355 replies to this topic

#346 elwaps

elwaps

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 07:14 AM

Skyrim usually got a low CPU load (even with STEP and a ton of mods on top of it), I can't imagine your processor would be a bottleneck.

It would be still interesting to see you benchmarking your STEP installation with an additional CPU load chart. I've measured my "other data" when installing 2.2.9.1:

- CPU load never over 25%, most of the time below 20%

- RAM never over 300 MB, most of the time about 280 MB

- Pagefile never over 40 MB, most of the time below 35 MB

- SSD load never over 17 MB/s, most of the time about 10 MB/s

Well, I got an i7 3930K which isn't exactly a weak CPU, but I doubt the Skyrim engine is that good with multithreading (looking at a poor 20% gain in fps when using SLI on the GPU side) so I guess you should be perfectly fine.

#347 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,058 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:28 AM

Skyrim got a bad rap for being CPU intensive when it first came out and that rap has never really went away. It's honestly not that bad and will stress out the GPU long before it stresses out the CPU, in most cases.

#348 Getsune

Getsune

Prisoner

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 02:04 PM

I knew that it has had a bad reputation for being heavily reliant on the CPU but never read that this actually got fixed, good to know. I never bothered with benchmarks before because I simply wanted to play. :D That being said, I intend to deliver them this time!

Edited by Getsune, 11 December 2015 - 02:05 PM.

#349 egocarib

egocarib

Citizen

• Mod Authors
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:49 AM

FYI - the hardware guide is a bit outdated in reference to operating systems. No mention of Windows 10 anywhere.  ::):

Windows 8 is Microsoft's newest operating system. It is on par with Windows 7 as far as performance...

#350 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,058 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 07:05 PM

Yep, it's very dated

#351 bitdman

bitdman

Thane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:59 PM

Hay all!    I've been following the progress of the Threadripper CPUs and new GPUs from Amd and have a question. Don't games do better with only 4 cores? If I'm not doing a lot of things at one time why would I need a 8 core or 12 core CPU?  Should I spend my money on really good 4Core CPU? and professional GPU?

#352 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 12,058 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:00 PM

Allow me to simply provide some information to help you come to a more informed decision:

Processors are often misunderstood by a lot of users, including "power users". For gaming, a good 4 core CPU is all that most users will ever need until more games utilize DirectX 12, which is still a rather short list. The fact is most games will never use more than 4 cores and many will still only use 2 cores. This is due to limitations in DirectX 11. However, newer games using DirectX 12 will max out at a 6 core use (at the time of this writing). Until recently, a gamer would never have any reason to get more than a 4 core CPU. For example, I have never even found a reason to overclock my now three year old Core i5 4670K. I've never needed any more power than it provides at stock...on a stock cooler.  ^_^  Keep in mind I run at 1920x1080. I've never needed a reason for a higher resolution. 1080p seems to still push single video card systems to their higher limits when playing games on ultra. I only recently updated from my GTX 760 4GB to my new GTX 1060 6GB. This has just been my experience, though.

So due the the DX11 limitations, a straight gamer would have never needed anything more than a Core i5 or equivalent. Now that DirectX 12 is a thing, individuals wanting to "future proof" their systems may want to thing about getting a Core i7 or equivalent if they're considering an upgrade. This is because the new DX12 titles could potentially use the extra two cores. With that said, DirectX 12 can technically use up to 8 cores, however, in real-world scenarios most tests plateau at the 6 core mark. This is why a Core i7 or equivalent will be all any gamer needs for at least the next three to four years, based on DirectX's past release dates. Therefore, 8 cores and especially 12 cores is simply going to be overkill for a while in regards to gaming.

Now the one thing we haven't discussed is hyper-threading. No gamer needs hyper-threading. Hyper-thread was designed towards the creation industry, not the gaming industry. In most cases games bind the CPU to the more powerful cores. This is why most benchmarks will show little to no performance difference with hyper-threading. Users who should consider a CPU with hyper-threading are those who design...photo editing, digital art, video editing, CAD, game design, etc. The computer programs associated with these industries (Adobe Premiere, Autodesk, 3ds Max, Maya, etc) benefit from hyper-threading because most of them are designed to utilize it; making the design, encoding, and rendering far smoother and taking less time. Not to mention most of the professional systems built for the design industry will have different video cards geared towards rendering tasks than gaming. The Nvidia line of these cards are called "Quadro" and the currently available generation will put you back $5,000US. The newest generation is rumored to be released at around $7,000US. All this to say, the vast majority of home users will not fall into this the category of needing hyper-threading, therefore, there will be little benefit to purchasing a hyper-threading CPU for the specific purpose of gaming.

#353 bitdman

bitdman

Thane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:12 PM

Thanks for the information Tech. I wasn't aware of the hyper threading point......is there anything you don't know?

Cheers!

#354 countstex

countstex

Prisoner

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:34 AM

Hello All. Been back playing with Skyrim quite a lot and thinking it's about time I upgrade my graphics card. My VRAM (2048MB on the aged GTX 660 I have) is maxed out almost all the time, so thinking an upgrade might be in order here. As someone who is still running with a 1920x1080 monitor, or in fact monitors, I've been thinking about a 6GB version of a GTX 1060. Seems like it's the sweet point for price whilst pretty much being able to cope with anything at 1080p. Plus those 6GB of VRAM I should remove any bottle neck from that point of view! 

Any thoughts on that choice? 

#355 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 12,058 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:27 AM

Hello All. Been back playing with Skyrim quite a lot and thinking it's about time I upgrade my graphics card. My VRAM (2048MB on the aged GTX 660 I have) is maxed out almost all the time, so thinking an upgrade might be in order here. As someone who is still running with a 1920x1080 monitor, or in fact monitors, I've been thinking about a 6GB version of a GTX 1060. Seems like it's the sweet point for price whilst pretty much being able to cope with anything at 1080p. Plus those 6GB of VRAM I should remove any bottle neck from that point of view! 

Any thoughts on that choice? 

I think it's an excellent choice: http://wiki.step-pro...l85/SystemSpecs ^_^ (card)

I haven't found anything that my card doesn't handle very well on maxed out settings. Even SSE is playing really solid while modded, maxed out, and an ENB installed.

#356 countstex

countstex

Prisoner

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 02:53 PM

I think it's an excellent choice: http://wiki.step-pro...l85/SystemSpecs ^_^ (card)

I haven't found anything that my card doesn't handle very well on maxed out settings. Even SSE is playing really solid while modded, maxed out, and an ENB installed.

Good to know it's working well 'in the wild' :) Cheers

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: guide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users