skyrim mod organizer v.0.12.9 download questions

Quahogs

Question

Most likely extremely basic but I just can't find a similar issue anywhere

1)  DCF plugin, Quality world maps w/roads, small curser, tobes hi-res textures, hybrids plants and herb ---> all mods and a few others that when I open give me a message

If I continue there is an explanation but it's a bit confusing to me.   Any ideas what the issue is here ?

2) Some mods like Bellyaches, Lantern of Skyrim, Birds and flocks Hearthfire edition cleaned, Dawnguard skill interface retexture among others show a red triangle with the message "information missing,please select query info from the context menu to re-retrieve"  For most of these I installed the mod and I'm assuming they're ok but that could be a big assumption on my part.  Again I tried to read the info file on various mods but don't really grasp where or how to procede.

3) I noticed in NMM that you can launch the game thru a tab SKYRIM or SKSE.   I know there are certain mods that need SKSE to work correctly.  If that is the case then I should always launch the game thru the SKSE tab ?    

thanks all for your help.  Being new to the gaming (current) arena I find the constant game mod additions fascinating and can't wait to get everything just so (impossible? :-)  ;) and finally get gaming ! 

• Answers 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Be easier to buy a working STEP copy that's for sure. :-( Thru trial and error it seems checking the esp box for either diverse priests_consistent older people patch or disease and descriptions RND compatible prevent the game from even launching. I get a quick glimpse of the spinning emblem before it cuts to desktop.

I guess what I'm trying to determine is if the mod is installed WITHOUT having the esp box checked.

Some mods only overwrite the default stuff like textures and meshes so they do not need an esp.

I think you may have some mods with missing dependencies. If you install part of STEP and start the game say after each section then some plugins will not work since they are missing mods they depend on. Those red text boxes that you saw when you ran BOSS is what they were for. BOSS lets you know if you are missing a mod that is required and you just leave that unchecked until that mod is installed.

Well, SKSE has to be installed manually, and then with Fore's New Idles and Dual Sheath Redux you will need to add those to the MO executables. You already have SKSE so no big deal.

Fisrt off add BOSS to the list by clicking the button with two little gears, then type in BOSS as the name. Click the button with the '...' on the binary line and find the exe for BOSS where ever you installed it and then click add.

For Fore's New Idles you need to click the data tab and look for the tools section toward the bottom and then GenerateFNIS for users. There is an exe there that you can right click->Add as Executable.

For Dual sheath Redux navigate under the data tab to SkyProc Patchers->Dual Sheath Redux Patch and then add the Dual Sheath Redux Patch.jar as an executable like you did for FNIS.

For these you would install the mod in the order listed on the guide, but then run them after you install everything else from the same dropdown as SKSE and Skyrim. Run the FNIS first then the Dual Sheath Redux.

hi there, running into a little snag.  Following your instructions to add dual sheath as an exe however the ext. is .jar and it opens a select binary box.  Should I be renaming the .jar .exe ?    Also when I launch the .exe 's as per your order is that only needed once ?   It's not something that has to be done prior to game launch all the time is it ?    

Thank you

No the .jar files will automatically assign the proper exe to run when you select the add as executable. It is usually something like java.exe or javaw.exe. Just make sure that ever box (Name, binary, start in, argument) is full and click add. Usually MO will fill in that for you.

For dual sheath redux you the instructions are to install it like it is a regular mod and then select all the packs that coincide with the mods you have. All those packs that are needed for STEP are listed on the dual sheath redux wiki page. You run it once after you complete you installation and that is it. The only time you run it again is if you change your install by adding in new mods. Usually mods that don't have any plugins (esp/esm) are ignored for this, and really unless you are adding in armor and/or weapons then I doubt that it needs to be run again.

It was the java. Once I loaded java 7 it was able to set up the exe no problem.

What is it with those two mods? With those in place my existing games are toast (no matter in infancy anyway) but a new start from the horse carriage on is whacked. I am in the carriage but the view is a real close up- you never see the other characters. However once I uncheck those mods everything seems to work fine.

All these tweaks mods and orders makes me feel like I'm taking a dagger into a gun fight ;-)

If you doing something like updating a mod from version 1 to version 2 and version 2 does not require version 1 then do the replace. If the update requires version 1 then merge, or rename the file so it gets it's own place and then put it under in the mod list. This way the update overwrites the other file.

Ok, and what about when a second completely different mod asks? Example, complete flora overhaul and then later on a different landscape mod? Some texture mods do the same thing. Does choosing replace ever screw things up?

Basically Im about halfway through the STEP process and Ive been using replace instead of merge. Should I start over?

And thanks for the reply.

Yeah, the naming thing is something you need to watch, since MO will sometimes try to name mods incorrectly so just be aware of it and change the mod to the proper name. You don't want to be replacing and combining mods that are different altogether.

Since MO uses a virtual directory, you will install the files from both mods and have named different so they appear in their own folder. Based on the way you list your mods in priority will determine which mods end overwriting others, but that is okay.

Ok, thanks a lot. So lemme just make sure I'm clear on the process.

If I get a query asking to merge or replace, if it's an entirely separate mod I should do a rename?

Example: Complete Flora Overhaul is installed first. Then Ultimate Lush Overhaul. When installing Ultimate Lush, I should rename it when it asks for a replace/merge?

And if it's a new version of the same mod I should do a "replace"?

What about some of the optional installs for certain mods? Is a replace in order?

Also wondering about patches for certain mods, I.E. Ash footprints for Dawnguard re: Footprints mod. Im guessing a merge is in order?

Sorry for all the noob questions. Im putting a lot of work into this STEP process, heh.

Okay, so for optionals you have two choices and that is to merge or just rename it to something else. So in the Footprints case, first you install Footprints under the name Footprints and then the Ash Supplemental is next for the Dragonborn prints. MO asks you if you want to merge, replace, rename and cancel. you could merge it and have both mods under the name Footprints or just rename it and then name it Footprints - Ash Supplements.

Never merge different mods that would be way to hard to keep track of, do a rename. If you have three different mods all name Flora Overhaul, you would forget what mods are merged together after a week or so.

Only do the replace for updates if the update does not require the original mod. SMIM is a good example of this because the author will post minor updates for a few versions that requires the main mod. He recently updated to v1.49, but before that you had to get v1.47 main file and the v1.48 update. If you had v1.47 you had to merge the v1.48, but if you got the v1.49 it was entire package, so you would replace.

EDIT: Always ask noob question or you never stop being one.

I am following Skyrim Revisited and went to install Skyrim Particle Patch for ENB via Mod Organizer. I get the "no game data on top level" message. There's a data folder with two subfolders: meshes and textures. As per advice about this being an "improperly packaged mod", I pulled the textures folder out so that it is no longer a subfolder and got the "Looks Good" message. I did not complete installation for 2 reasons:

1. Neovalen didn't include any special installation instructions in SR which he normally does for mods that have extra steps or issues.

2. I have not installed ENB yet (I think that comes later in the SR process) and wasn't sure if Neovalen intended this mod to be downloaded now and installed later.

Obviously, I don't have much information on this particular mod and I don't want to install it without knowing for sure what I'm doing. Trying to be cautious.

EDIT: It also seems like right-clicking the Data folder and setting it as data directory clears the error message and gives me the "Looks good" message. Intuition tells me that this is what I'm supposed to do but again, I want to make triple sure before I install the mod.

Thanks!