Weather and Lighting (by Smile44)

No its not, as you can read on the sun mod page. After I got the 'problem' figured out why the sun is so damn big in snow weather of CoT I passed that information to the author of the Snow patch mod as well, and she released a patch with those fixes. She's busy with school now but it will be available in her main mods after she has time and updates them. My small patch just fixes the sun and leaves the rest of CoT Snow weather alone, her patch also changes image spaces and weather conditions in Snow weather (like removing the Sun during snowstorms) and other fixes that I didn't touch.

I would suggest you use hers, which are available as manual download from her page (compatibility patch for sun replacers)

Fog flickering is definitely an ENB issue... the fogs are just textures which are spawned around you based on the particle system... since these textures have a life cycle (birth - death) which is variable' date=' it might appear a bit pulsating slowly at start (but definitely not flickering), but it should level out in the first 10-15 seconds... I wish I could remove that but the thing is that if I increase the life cycle time (which in turn reduces the pulsating effect) you are able to outrun the fog... which looks even weirder.

As for the fog vanishing after opening world map... if you check the vanilla fog effect (you know those ugly-ish things spawned around you in the vanilla game during fog?) they also disappear after opening world map. There is also evidence of Bethesda messing about with the same thing I did in this mod, which apparently never made it into the game... I assume it was because of the same problem. It's not something I can fix, or I would. Perhaps scripts can solve this; but those might introduce more problems than they solve... not to mention messing about with people's save games.

For the Snow patch, only use one. I'd recommend any of the ones under the patch for sun replacers, mine or any other.

And about why it's confusing what to install is because it says

"Climates Of Tamriel - Weather Patch - Fog Rain Overcast | Install Supreme Storms Patch - load after "Supreme Storms - Cot Version.esp". Use BUM or BOSS GUI to sort this correctly."

Which in my understanding implies to install only the Supreme Storms patch and not the main mod (Supreme Storms patch doesn't require the main mod) but perhaps that's just me :)

Thanks for the spot - you are correct that was a poorly written sentence it was meant to say "Also install" instead of just install. I have corrected this on the pack page and added a bit more detail. Please let me know if you see anything there that you don't like or doesn't make sense to you, I am more than happy to correct errors. It has been a learning experience for me more than usefully aided by the information on your mod page (which i believe I credited in the OP).

:)

Use hers instead of yours? If I have HQ show by Erik' date=' do I only use that esp?[/quote']

Not instead of but as well as. The snow patch fixes things in snowy areas that the weather patch does not touch so you need both. Also use the realistic sun mod from prod80 there are others you can use but it does look good and is designed to work with CoT.

Fog flickering is definitely an ENB issue... the fogs are just textures which are spawned around you based on the particle system... since these textures have a life cycle (birth - death) which is variable' date=' it might appear a bit pulsating slowly at start (but definitely not flickering), but it should level out in the first 10-15 seconds... I wish I could remove that but the thing is that if I increase the life cycle time (which in turn reduces the pulsating effect) you are able to outrun the fog... which looks even weirder.

As for the fog vanishing after opening world map... if you check the vanilla fog effect (you know those ugly-ish things spawned around you in the vanilla game during fog?) they also disappear after opening world map. There is also evidence of Bethesda messing about with the same thing I did in this mod, which apparently never made it into the game... I assume it was because of the same problem. It's not something I can fix, or I would. Perhaps scripts can solve this; but those might introduce more problems than they solve... not to mention messing about with people's save games.

For the Snow patch, only use one. I'd recommend any of the ones under the patch for sun replacers, mine or any other.

And about why it's confusing what to install is because it says

"Climates Of Tamriel - Weather Patch - Fog Rain Overcast | Install Supreme Storms Patch - load after "Supreme Storms - Cot Version.esp". Use BUM or BOSS GUI to sort this correctly."

Which in my understanding implies to install only the Supreme Storms patch and not the main mod (Supreme Storms patch doesn't require the main mod) but perhaps that's just me :)

Thanks for the spot - you are correct that was a poorly written sentence it was meant to say "Also install" instead of just install. I have corrected this on the pack page and added a bit more detail. Please let me know if you see anything there that you don't like or doesn't make sense to you, I am more than happy to correct errors. It has been a learning experience for me more than usefully aided by the information on your mod page (which i believe I credited in the OP).

Use hers instead of yours? If I have HQ show by Erik' date=' do I only use that esp?[/quote']

Not instead of but as well as. The snow patch fixes things in snowy areas that the weather patch does not touch so you need both. Also use the realistic sun mod from prod80 there are others you can use but it does look good and is designed to work with CoT.

Sorry to be annoying but I'm not getting an answer for one of my questions. For the Snow Patch, do I use both Snowpatch.esp and the HQSnowtextures.esp or do I only use the HQSnow Textures esp?

Check post #45 Quote "Yes just that patch". in other words just use the one patch they all do the same thing but are compatible in different ways so if you use HQ Snow Textures then use only the HQ SnowTextures plugin from the CoT Weather Patch Snow mod.

