aMidianBorn Caves and Mines (by CaBaL)

kryptopyr

i'd keep a deep breath before talking of moon and sun...and a zen pause...

anyway...

frozen caves available

I'm not sure I understand at all. 
nevermind sparrowprince...just my personal medicine against precipitous judgments...zen

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd keep a deep breath before talking of moon and sun...and a zen pause...

anyway...

frozen caves available

I'm not sure I understand at all. 
nevermind sparrowprince...just my personal medicine against precipitous judgments...zen
You shouldn't hate on it. I know you put a lot of work it, but I personally bloody love critique. Try modelling a load of trees, texturing them, getting them working, and quite a few people not liking them... It's hard, but I went back and re-made them because I knew I could do better. I'm really happy with them now and I'm glad I did it. :) I was just giving feedback on one texture, I really liked the others including the mushrooms you made. In fact I loved the mushrooms. I'm just saying we don't live in a world of cotton wool and fluffy kittens.

Cheers, bud. :)

do not misunderstand me mate, absolutely no hate or ********-like, critique is the ONLY way to improve things...and i'm glad to read criticism when i can.

that said i see angel likes beauty of skyrim and pushes in that direction (not that word changes for me if this mod o mine is included or not) stressing just what he does not like in my work and not showing what's objectively wrong in other textures sets (if he sees issues...otherwise i do not know what to think) .... just far from being perfect....also sentences like "makes for good shots but not to play" seem only subjective to me.

angel is not a newbie... analisis seems a bit "coarse" in this case to say the truth...

in matter of material i edited my previous post putting on a couple of images to show what i mean.... the point is always the same...and also my question....do we chose mod for how much they stick on vanilla appearence (in this case i'd understand SRO and the other texture tweak recomended) or we try to have something a bit more realistic and out of the box?

again... in both cases nothing changes for me...i'm not kidding i really do not care....i'd just keep doing my things,in my way :)

just MY point of view in my usual rude way ....not expecting to change people mind....hope it's all clear, hate to have these misunderstandments for silly things.

I did have a look at these not long ago Tech and I'm sorry to say to Cabal, but I noticed exactly what you just said in your post. I once talked to a guy who used to work at Bizarre Creations (poor guy got made redundant) and he told me you should iron out all specular in your diffuse and let the normal map do all the work. It's okay for games like World of Warcraft, but modern games using normal maps shouldn't have it baked in. The reason is quite obvious why - it just looks fake because it generally is. 

And, yes I would expect caves to be more gunge-like and smooth. I think the more normal map specular sheen, the better in caves. Slimy! :) Alright maybe not that much. ;)

im a little bit confused, so was wondering if you may clarify.. when you say "iron out all specular in your diffuse and let the normal map do all the work" are you saying that speculars should be in diffuse maps and not normals (for "modern games" like skyrim) ??

I did have a look at these not long ago Tech and I'm sorry to say to Cabal, but I noticed exactly what you just said in your post. I once talked to a guy who used to work at Bizarre Creations (poor guy got made redundant) and he told me you should iron out all specular in your diffuse and let the normal map do all the work. It's okay for games like World of Warcraft, but modern games using normal maps shouldn't have it baked in. The reason is quite obvious why - it just looks fake because it generally is. 

And, yes I would expect caves to be more gunge-like and smooth. I think the more normal map specular sheen, the better in caves. Slimy! :) Alright maybe not that much. ;)

im a little bit confused, so was wondering if you may clarify.. when you say "iron out all specular in your diffuse and let the normal map do all the work" are you saying that speculars should be in diffuse maps and not normals (for "modern games" like skyrim) ??
sadly from oblivion and on specular is essential...cant just make a dark one because nifsettings and game engine are wrong ,and it's just the tecnical side of the thing...if game lighting is crap...do not blame proper specular .i also keep in mind the 2,3 enb users with a better lighting

yeah...forgot to answer this part :D

and also my question....do we chose mod for how much they stick on vanilla appearence (in this case i'd understand SRO and the other texture tweak recomended) or we try to have something a bit more realistic and out of the box?

