Step Guide-Mod Testing

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nooo, two of my favorite mods are in the do not use list... Immersive Armors for NPCs and Interesting NPCs :(

Umm... Immersive Armours is on the green list. So it's just the additional plugin.

And Interesting NPCs has only 19 UDRs (REFR and ACHR), so hopefully those can be cleaned up before long.

I'm gonna post the results of the full STEP list separately in the bug thread and make recommendations there.

Nice work! This is a big help. At the very least, it points to a first-priority mod list to deactivate/uninstall for anyone encountering any mysterious glitches or CTDs.

... I'll add this info to the dev spreadsheet if you recommend.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks like MadWizard did a good job of setting up the experimental process by reducing all the outside variables, but never really got into development of actual test procedure :P

I'll write that up over the next few days, waiting for initial review of the outline and basic profile before jumping into specifics.

• 11 months later...

Talk about reviving old threads!

I just wanted to give an update on my progress since spearheading the Mod Testing front, as part of my Release Coordination duties.

As you can tell by the revival of this thread (nearly a year without a post), that the Mod Testing Guide went nearly as long without any refinement or updates. I took over and the Guide has significantly changed since. It is now a more step by step approach and filled with current and relevant information. As, I've mentioned from time to time on the forums, I've been creating, updating and revising as I have been diving deeper into mod testing. Thus, the overhaul has been slower than usual. One of the biggest changes for the guide is no more support for Wrye Bash. Why? Well that answer is two fold:

One, Mod Organizer has proven itself a far easier and more efficient program to handle mod testing needs with more of the features required, being wrapped up into a single program. With WB, you had to use at least three different programs to efficiently test mods (WB, BSAopt, and SIS). MO replaces all of these and then some.

Two, it was (and still is) becoming impractical to create content for two entirely different programs; especially when that content is a guide. It doubles the work for the writer and takes much more time This goes hand in hand with the fact that Wrye Bash as been dead in the water in terms of development for a good while now; only recently releasing a small update to patch a couple bugs. Meanwhile, Mod Organizer has had full development support in correcting bugs, adding new features and adding new enhancements a few times a month. Tannin (the MO developer) has even moved his troubleshooting support off of Nexus and to the STEP forums.

There is still a good ways to go on the Guide; however, I have taken up to editing it a few times a week again. It should be completed around the time of the 2.2.8 release. I'd ask that you review the guide; however please continue to refrain from updating or adding content to it until I am able to finish with my work.

More to come so stay tuned!