Elder Scrolls Online

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think it would pretty much eliminate the ability to use mods that change/add content and/or functionality. I'm sure there is a way you could compare two installs against each other for the presence of ESM/ESPs in a similar fashion to how BOSS does it. But anything else installed would be difficult to identify.

I may be wrong though. Even though I've been using mods in games for years, I'm more of an "end-user" then anything else. Reading and obeying guides like STEP are my bread and butter. I'm one of the lazy ones that never really learns the finer details :P

• 1 year later...

So, one of the guys from this Polish games portal had a chance to actually PLAY TES:O! His short review of that experience is here. It's obviously in Polish, but if you're eager to read about it, you can use some kind of online translator (I believe Chrome includes such feature). It probably will be a bit clumsy translation, but hey, it's first report from the actual gameplay!

• 2 months later...

The Elder Scrolls Online will be a "premium" subscription-based massively multiplayer online role-playing game, carrying a monthly fee of $14.99/€12.99/£8.99 after the first free month.

Zenimax Online Studios president Matt Firor revealed the news in an interview with Gamestar. He said a business model where players pay once per month for access to the entire game is better suited for the MMO game than a free-to-play scheme.

Full article: https://www.gamespot.com/gamescom/elder-scrolls-online-will-have-subscription-fee-6413369/

What are your thoughts guys?

I think it's not a bad decision. I would really hate F2P model, where real money could unbalance the game. The only F2P I really appreciate is the one, where you can spend money on non vital items, such as some pets, clothing that is not affecting any stats or other similar visual things - perhaps cool looking mounts or mount armour that won't affect their speed or defence rating, stuff like that.

I will definitely be trying TES:O once it's released, if only to see what it's gonna be like. If it's good, I won't mind paying that kind of money for playing it. I am not planning to become hardcore player (I used to when playing WoW. It did not ended well for my social life and my relationship at the time). Stay casual and enjoy the game for 8 quid a month! :)

My guess is that this is just gonna be another game where they try to make it an MMO based the fact that it is already a respected franchise.

Funny they do not realize that people apparently throw more money at a game like LOL then an MMO even though the former only (essentially) has cosmetic items to offer.

Make cool gameplay and people will pay for the shiny looking stuff all by themselves!

To complete the former comparison .. then I would not care much if it was possible to unlock special classes etc by both money or by grinding ingame.

The main problem for games of this type it to provide interesting gameplay.... and keep people interested.

I have my doubts about Elder Scrolls Online. It still looks like an Elder Scrolls paintjob over generic MMO mechanics. I have yet to see anything that makes it particularly compelling as a game, let alone compelling as an Elder Scrolls type RPG.

By making it a subscription-based model, I feel like all they've done is make it a financial failure as well as a creative failure. We'll see, though; I'd love to be surprised.

My guess is that this is just gonna be another game where they try to make it an MMO based the fact that it is already a respected franchise.

Funny they do not realize that people apparently throw more money at a game like LOL then an MMO even though the former only (essentially) has cosmetic items to offer.

Make cool gameplay and people will pay for the shiny looking stuff all by themselves!

To complete the former comparison .. then I would not care much if it was possible to unlock special classes etc by both money or by grinding ingame.

The main problem for games of this type it to provide interesting gameplay.... and keep people interested.

Exactly the reason I said: "If it's good" :) However: I would say it's not only the matter of content and gameplay, but also the community. I'd actually say it's 60% content, 40% community.

WoW was a good game IMHO. I really did enjoy playing it. I was in 2 awesome guilds, where apart from serious raids and questing we were doing all sorts of crazy and creative stuff, like mount racing with checkpoints, guild festival with activities, guild lottery, guild member weddings, PvP sabotage (i.e. capture the flag, where instead of running for the flag we would all stay in our base and have a picnic with baskets, big umbrellas etc... Sometimes the opposite side would dig it and join us :D) and many other similar insane stuff.

The fun stopped when a lot of stupid "lol-kids" started to appear on the servers. In time it just got boring and lots of good people quit, which in effect killed the game for me.

MMO gameplay in general is really boring repetitive junk by design. They need to keep you online longer. The only good things about an ES MMO is the following:

1) Fleshed out lore.

2) Cool looking enemies and maybe new things we haven't seen before.

3) Being able to chat / hang out with other ES fans.

From what I've seen thus far the gameplay looks really really generic.

MMO gameplay in general is really boring repetitive junk by design. They need to keep you online longer. The only good things about an ES MMO is the following:

1) Fleshed out lore.

2) Cool looking enemies and maybe new things we haven't seen before.

3) Being able to chat / hang out with other ES fans.

From what I've seen thus far the gameplay looks really really generic.

This has been the main issue with a lot of MMOs as of late. When Star Wars: The Old Republic was released I played for hours and hours. Now it's just boring repetitive gameplay. Different mission, different planet but same old crap over and over again. It turn free to play (greatly limited as expected when MMOs turn free to play) a good while back; however, I haven't played in about a year.

I don't think I ever really wanted to go back to World of Warcraft (yes, I played for maybe a month or so) after I dipped my fingers (and a great deal of my cash) into it. (Why did I spend so much money on a game that I didn't play for a while? Who the Oblivion knows.)

I cried when WoW came out. It ruined an awesome series. No more sequels to the RTS series and they completely stomped on the lore established in the books. FTL indeed. I played PWI for a while was a general in a guild or whatever that rank was then had a spat with the leader. To be honest the only thing that made that game playable was the gifts I occasionally got through the other members because I helped them out a lot. The mounts and stuff were super expensive like 30 bucks for the lowest mount which was a polar bear (I was gifted one and it made the game bearable since I could harvest items without switching servers) Of course the other thing was how much grinding you had to do at the higher levels. I was like level 89 (out of 100 or 120 I can't remember which) and my daily quests were maybe leveling me up every couple to three weeks (which considering they were like 4500-6000k a piece and I had 15 of them...) Yeah... the only online games I'll consider now are League and the occasional game of Starcraft and Starcraft II on Battlenet.