RLO vs. ELFX vs. Vanilla

Deathwing514

Relighting Skyrim just got some updates' date=' and this is the most likely mod that would ever make it into STEP:Extended.[/quote']

Essentially Enhanced Lighting for ENB has a lightbulb module which has pretty much the same goal as Relighting Skyrim. Afaik the coverage isn't as high yet, but don't quote me on that. I think JawZ also made the DLC add-ons for Relighting Skyrim.

Enhanced Lighting for ENB offers the the flexibility other lighting mods don't by being modular while covering every technical aspect of .esp based lighting solutions. And I think JawZ pays astonishing attention to detail, he took a lot of pictures resembling places in Skyrim to match colors, brightness etc.

His mod is still in late alpha though, but I'm really excited by his work.

Relighting Skyrim just got some updates' date=' and this is the most likely mod that would ever make it into STEP:Extended.[/quote']

Essentially Enhanced Lighting for ENB has a lightbulb module which has pretty much the same goal as Relighting Skyrim. Afaik the coverage isn't as high yet' date=' but don't quote me on that. I think JawZ also made the DLC add-ons for Relighting Skyrim.

Enhanced Lighting for ENB offers the the flexibility other lighting mods don't by being modular while covering every technical aspect of .esp based lighting solutions. And I think JawZ pays astonishing attention to detail, he took a lot of pictures resembling places in Skyrim to match colors, brightness etc.

His mod is still in late alpha though, but I'm really excited by his work.[/quote']

I fill in the parts of ELE that haven't been done yet with his Relighting Skyrim work. The results are fantastic.

I probably have no clue about the lightning but what i could see in the pictures i liked the ELFX more because for me it seemed that the light is "more correct". So the light is going in the same direction and not as you would have 2 suns, from each side one shining inside the building.

For me, the lightning should feel realistic and so i also like to have dark areas where no lightning source is. I would love to use torches and don't just throw them away(and i have nightvision; Khajiit FTW ;) ). I especially like the stealthy/assassination playstyle and so i would love to have a pack that goes in that direction with the right lightning for it.

Looked up Relighting Skyrim and the pictures are really nice.

Performance wise i should be ok with my new pc.

• 3 weeks later...

This is interesting. When I saw the comparison video (from GEMS) I thought ELFX looked much better. However, these screen shots lead to a different result.

ELFX has some nice shots, but I actually think the shots in row 7 and 8 are really, really bad. I also prefer the vanilla to ELFX in rows 1, 9 and 10. RLO has some really great screenshots there, but I don't like the photos in rows 4, 6 and 7. I think the problem is the light seems to stop suddenly and turn immediately into dark shadow with very little blending. ELFX Enhanced might be a nice compromise. I don't like it as much as RLO in most places, but it offers a middle ground that improves on the screenshots I hate from ELFX and the shots I hate from RLO.

I stopped using any lighting mods because none was considering the "leading" that the vanilla lighting has. In lack of a better word it's the art direction that "lead" my eyes to look at certain spots or light a passage in a sensible manner in terms of art direction. No it isn't realistic but at least it doesn't leave me confused which way to go or make certain parts of the game pitch black. It's true many parts of Skyrim seems kind of rushed but I rather wait for a lighting mod that use the vanilla art style rather than go for a realistic style. For realistic lighting I turn my computer off :)

Sent from my iPhone

• +1 1

I'm interested in your edited lighting mix, Neovalen. I've got STEP Extended installed and I've been hunting around for a lighting solution because vanilla lighting is AWFUL. If feels so stupid to have zero stealth skill, hide in a location that is clearly visible with ambient light everywhere, make some noise, and then have a NPC walking a few feet away trying, and failing, to find me. That's the vanilla experience. ENBs are not an option for me when they drain 10-15 FPS (that's a big hellllll no, when I'm getting 50 FPS on average as is). I noticed that ELFX claims to not be compatible with STEP Extended's Lanterns of Skyrim, so apparently the ELFX Exteriors esp shouldn't be run in that situation (which is the STEP Extended situation)... Problem is, there is only one STEP Pack so far that is is apparently designed by large for modifying lighting (Weather and Lighting Pack), and that Pack is still a little broad in its instructions on how to set everything up, as it lists a number of options and doesn't really focus on one path. Case in point: it says nothing about the Lanterns of Skyrim issue. From what I remember while installing STEP mods - I thought there were a bunch of mods with installation options or optional patches catered to specific lighting mods (such as RLO or ELFX) that might be run alongside them. The Pack does not address all the modifications to STEP installation that need to be made to best include the lighting mod. Apparently, some of the mods would have to be reinstalled or have patches installed along with them in order to work properly with some of the lighting mods - a Pack installation page would be the best place to point out and describe those mods and instructions on how to do it all.

So, in light of all that, I'm VERY interested in your method and your editing for integrating ELFX along with Relighting Skyrim into your Skyrim setup. Can you perhaps make a Pack to describe your process for that?

• +1 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

edit: linked again; see above.  It was supposed to be to  the Gamer Poets ELfx video, where he says... "the only two mods that are known to be officially 100% incompatible are..."

This is regarding Neovalen's post on Relighting Skyrim https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/17609/?.  I get the impression that the conflicts here are because Relighting Skyrim changes the location of light sources *mainly*(?); while among other things, ELfx also does a little of that...  This would mean that its a soft conflict, where some locations wont pan out as well as they should; too many light sources, or at worst, object overlaps.  

If Relighting Skyrim changes things like making the fireplace the light source instead of some random interior point, and ELfx doesnt because thats a whole lot of leg work, then RS should be preserved, alongside ELfx.  

nb. to duplicate that link above... https://youtu.be/G0Y08_6TpCM?t=10m11s

Edited by boycad

For another lighting mod to be compatible with RS, it would have to start with RS as its base and keep it as a master. This is because RS "fixes" most of the lighting in skyrim. If there are two light sources, there are usually two light bulbs in RS, whereas vanilla would only have one light bulb located between the two sources. RS also corrects bulbs by placing the correct light with the source. For instance, vanilla has torch lights placed at braziers. RS corrects these lights to be fire lights. It may not sound like much, but these types of lights have different settings attached like flicker rates, hues, etc. So for any mod to be compatible, it would have to use RS as its foundation and build upon that.