Elder Scrolls Online

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If true... disappointing. BUT...

The guy admits to playing only some of the worst MMOs out there - had he mentioned/compared against Vanguard, Everquest 2, AoC, DAoC then I would have more respect for his opinion. Also the screen shot looks nothing like WoW - what is he thinking (rather closer to RIFT visually I would say).

However it is still a disappointment even for a looong time MMO player like me. Why? Because it would seem that what is to be carried over is the Lore from the games and not the mechanics or the freedom which are the major selling points that get me to play what is is essentially otherwise a very lonely experience. (I have hardly played a single-player game in the last 7 years except Bethesda :P ).

- Btw, the housing comment, like comments often made about crafting by MMO devs, is bollocks. The player housing system in EQ2 was one of it's highlights. -

I'd love to be proven wrong about the MMO, and the bloke that wrote the article is not the most convincing writer I've ever read, but I do keep getting a strong whiff of marketing department. Elder Scrolls plus WoW? Kerching!!!

What would be awesome is something similar to the traditional Elder Scrolls game, but designed for multiplayer, and allowing us to run private servers and play in organised groups. The STEP team storming an evil fortress? Now that might shake my credit card loose. Of course, if it included EVERY member of the community, there could be the occasional arrow to the knee. :whistling:

For awhile there, new MMO's were mimicking WoW due to the King of the Hill status. Unfortunately, that also meant mimicking many of what I consider to be the downfall of a quality MMO.

I'm not going to hold my breath on this one either, but you never know what may emerge at the other end. I also agree with Baeldwine about the player housing...absolute rubbish.

Mimicking the #1 western MMO has been the case forever yeah, not even WoW was different in that regard as it was a EQ-clone but with more streamlining etc to make it "casual friendly". Sadly it's that "casual friendly" attitude that has just kept getting stronger and stronger in WoW and more recent MMOs. :(

I want my cake and eat it too, why can't I have a private world with only buddies I invite sometimes, and other times I rush out to 100 vs 100 pvp slaughterfest in an open world. Certainly no technical reason why not.

The only thing I am particularly interested in from the article is the combat, active skill based offense and defense sounds really fun.

Mimicking the #1 western MMO has been the case forever yeah, not even WoW was different in that regard as it was a EQ-clone but with more streamlining etc to make it "casual friendly". Sadly it's that "casual friendly" attitude that has just kept getting stronger and stronger in WoW and more recent MMOs. :(

When WoW first came out, it was not casual friendly. When comparing to EQ, then to some extent yes. I have some of my best memories in WoW in the early years when clearing end-game content was not easy, and was much more of a progressive endeavor than it is today.

I want my cake and eat it too, why can't I have a private world with only buddies I invite sometimes, and other times I rush out to 100 vs 100 pvp slaughterfest in an open world. Certainly no technical reason why not.

The only thing I am particularly interested in from the article is the combat, active skill based offense and defense sounds really fun.

I'm with you. Sadly, it all comes down to money, either through monthly subscriptions, or micro transactions. A cash flow beyond the purchase of a game is too big of an incentive for many to let go. However, I still hold out hope that someone out there will do this.

When WoW first came out, it was not casual friendly. When comparing to EQ, then to some extent yes. I have some of my best memories in WoW in the early years when clearing end-game content was not easy, and was much more of a progressive endeavor than it is today.

Yeah sorry, I was comparing it to EQ since that's where I came from. In WoW you were able to solo to 50 with any class even in beta aswell, that's pretty much what I meant by casual friendly. After that the term has evolved (devolved?) into something that is much, much different though. I enjoyed WoW for quite some time aswell pre-expansions, so not just bashing on it. :)

Mimicking the #1 western MMO has been the case forever yeah' date=' not even WoW was different in that regard as it was a EQ-clone but with more streamlining etc to make it "casual friendly". Sadly it's that "casual friendly" attitude that has just kept getting stronger and stronger in WoW and more recent MMOs. :([/quote']When WoW first came out' date=' it was not casual friendly. When comparing to EQ, then to some extent yes. I have some of my best memories in WoW in the early years when clearing end-game content was not easy, and was much more of a progressive endeavor than it is today.[/quote']Yeah sorry, I was comparing it to EQ since that's where I came from. In WoW you were able to solo to 50 with any class even in beta aswell, that's pretty much what I meant by casual friendly. After that the term has evolved (devolved?) into something that is much, much different though. I enjoyed WoW for quite some time aswell pre-expansions, so not just bashing on it. :)
Very good way to describe it (devolved). You are very much correct.

As fun as the games are, I've always found the best parts of Elder Scrolls to be the community and their creations. An MMO version will never be able to deliver that same experience. So far all I see is the same old MMO concepts with an ES spin added to it. Been there, done that.

The ability to co-op in an ES game could be a fun option though....

"Hail, who goes there?" - player 1

"My name is Shrekalakaka.  I am the Dragonborn." - player 2

"Me too!  Fus Ro Dah to you brother!" - player 1

"Let's go to Breezehome and see if Lydia is still sitting in that chair 
upstairs." - player 2

"LOL she's so stupid" - player 1

Well actually I'm not even sure co-op would work....

As fun as the games are, I've always found the best parts of Elder Scrolls to be the community and their creations. An MMO version will never be able to deliver that same experience. So far all I see is the same old MMO concepts with an ES spin added to it. Been there, done that.

The ability to co-op in an ES game could be a fun option though....

"Hail, who goes there?" - player 1

"My name is Shrekalakaka.  I am the Dragonborn." - player 2

"Me too!  Fus Ro Dah to you brother!" - player 1

"Let's go to Breezehome and see if Lydia is still sitting in that chair 
upstairs." - player 2

"LOL she's so stupid" - player 1

Well actually I'm not even sure co-op would work....

https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=3592 :whistling:

I am eagerly waiting for further development on that though it is one of the epic projects that will probably never be finished.

At the point I am in the game I would love to have a friend jump in for some fun. I certainly could use some help killing Dragon Lords. But no way could the Skyrim storyline work with multiple people without some major re-writing.