355 replies to this topic

#31 Vond

Vond

Nyarlathotep

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:06 PM

Hah, very different responses indeed ;) Will search around and see if I can find some info on people using that cooler with this case

#32 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,247 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:15 PM

Just checked out your case and proposed fan. I really think that the fan will work. Looks like a 120 mm transverse fan... very nice. You will also want to pick up a single 140 mm fan for your side panel, which will blow air directly to your mobo... get another to put on top to help evacuate the extra incoming airflow. This combo will ensure that you have fresh air for the CM to use.

#33 Vond

Vond

Nyarlathotep

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:28 PM

Well I checked pricerunner for best prices and found it real cheap, in the comments section there a person asked if it fit with the case I'm using and the admins said it does work, but it's a bit tight. When looking at extra 140mm fans for the case, what RPM should I go for? Hardly differs in price anyway it seems

#34 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,247 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:42 PM

RPM does not matter so much, just get the cheapest.

#35 Vond

Vond

Nyarlathotep

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:43 PM

Yeah I think I'll go for the 800rpm ones as they're the most silent. Cheers for the help guys! :)

#36 frihyland

frihyland

Dwemer Lord

• Site Founders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:47 PM

most important is the CFM anything over 50 is fine and check the noise as well, lower is better 20dba is a whisper so its a good goal if you care about such things :D

#37 frihyland

frihyland

Dwemer Lord

• Site Founders
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:54 PM

Updated to use the new headertabs.

#38 frihyland

frihyland

Dwemer Lord

• Site Founders
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:59 AM

If you got the cash and your motherboard supports it just get a Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz.  Otherwise just follow the guide

The minimum recommendations for upgrading when purchasing for AMD you'll want a Phenom II X6 (Thuban) or for Intel a Core I5 (Ivy Bridge) unless you already have a sandy bridge in which case just stick with it.

#39 Besidilo

Besidilo

Jarl

• Members
  • 993 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:34 AM

Just quickly browsed through the Hardware Guide.

Some points I would make (not directed at anyone, just general guidelines):

CPUs

1) AMD CPUs don't perform anywhere as good as Intels in most modern games.
2) Skyrim doesn't use multithreading efficiently so overclocking a dual core Sandy or Ivy Bridge would yield higher framerates than upgrading to a stock quad core.
3) Hyperthreading doesn't seem to matter. It limits overclocking so many gamers disable it. I don't recommend it though, as it has its uses in other applications.
4) The only reason why you'd want to upgrade to Thuban from a Phenom II is if you wanted the extra performance in multithreaded applications. Some low power Thuban CPUs overclock slightly better too, but the shared cache and overall the same architecture makes them a poor upgrade in general.
5) Bulldozers just don't perform as gaming CPUs. You can lie to yourself all you want, but there's only a handful of games that these CPUs really stand out.
6) A dual-core Intel Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge would be ideal choice for those looking for value-for-money solution. Just make sure to overclock it as much as your cooling allows for.
7) I recommend buying a used Sandy Bridge CPU. I've recently obtained a second-hand i7 2600K for the price of i5 3770K. It overclocks better and has the benefit of HyperThreading. CPUs only fail under very specific circumstances. The chances of that happening are very slim.

http://www.techspot....ance/page7.html

I know the article is slightly dated, but the general rules still apply, since Skyrim's engine has been optimised for GPU utilisation, not CPUs.

SSDs

1) The most reliable brands on the market are Samsung, Intel and Crucial.
2) When it comes to SSDs performance and reliability,
3) SSDs can fail, although the failure rates are usually much lower than for consumer grade HDDs.
4) An SSD has a limited number of writes to it, for an average user, it should last around 8-10 years. After you use all the writes, you can still read from that SSD (meaning that you won't lose your data, unless it fails in any other way).
5) SATA 6Gb/s drives will not appeal to everyone since there is not much benefit over SATA 3Gb/s ones if your motherboard doesn't support that interface.
6) In any case, most SSDs are fast enough for average consumers. Buy the one that seems the best value for money, bearing in mind the three brands I mentioned earlier.
7) Last but not least, SSDs are all about the controller they use. Many different brands will use the same controller, hence the similar speeds.

