Better Shaped Weapons - BSW (by masterofshadows and LeanWolf)

WilliamImm

Hm, so theoretically I could install it after DSR, since it contains some sort of DSR patch?

I am sure the author didn't intend for the users to separate files and creating a "submod". It should work "out of the box", I'd guess.

If you want to use DSR and not separate the files, then yes, you have to install it after DSR.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been using this mod for a long time, and I agree it should be included in STEP.

Yes, it should say 'installation order' rather than 'load order'. As for DSR, I have DSR towards the end of my installation order, and I had to separate DSR meshes from this mod and re-install them as a separate 'mod'. 

I was under the impression that refraction versions required the relevant mods to be installed first. If this is indeed the case, then we should not install those options. Need confirmation

I meant installation order. I was under the impression that the reflection effect are done via meshes. From the author, "skysan4298's refraction technique added to my glass and stalhrim meshes, it makes them reflective and shiny. These can be used as-is for shiny opaque weapons (looks cool) or with his mod for transparency (overwrite his meshes)." Sounds to me as if it works on its own.

Hm, so theoretically I could install it after DSR, since it contains some sort of DSR patch?

I am sure the author didn't intend for the users to separate files and creating a "submod". It should work "out of the box", I'd guess.

If you want to use DSR and not separate the files, then yes, you have to install it after DSR.

Octopuss, you need to learn to read the mod pages. From the author, "Dual Sheath Redux patch: overwrite the DSR meshes." Roots is running off of 2.2.9 by the sounds of it. The recommended installation order is fine for STEP 2.2.8; however, will change for 2.2.9 because DSR is moved to the bottom. Most likely we'll just install the patch as a standalone mod after DSR for 2.2.9. I'm recommending a 2.2.8 installation order because we have a lot of users that install mods as soon as they're accepted.

I've been using this for a long time and really enjoy it. The thing is, it recently got more options. What options should we advocate?

Install DSR patch. Custom Installation. Skip all quivers. Nord Hero - Nord Hero Swords. More Options - All. Glass sword with refraction. Chillrend with refraction. Dawnbreaker A. Dragonbone - DragonBoring. Stalhrim with Refraction.

These are the options I used and should pretty much just replace vanilla with the exception of the refracted weapons.

The DSR patch should be among the last in the install order, IIRC. The DSR plugin itself can remain up top under 'Fixes' (someone correct me if I am wrong, but DSR patches with meshes needed for the custom skeleton, assuming that the necessary patches are used for DSR)

The DSR's patch is not what we're talking bout. There is a patch for this mod for DSR and is installed during the mod installation. For 2.2.8, this patch can be installed inline with BSW. For 2.2.9, we'll have to install BSW twice. Once of the mod and once of the BSW DSR Patch that will have to be moved to the bottom of the load order.

Or are you saying that DSR's patch form the DSR mod should be at the bottom anyway?  I merge all the patches into DSR itself and have the DSR Output directly after the the DSR mod in my installation order. No apparent issues from doing this.

The DSR's patch is not what we're talking bout. There is a patch for this mod for DSR and is installed during the mod installation. For 2.2.8, this patch can be installed inline with BSW. For 2.2.9, we'll have to install BSW twice. Once of the mod and once of the BSW DSR Patch that will have to be moved to the bottom of the load order.

Or are you saying that DSR's patch form the DSR mod should be at the bottom anyway?  I merge all the patches into DSR itself and have the DSR Output directly after the the DSR mod in my installation order. No apparent issues from doing this.

The patches should not necessarily be at the bottom, but they should overwrite the patched mod. So you could have, say: DSR > BSW > BSW-DSR Patch. 

Personally, because I keep every DSR patch as a separate mod (I like it that way), I have DSR towards the end of my install order, followed by a long list of separate DSR patches. 

I think what Z means is to place DSR mod itself in Fixes section, towards the top of install order, then install the relevant patches at he end (effectively placing them at the bottom of install order list in MO).

The patches should not necessarily be at the bottom, but they should overwrite the patched mod. So you could have, say: DSR > BSW > BSW-DSR Patch.

But the BSW-DSR Patch is an option in the BSW fomod installer, so you can't really install it separately from BSW unless you do it manually (which would be a pain too, since there are multiple options)

Hmmm. There is a lot of variation described here, so we should settle on one method for STEP in the guide. As described, I run the DSR java app and let it create the patch. This is one of the last things I do after installing all mods and cmpatibility patches. I then install the DSR patch at the very end by creating a mod using the Skyproc-patch meshes that are configured in my Overwrite directory.

Hmmm. There is a lot of variation described here, so we should settle on one method for STEP in the guide. As described, I run the DSR java app and let it create the patch. This is one of the last things I do after installing all mods and cmpatibility patches. I then install the DSR patch at the very end by creating a mod using the Skyproc-patch meshes that are configured in my Overwrite directory.

I do the same but move this patch to directly under the DSR mod in the installation order. This might not be the proper way of doing this but the patch doesn't conflict with anything so I didn't see it hurting anything either. There are no instructions on the wiki page on what to do with the patch once created.

@CJ2311

You are correct. I just tried installing only the patch in the installer and it results in an empty mod. This means we'll have to use the load order: DSR>>BSW (no BSW-DSR patch unless manually created). If you go by the 2.2.9 Guide that means BSW will have to be put into 2.N Patches under DSR. Or we move DSR back up to Fixes.

• 3 weeks later...

Simply added this mod to the bottom of section I and added a note on the Dual Sheath Redux patch.

BTW, I'm assuming we prefer the Closer Quivers mod for quivers, so I have made the options not install any of the quivers from this mod. Also, I have taken the liberty to suggest options for what I believe best fits STEP, albeit I may be wrong. Additionally, I'm pretty sure this mod gives greatswords full sheathes, so we might want to change our options in Greatsword Sheathe Redux to match this.