Check post #45 Quote "Yes just that patch". in other words just use the one patch they all do the same thing but are compatible in different ways so if you use HQ Snow Textures then use only the HQ SnowTextures plugin from the CoT Weather Patch Snow mod.

:0

Thanks. Sorry, I'm on my phone so it's hard to read the text sometimes. I appreciate it. This has made my sky rim looks worlds better. Keep it up!

Yes just the SnowPatch.esp, I use the one for HQ snow textures as I use that mod. The flickering is probably to do with your enb I've had some problems with some enb types - I recommend the performance version of RealVision as it seems to work pretty well but of course it may not be to everyone's taste.

I am struggling to update the pack page at present as it is still in testing and is inconsistent at present (for me at least) but hopefully I can make further updates to the instructions in the modlist so that it becomes more self explanatory.

EDIT: By the way I hope you get this working OK for you, the feedback has been useful. It worked pretty much out of the box for me the only changes I have made are to load order this is also described on the CoT Weather Patch mod page.

So just to confirm, if I have HQ Snow Textures, I should ONLY use the HQSnowTexture.esp? It has worked extremely nicely for me too, except for flickering on fog but that's probably just an ENB issue and if it's not solvable then I really don't care as it's not that big of a deal. I also had to tweak the load order a bit by putting Supreme Storms under the CoT Patch - Fog Edition, like you have said. Hopefully that gets fixed in BOSS soon. Do you know if you are can use ELE Imagespaces and Further Darker Dungeons together? If so, do you know the load order for that?

Yes just that patch. I have had a look at using imagespace - this set was not working out well for me, I had texture popping and a strange people sheen on NPCs outside but not inside. Probably the ENB settings for at least some of it. I have never had much joy from Darker dungeons for ENB and to be honest with this set up you don't need it. If you are indoors and there is no light source then it is pretty dark.

I think I am going to get rid of ELE - Imagespaces actually. I noticed some exterior texture popping as well, but with Trees and Rocks. I'll probably just wait until it's finished a bit. It seems to react differently with different ENB setups. 

ELE image spaces have no influence whatsoever on exterior world... doubt it will solve any texture popping issue... mostly ini tweaks to skyrimprefs are responsible for that...

Example

The visibility of a fully rendered object has a range (ugrids) and has a fade distance... in simple terms;

When max visible (fully rendered) range is 100000 and fade distance is 70000 the textures will fade out/in between 70000 and 100000 (after 100000 will be full LOD, if available, or vanish completely) when moving away or towards this object... when you set fade distance to the same or higher than the max range then objects will pop in your screen and there's no nice fading in of objects, which looks odd. There are also some mods that mess with this concept and might cause this.

I cant see why image spaces cause pop-in of objects as there is literally nothing on an image space that might influence exterior view distances (or interior for that matter).

Yup, this does the trick very well - though it is not a perfect solution it is good enough, areas vary of course as the mod is not complete as yet but where it is complete the effects are rather good - most areas are done it seems.

ELE image spaces have no influence whatsoever on exterior world... doubt it will solve any texture popping issue... mostly ini tweaks to skyrimprefs are responsible for that...

Example

The visibility of a fully rendered object has a range (ugrids) and has a fade distance... in simple terms;

When max visible (fully rendered) range is 100000 and fade distance is 70000 the textures will fade out/in between 70000 and 100000 (after 100000 will be full LOD, if available, or vanish completely) when moving away or towards this object... when you set fade distance to the same or higher than the max range then objects will pop in your screen and there's no nice fading in of objects, which looks odd. There are also some mods that mess with this concept and might cause this.

I cant see why image spaces cause pop-in of objects as there is literally nothing on an image space that might influence exterior view distances (or interior for that matter).

@prod80 I don't know specifically what was causing the texture popping it was a new experience for me and only noticeable when I had followed your guide for using Kountervibe ENB. I followed this to the letter and some of it looks great though not sure about Kountervibe myself. I raised a query on your page a few days ago in the bug report section with respect to what I had seen. I suspect it had more to do with some of the enb settings than anything else but it is also possible that something else was causing it. I've tried Kountervibe before but it was the first time I have seen these problems so the imagespace is a plausible candidate in terms of what is defferent about the install - though I can't back that up with any more detailed technical know how.

Well it makes no sense why imagespaces should affect how certain textures are displayed.

The only info contained in the imagespaces are HDR values for the vanilla bloom, adaptation etc.

Along with saturation, brightness contrast, image tint, and then the ingame Depth of Field.

Stuff like texture poping, is related to the game engine itself, and the properties of meshes.

You can look up at distant decal fix if you want to know more about that. The description page contains an ini tweak you can use if you want to reduce your performance, and properly also make the game more unstable.

Since ENB depends on these mesh settings, then you can experience that certain meshes behave differently with ENB on and off. If you think you found one that is entirely wonky, then try to report it over at the ENB forums under mindflux´s thread. He is responsible for the Skyrim Particle Patch etc. and most likely would know what is wrong with the individual meshes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines, Privacy Policy, and Terms of Use.