question about wrye sub-packages naming convention

barry

Question

i'm about to use wrye bash as my mod manager. so before doing so, i have read a lot of guides about it including those not mentioned here. my question is about creating a complex bain installer. i know the theory behing alphanumeric ordering but no guide has explained why or when should i prefix a folder 00, 01 or 10, some structures are in increments of 5 like 00, 10, 15, 20... and so on. i dont understand how they come up with these numbers. if ordering is all that matter, why cant they name it as 1, 2, 3 and so on. also are core files can only be named "core"

4 answers to this question

From what I understood, 00 is the main folder and should contain files that are always installed. And that 10, 20, etc are considered optional so multiple 10's would mean "pick only one of these" but I believe some authors also use 11, 12, etc. to indicate that only one should be used from the group.

So something like:

00 - Main Textures

10 - Draugr

11 - Uglier Draugr

20 - Spiders

21 - Uglier Spiders

Or:

00 - Main Textures

10 - Draugr

10 - Uglier Draugr

20 - Spiders

20 - Uglier Spiders

would indicate that you would only pick one Draugr folder if any, AND\OR one Spider folder if any.

I could be totally wrong though, I've only made one BAIN package ever and it was for my own Wrye bash use :P

The conventional way is that any two folders with the same number are choices that you pick just one. So yes you pick either 10 draugr or 10 uglier draugr. With folders that are 10, 11, 12..... you should be able to pick as many as you want. Not all mods follow this convention, and with the advent of wizards it's can be up to the mod author.

Yes, the numbers exist only for sorting effect, because the sorting order defines the heirarchy of the overrides. BAIN sorts the subfolders alphanumerically, so 1, 2, 3, ... n will sort as expected from 0 - 9. However, once there are ten or more subdirectories, then you have a problem if this is not accounted for by the labels and taking into account the alphanumeric sorting behavior. So, ...

... is not intuitive or desired. Adding in the leading zeros solves the problem. When a mod is created, the creator needs to determine if there will ever be more than 10 or even 100 options and account for that in the numbering scheme. Sadly, there is no written "standard", but most people use an intuitive method, and you should only be concerned with the end result of the sort order. Then you can renumber yourself, or in some cases, you don't even need numbers.