Weather and Lighting (by Smile44)

Thanks for the confidence! :P

But to be more fair, then I think it looks absolutely epic if you do not use an ENB (Supreme fog that is). Also to a certain degree it looks good with. Just that I had issues with the fog in the distance being clipped off. Fog is really dense and you cant see very far.

Boris said that this was due to how the game handled fog, and a mod issue. I tried several tweaks and changes, but could not make it go away.

The same issue is not there with the patch, but again it does not add an equally extreme amount of distance fog. Which might be the core of it.

I would most certainly leave it in as an optional, since it is a very nice fog mod.

I think for ENB users my patch will give better results... without ENB there are some issues with blending as you may get white outlines around vegitation (but not always) and alpha blending with the sky is not always very nice. I think non ENB users will be better off with MannyGT's mod combined with my Regular edition which doesn't include volumetric fog. But of course one may ignore these oddities and simply use my fog edition without ENB, it does not look bad, just not as good.

I'm about to release a minor update which addresses some issues with the fog, but I would really want the biggest annoyance I have eliminated... which is that fog dissapears when someone opens world map and closes it again. It's been bugging the living daylights out of me and I have currently redone the meshes 5 times in different setups and even put my particle system on a vanilla mesh to try and solve it without any luck. Pretty puzzling. Now looking into SKSE if it can retrigger the fog when map menu closes... but I rather not do anything scripted... vanilla meshes do not have this problem, so I dont understand yet why mine has.

Btw Supreme Volumetric Fog latest version does not include any volumetric fog anymore. It does everything with fog distances in the game... older version has a scripted camera attached effect, but due to issues with that (like fog triggering inside, or not triggering off) it was changed in the latest version. Because of using game's default fog there are some problems with ENB as you know, ENB tweaks the fog and when brought up to your nose while the default CoT pushes it nearly off the map, may look very odd. But that depends on the ENB preset.

Curious to know what CoT is used as the base. Did you try most of the big weather mods and settle on CoT or is it just your personal preference? From what I've hearing here and there RLO Weathers are pretty much on par and some preferring it to CoT.

I think there are way more add-on weather/effects mods (like the ones listed) that are made specifically for CoT. If those mod authors started making versions for RLO Weathers then I would be inclined to check them out, but right now I will lose too many nice looking mods if I switch. 

Also,

Wasn't quality snowflakes a part of step at one point? It was removed because of Skyrim Performance Plus. That means we shouldn't use the snowflakes option for that mod if we are using Quality Snowflakes, right?

And are you sure that Morning Vog by MannyGT is fully compatible with Prod80's CoT Patch - Fog Version?

That is pretty much the reason. CoT on it's own I can take or leave it's good but not unsurpassed, but the additions especially the weather Patch really bring it out. I guess RLO can work with Real Rain, Supreme Storms, Expanded Snow Systems, Morning Fogs and Supreme and Volumetric fog, Lightning Mod, quality snow flakes etc.. but it is prod80's work that sells it for me.

I would say that if someone would prefer RLO weathers then use the non CoT versions of the above mods. Not sure there is as much compatibility for DLCs Falskaar etc though. I am definitely keeping my eye on it though.

:)

When I'm satisfied with this CoT patch, I can bring the same stuff into vanilla or RLO Weathers. Vanilla is no big deal, but RLO Weathers I'll have to check with Daemonui since there are frequent updates and it's not yet matured out (It not yet hit Beta stage but is in RC).... the base on which I can build patches must be stable, because if it changes too much it brings out some challenges. Btw, RLO Weathers simply overhauls vanilla weathers, so it doesn't in fact add new content as in textures. I'll see what the future brings :)

CoT patch currently (believe it or not) requires still a lot of changes... it's now version 3.0.0 and I intend to finalize it on version 3.1... so that gives me 99 version numbers :) changes will be minimal from this point, but I want a bit more variety, mainly in Overcast type weathers and overhaul more of the rain type weathers -- mainly adding more real storms. Also I'll bring in some changes to the exterior lighting in each weather condition as it's a bit to grey-ish to my taste overall (haven't changed that from CoT's default yet besides a few (say 20%)) and lacks dept and contrast in some conditions.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words Smile44!

And @DoYouEvenModBro; yes, CoT patch with volumetric fog is fully compatible with Morning Fogs by MannyGT

This is almost properly up on the wiki now as a pack just waiting for the lighting table to save properly. Still needs to be finished as yet but it is tricky. I will link to it properly once I have tested it - the page that is not the pack itself - that works great.

:)

Looks very interesting - thanks guys.

With COT, one of my main reservations is that in fine conditions, the blue skies sometimes have too much violet in them, making them look unnatural. This often coincides with slightly golden clouds, and the contrast exacerbates the unnatural effect. Anyone else noticed this, or perhaps even knows the offending weather type(s) that could perhaps be patched out?

Also, does anyone know about modifying the chances of different weather types? I would personally like to see fine, alpine weather far more often, with the other weather types appearing more rarely, but often enough to keep things interesting.

Looks very interesting - thanks guys.

With COT, one of my main reservations is that in fine conditions, the blue skies sometimes have too much violet in them, making them look unnatural. This often coincides with slightly golden clouds, and the contrast exacerbates the unnatural effect. Anyone else noticed this, or perhaps even knows the offending weather type(s) that could perhaps be patched out?

Also, does anyone know about modifying the chances of different weather types? I would personally like to see fine, alpine weather far more often, with the other weather types appearing more rarely, but often enough to keep things interesting.

Not sure but Prod80 might know since he develops a lot of add-ons for CoT and probably knows the code pretty well.

Since I do use my own ENB then I have reduced said issue to a bare minimum. But yes it is there, its part of the fantasy setting that its meant to invoke. I personally also found the saturation level for many of the weathers a bit too high. But after many months of tweaking and rewriting HLSL code I have tamed the beast! 

I actually manually checked and tested every single weather in CoT... and its patches! Currently I am in the process of adding the vanilla weathers back in since they also look decent now. 

If you want to isolate different weathers, then use STATUS from mannyGT... it will provide you with the weatherID in question. 

CoT is built in blocks, hence most ID´s come in batches that all share the same settings but have slightly varying cloud textures applied. 

For example xxx5814(0-9). With xxx depending on the load order.  

Talking about that then lets move on. 

This is easy! 

Open tes5edit.

Load in CoT. 

Open the Regions tab. 

Every weather for every region is there, along with the chance of it showing. The higher the value the higher the chance! If you have special favorites then you can just add those there. 

Also you can remove the ones you never want to see. 

Or simply remove them from the weathers tab... however then the region still call for a weather that is not there, and hence you need to remove it from both locations in order to minimize conflicts. 

This pack is up and available on the wiki (though not officially). I don't consider it to be in a perfect state as yet as editing things like the modlist are very problematic at best at present.

I would love it if anyone could give me some feedback on it's structure and wording etc..  LINK

Cheers :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines, Privacy Policy, and Terms of Use.