CTD and Performance patch ENBoost (by Boris Vorontsov)

EssArrBee

... and also I highly doubt your CTDs are related to your setting for VideoMemorySizeMB.

I've also come to this conclusion in the last hour or so. It was just another step in my troubleshooting process. If you think you can help, I have a thread open over in general support with more details.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Regarding Boris's new vram tool. You can use it but some people are running into some trouble. Be sure you close your browser and any GPU accelerated programs. In fact, you really shouldn't have much running while using it.

For me it reported 7808.

Using the formula we provide on the ENBoost mod page and ENB Guide, I currently have mine set to 7735. According to Boris, you need to set the number a little less than what the tool produces so Windows will still have some memory to use, in case you somehow fill it up. You should subtract a minimum of 170 for Windows 7 and 350 for Windows 8/10. If you're like most people, you'll have programs running in the background so I'd double those numbers in most cases. That would be 340 for Windows 7 and 700 for Windows 8/10.

However, you have to know your system. If you don't know it any have never analyzed how your system uses memory, especially while a modded Skyrim is running, then I would strictly follow the advice on the mod page/wiki and my advice above. You can use the tool instead of manually finding your Total Available Graphics Memory and then subtract the necessary value from the number it gives you.

For more advanced users who have analyzed their system, you can keep whatever number you like. For example, I could keep 7735 because I know my system rarely uses more than 6GB total when a STEP modified Skyrim is running; therefore, my system still has 2GB of memory free to use for whatever it needs.

I am running into an odd issue.  I went to use Vramsizetest, VRamSizeDX11.exe, and it returned 61920.....now wtf?  

I ran VRamSizeDX9.exe, and it returned 4032.

I have 16G vram, 2G video.  

When looking under Screen Resolution i get Total Available Graphics Mem = 4096, Dedicated V Mem = 2048,

Sys V Mem = 0, Shared Sys Mem 2048.

Why under Screen Res do I only see 4G?

Why is VRamSizeDX11.exe returning 61920?

is this an indication of bad vram?

For Skyrim and ENBoost, you run the DX9 version and nothing else. The DX11 is provided for the DX11 games that also have ENBSeries provided for them, but of Skyrim you ignore it.

@Silverpanther

The difference in the two versions will be drivers and things running the background.

@Hellanios

What is in your system regarding VRAM and RAM? Also where are you looking to see Total Available Graphics Memory?

Both of you need to make sure the browser is closed and nothing major is running the background. Mine reported about the same numbers.

For Skyrim and ENBoost, you run the DX9 version and nothing else. The DX11 is provided for the DX11 games that also have ENBSeries provided for them, but of Skyrim you ignore it.

@Silverpanther

The difference in the two versions will be drivers and things running the background.

@Hellanios

What is in your system regarding VRAM and RAM? Also where are you looking to see Total Available Graphics Memory?

Both of you need to make sure the browser is closed and nothing major is running the background. Mine reported about the same numbers.

Ok, so use DX9 not DX11 got it.

Why only 4032?  is there a way of making more ram available for video? seems like a waste to have 16G and only use 2G of it.

I guess that is the last confusion for me.

@Tech

VRAM is 1GB and system RAM is 6GB. Using the instructions on the ENBoost mod page, 3839 is the Total Available Graphics Memory which is closer to what the tool indicates. I guess that I should also use the

[Total Available Video Memory] - [170 (for win7) or 350 (for win8/10)] formula even though my system RAM is less that 8GB.

Ok, so use DX9 not DX11 got it.

Why only 4032?  is there a way of making more ram available for video? seems like a waste to have 16G and only use 2G of it.

I guess that is the last confusion for me.

What is your VRAM? You can't just toss in 16GB of RAM and tell ENBoost to use 15GBs of it. The tool (and formula) reports only what part of that is available for graphic use. This is determined by several factors but the biggest impact I've seen on it is the amount of VRAM you have. I have 4GBs of VRAM and getting a reported 7808 being available for graphics. That means that all my VRAM is available plus an extra 3.6GBs of RAM (of which I only have 8GBs of RAM). This just goes to prove what I tell everyone, more RAM does not mean better gaming. 8GBs is still the defacto amount that you need when simply building a single card gaming system. The only reason to upgrade to more is for editing programs.

@Tech

VRAM is 1GB and system RAM is 6GB. Using the instructions on the ENBoost mod page, 3839 is the Total Available Graphics Memory which is closer to what the tool indicates. I guess that I should also use the

[Total Available Video Memory] - [170 (for win7) or 350 (for win8/10)] formula even though my system RAM is less that 8GB.

Interesting. Thanks for the report. I'd be curious to see if more users experience the same. If so, we may need to update the recommendations.

What is your VRAM? You can't just toss in 16GB of RAM and tell ENBoost to use 15GBs of it. The tool (and formula) reports only what part of that is available for graphic use. This is determined by several factors but the biggest impact I've seen on it is the amount of VRAM you have. I have 4GBs of VRAM and getting a reported 7808 being available for graphics. That means that all my VRAM is available plus an extra 3.6GBs of RAM (of which I only have 8GBs of RAM). This just goes to prove what I tell everyone, more RAM does not mean better gaming. 8GBs is still the defacto amount that you need when simply building a single card gaming system. The only reason to upgrade to more is for editing programs.

When looking under Screen Resolution i get Total Available Graphics Mem = 4096, Dedicated V Mem = 2048,

Sys V Mem = 0, Shared Sys Mem 2048.

So I have 16G of sys ram  and 2G video card.

It seems more or less a mirror of Video Mem.  You have 4G Video and are using 3.6G of sys ram.

I have 2G Video and use 2G sys ram

So the only way to increase the 4096, for me, would be to get a video card with more than 2G of Vram

Yes?

I have 2GB VRAM and 8GB System RAM and VRamSizeDX9.exe tells me that 5792 MB are available for graphic use. 

Looking under screen resolution I get these values: Total Available Graphics Mem = 5835, Dedicated V Mem = 2048, Sys V Mem = 0, Shared Sys Mem = 3787.