Weather and Lighting (by Smile44)

Hi , I have no problem if you would like to improve on this pack. It was the first pack created for STEP and involved several of the admin at the time as far as testing the pack creation page. I used mods that I was experimenting with at the time so the pack is quite dated though I have updated from time to time the set up still works. I am currently experimenting with Pure weathers with ELFX and Relighting Skyrim and PureVision ENB, from the pack I am using ESS and SS, may add REF for nice foggy effects.

There are so many choices for weather and lighting combinations that it would be hard to cover them all and of course it would not be a good idea to repeat instructions from SR or WSO megapatch. Having some clear alternatives with merging instructions would be useful I am sure. I know that all the weather plugins merge relatively painlessly, so it would be possible to get the pack down to a handful of plugins that could work in any set up. Of course Real Shelter would need to be patched afterwards if they wanted to use it trouble is it would need extra patches depending on set ups so apart from information about compatibility I would be hesitant to use it in the pack.

All the best

::):

WAO already has instructions though not as detailed as they might be and there are no merging instructions. It is feasible to get the count quite low for plugins, two is ambitious I think but then again it is possible. I assume you are talking about the base WAO install rather than the full recommendd mod install which would not be practical. Only feasible difficulty down the line is various patches needed for other mods that a user might need. SoS in particular requires a good deal of patching with any mods that affect cells in any way. I'm sure that the mega patch takes care of much of it. I guess I will need to look at it myself so that I know how well it fits in with various modded set ups.

Either way you have my blessing to add such instructions to the guide. It might be an idea to have several options as to a lighting and weather set up, and perhaps sound mods need to be a part of it. I may edit what is currently there to give it a more specific feel for my choices, so a specific set of mods and ENB to give it a certain look with perhaps some in game pictures and of course merging instructions and compatibility data.

Your set up with the mega patch could then be a different option, but again with similar detail. Others may wish to suggest their set ups, I know Tech is working on a STEP lighting solution it could possibly be added to this so that there is a one stop shop for weather and lighting with sound solution.

Mods like ASLAL and Requiem do modify cells and will need patching, so compatibility would be needed for popular mods that might conflict in an unhelpful manner. Only published packs should be referred to for this otherwise it would be an endless chore. There are three overhaul packs on the wiki at present that are being updated and are popular with users. Ultimately there will be some sort of reorganisation for packs once 2.3 becomes imminent AFAIK, so that they becom streamlined and refer to a central database of mods that include more information than currently displayed. This is a way off for now but that does not mean packs cannot be made ready befor then.

Anyway I'm rambling now so signing off, Ciao!

::):

Edited by Smile44

WAO does a lot of the major patching but there are a few mods that I am going to add to the mix.

I am reinstalling everything so its going to take a little but Ill make a new section called WAO - weather... you know the rest. If we are only talking about STEP stuff then there isnt much patching but I'll include a SRLE mods... such as the relighting Skyrim, ELFX and ELE. People should be able to figure out a good place in their RELE install if they do want to use the mod. 

WAO doesnt just patch the mods but rather make small adjustments if needed.

I think any ENB that is for pure weather and COT should be compatible but like I said, I think.

There would need to be some edits made to the weathers.ini if users wanted to use something other than the standard vividian.

Personally, I am not going to offer any patching other than the mods I use (I know I'm selfish but w/e) and STEP stuff. I am not going to handle requiem stuff because that is not a mod that I use, it's not out of the question but still, no promises. STEP and modular setups do not go well together when a pack tries to do it. That is the reason I based my guide solely on one page and convinced dreadflopp to drop some modular parts. The whole pack because a high maintenance mess.

Ill poke in for a while do my part and then probably leave, it depends on how I feel, I tend to jump around quite a bit.

I may have said this somewhere but the kind of patching that this pack requires is really easy. Its mostly make Tes5Edit look green and you should be good to go but that isn't 100% the case all of the time.

I am pretty confident in getting it down to two plugins. ClimatesofTamriel.esm and the weather merge should be all that is needed.

I added the section so you can give it a look if you please...

I will try to get it completed today.

I also fixed the broken forum link in the pack

Well, I tend to be breaking the wiki lately so adding stuff is slow... The admins dont quite know what it is

EDIT: I need to do a WAO Merge Patch and (a) STEP Patch(es)

I need to go through and remove some patches in the instructions that will be included in the Merge patch

EDIT2: here is the first revision of the merging patch so you can look at it if you please

nvm Tes5 broke it :/

3.0.33 is completely screwing up...

EDIT3: the the problem with merging is that patches become difficult. I think all of the patches will not be a master of the merged plugin so it may be a non-issue but Ill give it a shot and I'll see what comes up

EDIT: Nope patching is an issue. Somehow there has to be manual renumbering or add the patch in pre-merge.

I need to continue this but I encountered several problems with setting up a patch for the merged plugin.
If everything is done exactly the same their shouldn't be any issues but I don't know. I guess, I will go with it and ask people to check their plugins for errors

EDIT: Almost done and satisfied... *sigh*

just a lil longer now

• 2 weeks later...

OK, tired but I think I got something done... 

Please, take a look at it, as there may be mistakes. 

There is only one reliable way to patch this kind of setup using premade patches is by merging the patches in the merge.

I made two patches, one for STEP Core and one for Extended.

I dont think that I will do other patches for any other packs but we'll see

Is that section far from finished, or close to being considered stable, or 'good enough' ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

ok so, with WAO going to what may be the sixth update today (only four were my fault), it seems that WAO will be actually released and fully functional by tonight, hopefully.

I'm going to change the pack a little bit but keep some defining features, well, I will try but its main mod is going to be wao itself.

Should the pack assume that a user is using an enb?

If so then ELE would be used.

Should the pack have people replace LoS with ELFX Exteriors?

Should I include TS, SS or both?

Should ISC be added over the top of AOS?

Should I keep Realistic Nights even though there may be an enb?

Even if you dont care for the pack, what are your thoughts?

Some quick thoughts;

Go with ENB and ELE. I have tried relighting skyrim+LoS and ELFX for awhile. RS+LoS is more compatible and gives me better fps but ELFX is more of an overhaul and might fit better here. It has patches too so compatibility might not be an issue. There is also fps fixes for places that has problems with fps. Might want to include shadow .ini tweaks.

Haven't tried the rest of the mods so no opinion there.

Edited by dreadflopp
  • +1 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines, Privacy Policy, and Terms of Use.