Problem with Skyrim Mod Organizer and BOSS

perkymcgiggles

Question

Hello everyone,

So I'm having fun playing with Mod Organizer.  It's a great utility, and makes it super easy.  The only draw back (and it's a big draw back) is that it does not organize my ESMs/ESPs.  I've added Boss.exe as the binary, and it successfully launches, but it does not display any of the mods Mod Organizer is managing, and instead only shows the default Skyrim and DLC files. 

My question is, how can I get this working properly?  If I can get this problem solved I think it'll be smooth sailing from then on, but if I can't get BOSS to order my mods then I might as well try something other than Mod Organizer.

Thank you!

Are you using a custom mod dir or default?

Default steam directory, except I have Steam located on a separate drive than my OS.

Um... why is your BOSS in your Steam directory?

I've placed it in many places, I was under the impression it didn't really matter.  Should it be somewhere else?

Use BOSS GUI.exe instead of BOSS.exe and click "View Log" after it runs if it doesn't automatically open. When clicking "recognized plugins" in the log' date=' you should see all your mods listed.[/quote']

Thank you, but this is what made me aware of the problem in the first place.  Here is a view of what BOSS shows after it is done doing it's thing:

Posted Image

It isn't recognizing the other ESPs I have active in MO.  It does pick up the ESPs in my Data directory, but I know MO puts its active mods in its own file structure, so I'm thinking this is where the problem is.  I just don't know how to fix it.  It seems to be working for others. :wallbash:

Working for me. As Neo asked above' date=' are you using the default mod directory for MO or a custom one?[/quote']

I haven't messed with the MO mod directory structure.  This is a fresh install of both Skyrim and MO.  So whatever the default MO sets up is what I'm using.

Well first off you have .bsa's you either need to enable or remove from the data directory (if you've optimized say the DLC .bsa's and added them as Archives) Second in your executable window does BOSS show up like... this?

Posted Image

I haven't gotten to messing with BSAs yet, I'll deal with them later.  And yes, BOSS shows up along side Skyrim and SKSE in that drop down menu and launches successfully, it just organizes my Data directory and not the MO mods.

Yes I think that BOSS in the Steam directory is causing it issues I personally have BOSS in the root of my C: drive

Would you mind explaining how the file structure you are using looks like? 

You should never have skyrim in the default dir. in the program files folder etc. it is known to cause issues. If that is not the case here then it is a tad strange.

It's not in Program Files, Steam is installed on a separate games drive as my main OS uses a SSD.

Also, for those who have it working, did you change any MO settings?  I understand MO keeps the mods you install seperate from the Data directory.  This would explain why BOSS isn't seeing them, is there a way to have the files just be put in my Data directory and just avoid this whole mess?