mouse to look around" was stuck at the center of the screen.

Beh. I don't think there's anything useful in this post, but I'll leave it here in case someone finds this information useful.

#38 DoubleYou

DoubleYou

Wiki Stepper

• Super Moderators
  • 4,471 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 02:42 PM

I just finished benchmarking Step 2H: Characters and Creatures. This might have shown up earlier and I just missed it, but I noticed this time, during the cart ride, clipping between Ralof's clothes and his arms. It's like he has a flap of cloth coming down the front and his wrists were bound beneath it.

Although it doesn't appear to be consistent. I just tried to get a screenshot, and the clipping, while it was still there, wasn't sufficiently there to get a good screenshot.

One other oddity: I reloaded the "empire loves their damn lists" save to get a better look around during the execution scene. For some reason, "Move mouse to look around" was stuck at the center of the screen.

Beh. I don't think there's anything useful in this post, but I'll leave it here in case someone finds this information useful.

One of the mods is causing the first one. Can't remember which one, but someone else posted about it.

The second one... it is simply bad practice to save a game during the Intro like that. Likely not all the initiation scripts have finished, getting you stuck.

Or it could be a random mouse stuck bug. I got those randomly at different times a while ago, but that seems to have stopped since then (don't know cause or fix).

#39 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,058 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 02:46 PM

One of the mods is causing the first one. Can't remember which one, but someone else posted about it.

I thought this too. Need to track that down.

#40 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 12,058 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 03:02 PM

I thought this too. Need to track that down.

If anyone knows where this issue was posted, please post the link here. I've tried multiple search inquires and I'm coming up empty handed.

#41 Nebulous112

Nebulous112

High King

• Super Moderators
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 03:04 PM

- Cutting Room Floor
Clipping observed between Ralof's hands and clothes on the initial carriage ride.
First noticed at some point before 2.H, but after 2.D.
Caused by the Stormcloak Cuirass (sleeved version) in Cutting Room Floor, or present in vanilla?
Check! Confirmed - If Ralof spawn without sleeves - no issues, but if his outfit has sleeves then there are clipping problems.
Looks like his outfit is randomly picked between sleeved and sleeveless with this mod.

From earlier in the thread, one page back. I haven't confirmed the issue for myself.

Edited by Nebulous112, 29 November 2015 - 03:05 PM.

#42 SabreCat

SabreCat

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 03:08 PM

I've corrected this to be more clear:

Excellent, thanks! Though I'd say "on a separate drive/partition from the operating system" instead of "hosting the operating system" because the current phrasing sounds like it's encouraging you to put it on the OS partition.

Made it through the first couple of sections and did my first benchmark. I'm in the Fixes section now, posting while I wait for the enormous Vanilla Optimized Textures mod to download, heh. More minor oddities encountered:

• The Benchmarking process asks you to use a vanilla install plus SKSE, but the first suggested benchmark in the guide occurs before SKSE has been installed. This is probably not a huge deal because benchmarking is something of an advanced topic (thumbs up to the wiki template text calling attention to that fact), but for maximum smoothness, SKSE could be moved from step 2C to step 1C.
  • Several mods in section 2D state that they can be skipped if ENBoost is installed. Given that ENBoost is Core STEP now, it doesn't make sense to tag these mods as Core STEP. I can understand having them around as crucial fixes for people who opt out of ENBoost, but they shouldn't have the green Core bar.

#43 DoubleYou

DoubleYou

Wiki Stepper

• Super Moderators
  • 4,471 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 03:33 PM

From earlier in the thread, one page back. I haven't confirmed the issue for myself.

More than likely it is WAF Remade.

#44 EssArrBee

EssArrBee

Incompatibilism Manager

• STEP Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,721 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 03:50 PM

Did you get to the STEP Patches yet? They combine records from CRF and one of Kyrptopyr's mods, so it should solve the incompatibility.

#45 Greg

Greg

High King

• Super Moderators
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 03:50 PM

Never mind...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users