Problem with Skyrim Mod Organizer and BOSS

perkymcgiggles

Question

Hello everyone,

So I'm having fun playing with Mod Organizer.  It's a great utility, and makes it super easy.  The only draw back (and it's a big draw back) is that it does not organize my ESMs/ESPs.  I've added Boss.exe as the binary, and it successfully launches, but it does not display any of the mods Mod Organizer is managing, and instead only shows the default Skyrim and DLC files. 

My question is, how can I get this working properly?  If I can get this problem solved I think it'll be smooth sailing from then on, but if I can't get BOSS to order my mods then I might as well try something other than Mod Organizer.

Thank you!

Nope. No settings were changed. Only difference I see is that I use BOSS GUI.exe and you're using BOSS.exe.

Actually that IS your issue. I just tested it. If you run BOSS GUI.exe outside of MO, it will not pick up any of your mods installed through MO because MO uses this separate location as a "virtual" Data folder. You simply need to run BOSS GUI.exe in MO instead of BOSS.exe to view the report with your installed mods.

Report back if this fixes the issue or not.

I tried using Boss GUI.exe after you mentioned it the first time with no different results. I just tried reinstalling BOSS again, this time with the installer instead of the archive. It defaulted to the Data folder again, and using Boss GUI.exe in MO it still does not detect the ESPs active within MO. :(

Not sure where I went wrong. I don't feel I've done hardly anything other than install MO and BOSS on a fresh Skyrim install.

I currently have my Steam directory on my SSD (G:\Steam). I have both BOSS and MO in their own folders in the skyrim directory (i.e. G:\Steam\SteamApps\common\skyrim\BOSS\BOSS.exe). I actually installed BOSS to the data directory (leaving MO in skyrim) to see if I could replicate your issue, but I could not, but there's probably other variables at play. My BOSS added through MO uses BOSS.exe, as Skyrim's the only game using it.

This is what my MO settings look like, just for reference... seems like something is a) telling BOSS to look in Data, or b) not telling it so it defaults to Data:

Posted Image

I'd rather not mess with my setup too much but I can install MO/BOSS to test on my husband's computer, as he has no patience for modding...

Hey everyone,

So good news is I got it working. Bad news is I have no idea what I changed. Sorry potential/future Google users, I'll try and give as much information as possible to help others, but I'm really at a loss.

Here is how I have my Mod Organizer set up:

Posted Image

I never changed any of the default settings. I created its own folder in the Skyrim Data directory called 'ModOrganizer' and dragged all the files inside it and I launch the utility from that location.  Here is how that looked:

Posted Image

Originally, I had BOSS installed in a separate folder titled 'BOSS' inside the 'ModOrganizer' folder. When added to MO, I pointed the binary to the Boss.exe from within that directory and it wasn't working, hence why I created this thread. Then, after that I tried placing it in several different places. I tried just moving all the BOSS files and folders inside the Skyrim Data folder. I then pointed MO to use both the Boss.exe and Boss GUI.exe (at different times) from that directory. That still wasn't working. I then put it in the default Skyrim folder, and that wasn't working either.

So here is the last thing I did, and since doing it it has been working! I created a folder called 'BOSS' within the Skyrim Data folder, dragged all the BOSS files in there. I then configured MO to point to the BOSS.exe within that file and it is now working! Proof:

Posted Image

As you can see, it is now detecting all the ESPs it wasn't before. Not sure why it was so picky up the folder structure. I can't think of a single reason why the program needed it setup a certain way since all it needs is access to the binary .exe files, but whatever. I guess that is why I'm not a programmer.  For those curious, this is what my Data folder looks like:

Posted Image

I'd like to thank you all so much for your time and responses to this. I hope me posting my experience will help someone else in the future so it isn't a total waste. Here's to hoping to no more hiccups while using STEP! :P

Something I also found out is that the BOSS log that MO generates is located in a different directory than the normal BOSS log. If you go into overwrite > BOSS > Skyrim you will see a BOSSlog.html... that is the one that is relevant to your MO install. The one that kept popping up was showing me the original BOSSlog.html with the vanilla ESMs/ESPs located in the default Data directory. It's likely that this was tripping me up, as any change I made I never saw until I looked in the BOSSlog.html that resides within the MO folders. Just thought I'd forward this information along just in case it helps someone in the future. :)

I had issues getting Boss to work on MO as well, I assigned it as moderator, had all correct paths for install and .exe, but still it would not work, finaly I tried compatability mode Win7, (I have Win8), and BAM! it works now.  Might help some people, thought I would post my findings.