Cabal, to answer your question - STEP aims to enhance the visual aspect of Skyrim - but it also vows to stick to vanilla style of the game as much as possible. Purely from STEP point of view anything that is similar to vanilla would be better. This was the principle of this project since the very beginning. So quite often mods that look stunning would be ditched in favour of mods that may look worse, but are closer to vanilla graphical style.

Now, personally I installed Beauty of Skyrim, then I let Hectrol's overwrite that and lastly I added your mod on top of that. This way I get ALL your textures, but also BoS and Hectrol's for the ones your mod doesn't cover (yet?). I am sure that many users will also favour your mod to BoS, but - again - from STEP point of view this may be not the best choice.

and also my question....do we chose mod for how much they stick on vanilla appearence (in this case i'd understand SRO and the other texture tweak recomended) or we try to have something a bit more realistic and out of the box?

Cabal, to answer your question - STEP aims to enhance the visual aspect of Skyrim - but it also vows to stick to vanilla style of the game as much as possible. Purely from STEP point of view anything that is similar to vanilla would be better. This was the principle of this project since the very beginning. So quite often mods that look stunning would be ditched in favour of mods that may look worse, but are closer to vanilla graphical style.

Now, personally I installed Beauty of Skyrim, then I let Hectrol's overwrite that and lastly I added your mod on top of that. This way I get ALL your textures, but also BoS and Hectrol's for the ones your mod doesn't cover (yet?). I am sure that many users will also favour your mod to BoS, but - again - from STEP point of view this may be not the best choice.

yep...i know about the principle rootstrat... clearly always hope for an "out of the box "option...finding it more creative and way more interesting... but i know the step point of view :)

i agree without any problem bout the line, what blocked my digestion was angel's prospective (i'm kidding eh...better to remember this detail) which is simply unilateral. 

for respect for other modders i will not put my analisis here... but if we go on the tecnical matter  the list of things to write is long... about all the 3 mods.

angel cannot just end the discussion with his impressions (again hoping he's able to see the more and bigger problems on other textures sets)

is a comparison? let's compare then....otherwise is an opinion on a showcase.

hope noone get offended....i repeat that does change nothing for me if this or any mod of mine is added in core options...i'm not pulling in any direction...i'm just saying that analisis should be less fancy

Snow and Rocks           >>           aMidianBorn

Posted Image___Posted Image  

Snow and Rocks           >>           aMidianBorn

Snow and Rocks           >>           aMidianBorn

I think Snow and Rocks textures often look like someone painted on the walls. A big mixture of yellow/green/orange paint. There is no real texturing on the color maps.. it looks like if i went and rubbed my hand on it, the surface would feel nice and smooth, almost glossy, with no hint of any sediment, dirt, or silt.  The only texturing i see is these little collections of tiny pyramids (see picture below).. like ummm, what are those anyway? Theres notehing in vanilla cave textures that even resembles this type of feature.  And, even though they kind of look neat sometimes, it still doesnt do anything to compensate for the lack of sedimentary/dirt/sandstone-ish texturing and still looks like smooth, polished and buffed rocks with paint.

miniature pyramids

Posted Image

Sorry for the lack of vanilla compares, i dont have a lot of spare time right now, but wanted to provide enough to at least demonstrate my claim.

@CaBaL : I am just curious what is your native language for speaking?

i'm italian michaelrw...really sorry for the terrificant english and the many awfull errors... but is what i had from school around 18+ years ago,my university studies (did twice ,history of art and history) did not contain english exams...i'm a beast in ancient greek and ancient latin... both do not help much on forums ...lol :)

Well' date=' you would survive well if you were somehow time travel'd back to the classical times... you'd be a cunning linguist.[/quote']

medicine,science,laws still make a massive use of those languages, and the best part is to read ancient and medieval literature and poetry in the language used to write those things, without possibility of errors with full understandment of some concepts.

kind of time travel :)

"dead" languages are never really dead afterall...at least till somebody actually reads them