ATI Driver Issues

AngryEeyore

Question

The only problems I am having is very low FPS (followed instructions to a T and reverted back to the 12.3 Catalyst drivers which used to give good performance) and I get a weird sword sound when I collect flowers and certain goods. The low FPS is something that I may need to figure out on my end (IE perhaps it is time for a new PSU and GPU) but the sound is kind of odd.

Check the latest update, precisely here:

-Added the “ICS Possible Fixâ€optional addon for Improved Combat Sounds, which fixes the previous bug.

Install that addon, enable it and you should be fine with the sword sound.

About the low fps, you should try reducing graphics setting, disabling AA etc, unless it's a driver issue.

I honestly think it is a driver issue... but when I revert back to 12.3 it is like I can't shake the curse of the 12.4 off. I use driver sweeper and delete all things AMD/ATI related and I still get the same old bad performance. Not to mention it is near impossible to play in crossfire. It drops my FPS by an extra 5 - 10 if I turn it on. AMD is just dead to me. But I will say this... the results look fantastic and I find it is worth putting effort into getting my system on track to play it.

Have you guys been able to improve upon the poor fps from playing Skyrim in Trifire vs crossfire? I get better performance with just two video cards and wonder what I was thinking getting a third! Swear I'm getting a 680 4gb card when I have the cash..

Also use gpu-z to see how much vram being used?

Thanks.

never tested trifire. Use GPU-z and divide by 3 for VRAM consumption

Why divide by three?

From Hardware Guide

"A note about SLI/Crossfire and multi-GPU cards Each GPU in a system must have its own dedicated VRAM that is not shareable, additionally in order for GPU's to work together they need to have access to exactly the same resources. What this means is that for multi-gpu configurations (whether its several different cards or multiple chips on a single card) all VRAM memory must be mirrored, so if you add up your total VRAM and divide by the number of GPU's you get your functional dedicated VRAM. All the extra VRAM for each additional GPU makes absolutely no performance difference whatsoever, it is entirely utilized to make the GPU's able to work together seamlessly. So lets say you have just spent $1620 for 3 HD 7970's in Crossfire, what you would expect is that your games will now have 9GB of VRAM available to them, in reality you are still limited to 3GB and the other 6GB is utilized entirely to make the other GPU's compatible."