How do I properly install "Even Better Quest Objectives" in Mod Organizer?

Borgodoc

Question

12 answers to this question

I am having a problem with this also. I ensured "preferred integrated fomod installer" is NOT checked. I have all of the unofficial patches installed. If I run the game with just EBQO and Dark Brotherhood it works. If I check off the 3 patches .esp (paardilemmapatch, thechoiceisyours, or NECP) boss flags it as a missing esp and game crashes. I tried this with NMM before I tried it with MO and had same issues there. Any help is appreciated...new to skyrim and step.

The game will crash if you activate the patches for the Paarthurnax Dilemma, The Choice is Yours, and NECP if you do not have those mods installed. EBBQ is not actually hard to install. It is recommended to disable the internal fomod plugin so that the installer can automatically detect what compatibility patches are needed. You can install it using the internal fomod plugin, but it will not automatically detect your patches, and you will have to deselect any patches for mods you do not use.

I tried this yesterday. Both the installer and the fomod plugin has issues. The fomod doesn't detect anything and doesn't install the DLC patches. The installer detects correctly, but that too doesn't install the DLC patches, for some reason.

Simplest way to install (IMO):

- Make a new folder and call it "Even better quest objectives 2" or something similar.

- Select which main file folder you need and then copy over the ESP and BSA from that folder to your newly created folder.

- Copy over the other optional ESP patches to your folder, according to what you need or have installed.

- Zip or 7zip your new folder and install it like any other mod in MO.

You will get a red warning triangle if you are missing an esp that is required by one of the patches you installed. You can just ignore that as long as you install and activate that esp later on. Then the red warning triangle will go away. And BOSS will sort everything in the correct order.

The nice thing about Mod Organizer is that there are several ways to do things if one doesn't work.

Edit:

Strikethrough = plain wrong

Orange = inserted for clarification

You do realize that the Even Better Quest Objectives installer tries to install a BetterQuestObjectives.esp with the DLC patches merged in wherever possible? If all you have installed is the DLC and Book Covers Skyrim, you will only get the BetterQuestObjectives.esp, because the author has created a merged file with all those fixes together. For my current setup, the only additional esp I use is the one for Extensible Follower Framework, and that is because I have all DLC, Book Covers Skyrim, and EFF. It still works correctly for me.

The red warning triangle is telling however. You do realize that the installer only sees mods that you have installed and activated? A red triangle will indicate that you are missing a master file for that particular esp.

You do realize that the Even Better Quest Objectives installer tries to install a BetterQuestObjectives.esp with the DLC patches merged in wherever possible? If all you have installed is the DLC and Book Covers Skyrim, you will only get the BetterQuestObjectives.esp, because the author has created a merged file with all those fixes together.

Right, that makes sense of course. Sorry for the misinformation. In that case the installer does work as intended. :)

I actually installed BetterQuestObjectives-Dawnguard.esp and BetterQuestObjectives-Hearthfire.esp in addition to the main file with the merged DLC, which is redundant.

Should I just leave BetterQuestObjectives-Dawnguard.esp and BetterQuestObjectives-Hearthfire.esp activated in my load list, since they (hopefully) only contain the fixes that are also in the merged main esp? Not sure how safe it is to remove them and then carry on with the same save. Although, if they indeed do contain the same fixes that are already present in the merged main esp, then maybe it is safe to deactivate them and carry on with same save? Any thoughts?

You do realize that the installer only sees mods that you have installed and activated? A red triangle will indicate that you are missing a master file for that particular esp.

I do realize that yes. Always have. :) Maybe I should have said "as long as you install and activate".

I'll probally drop the merged fix next release. Reason being, a) string files do not work properly with merged mods and b) there's automatic scripts for merging mods anyway in TES5Edit, so keeping a merged version isn't justified.

Along with that, I'll update the fixes to the 2.0 unofficial patches + add patches for the new Thieves Guild Requirements and Timing is Everything. I'll try to time it within the actual relase of the 2.0 unofficial patches.