Enhanced Distant Terrain 2 - Trudgement Day (by SparrowPrince)

torminater

Updated the compare screens in the OP, since I had neglected to use SFO in the background (which really changes the tree LODs and affects the overall context a lot). I also added Distant Terrain & Tree LOD to the mix and omitted the HD LODs SFO textures, since they were completely redundant. Same 7 scenes compared.

Please review the gallery link in the OP. Focus on the first (vanilla) and last three compares in each of the 7 scene sets (EDT2 with a couple of noise-map variations)

I can't decide if I like the within-set 7 or 8 compare best. Both contain EDT2, which has problems with snow terrain, but is otherwise a great improvement, IMO.

Note:  In terms of noise map only (within-set compares 1-5), I like EDT-Earth best, but DTTS is a very close second. The first 6 compares (0-5) pertain to the EDT thread, but are included in this same gallery.

The last compare (DTTL+EDT2) is the best in my opinion. Looking at the first compare set, you'll notice some lightness in within the closer grass textures. The 7th compare (earth) is good but does not carry over this lightness. It blends well, but the 8th compare blends even better because it carries over some of the lightness from the closer grass textures. Perhaps it's just the extra bumpiness though.

What does DTTL stand for? Also, I have just spent ages trying the get out of generating the terrain noise manually (;)) by learning some commands. It was a total nightmare, but I can do it semi-auto now after a lot of headaches. It still takes quite a while, but it's currently beavering away in the background. The new noise I applied blends really nicely and it's set to ignore highlights (snow). Might be able to get Vurt's summer package done soon when I can be bothered.

I will up the file soon. :)

What does DTTL stand for? Also, I have just spent ages trying the get out of generating the terrain noise manually (;)) by learning some commands. It was a total nightmare, but I can do it semi-auto now after a lot of headaches. It still takes quite a while, but it's currently beavering away in the background. The new noise I applied blends really nicely and it's set to ignore highlights (snow). Might be able to get Vurt's summer package done soon when I can be bothered.

I will up the file soon. :)

I see the file on the Nexus ... thanks!

I'll run some updated compares with the new version ;)

(Thanks to Phazer for clarifying above ... he is correct).

I'm never happy with anything, which is why I'm always refining. ;)

I have also updated Vurt's SFO summer tonight with my EDT detail, which he was very happy about. I'm really glad I worked hard and came up with a solution to the snow problem, I have been able to help more than myself. :)

This is looking very good to me - EDT +EDT 2.

I'll check out the results with snow in my new build, but the shots look very promising to me. I'm glad SP has taken this one forward, since he seemed a bit unhappy with EDT, initially.

EDT-Earth + EDT2 looks nice. See the galleries on this and adjacent EDT thread OP (see last two images in each compare; but be aware that I still need to update to the latest version of EDT2 to account for blotchy snow fix, so Winterhold image does not apply).

I personally slightly prefer the Distant Terrain and Tree LOD noise map with EDT2, but it is very close.

@Sparrow

Are water LODs included with this? In vanilla, they are animated, and you can see water reflecting light even at great distance. With HQ LODs and to a lesser extent, this package, that "sparkling" effect is lost.

Can something be done to bring this back and also to increase the translucence of distant water?

From what I can tell they aren't included that is if you had this mod installed in those screenshots you showed in the other thread. I would have thought some of the water mods would include their own LOD's since the colouration is slightly different from vanilla for each.

From what I can tell they aren't included that is if you had this mod installed in those screenshots you showed in the other thread. I would have thought some of the water mods would include their own LOD's since the colouration is slightly different from vanilla for each.

WATER contains no LODs that I can tell.