GPUs

1) Nvidia cards allow you to use some cool ENB effects in many games, so if you're interested in that, a GeForce would be my recommendation.
2) With the current price drops, AMD cards are better VFM. It's usually the case anyway.
3) The only exception is when you use either CUDA or PhysX.
4) Most games perform similarly on equivalent cards, but there are titles that perform better on GeForces for whatever reason.
5) It probably comes down to drivers support, which is a controversial subject and I don't want to stir the pot.
6) PCI-E 3.0 is useless at the moment. Don't bother with it.
7) Warranty is very important.

Motherboards

1) There's no reason why an average user should bother with Z77 when buying a Sandy Bridge CPU (generally better value than Ivy, if you overclock).
2) Make sure to factor in future ugpgrades when it comes finding a suitable mobo.
3) Warranty is important.

OS

1) You should get Windows 7 x64 Home Premium/Professional/Ultimate. No reason to consider any other OS if you have a modern PC.

#40 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • 9,247 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:13 AM

@Besidilo Thanks for the suggestions. 

#41 frihyland

frihyland

Dwemer Lord

• Site Founders
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:59 AM

Thanks for that post, I agree with about 90% of it and I hope that is reflected in the article, I'll take a look and update it (at some point) if it isn't clear. I also need to make it clear that my focus is price for performance over the long term, so I always recommend going with the latest technology and simply waiting to buy until you get an awesome deal. I almost never buy a piece of equipment that I think will be useless in 5 years nor will I buy anything at retail price, longevity/performance/price are my primary factors when judging value.

#42 LeetMiniWheat

LeetMiniWheat

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:26 PM

This says it all. a lowly Core i3 beats everything AMD has to offer in gaming. http://www.tomshardw...rk,3120-10.html And the cheap sandy-based Celerons/Pentiums are pretty good too. You'd have to be an AMD fanboy or Intel hater to buy an AMD these days, since Intel has the better value at the moment in nearly all price ranges. Not sure about Radeon vs GeForce though, they seem to be trading blows lately on top card, but I've always preferred nvidia due to their drivers. AMD/ATi drivers have always been a mess.

#43 Farlo

Farlo

Dragon Prince

• Site Founders
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:36 PM

[quote name=''LeetMiniWheat' pid='10424' dateline='1344374784']Not sure about Radeon vs GeForce though' date=' they seem to be trading blows lately on top card, but I've always preferred nvidia due to their drivers. AMD/ATi drivers have always been a mess.[/quote']
This.  My only regret with my current rig was going with a 6870.  The drivers are a pain in the ass and offer a lot less features.

#44 Vypir

Vypir

Prisoner

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:35 AM

Hey guys, CPU benchmarks before Skyrim 1.4 are not very useful because of the CPU optimizations.  FYI, here's a good comparison:
The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim February 2012 Benchmark - BenchmarK3D

In 1.0, two cores from a Core i5-2500K at stock (3.3 GHz) were not quite enough to eke out the best performance - they needed to be overclocked for that.  Now, no overclock is needed and two cores at a modest frequency are plenty.

Of course, this will vary depending on your CPU and the mods you have.  Heavily scripted mods may place a larger burden on the CPU, but graphical mods may place a larger burden on the GPU.

Also, this old (1.1) CPU benchmark might be worth a look just because of the variety of CPUs used:
The Elder Scrolls 5 Skyrim: 20 CPUs im Benchmark-Test

Glad to see the Core 2 Duo E8400 I've had for four years isn't holding me back yet!

#45 frihyland

frihyland

Dwemer Lord

• Site Founders
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:11 PM

Thanks for those links Vypir, useful stuff.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: guide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users