Building packs on the WIKI

Smile44

Question

Notice from Admin

July 11th, 2017

The Pack structure was never finished on the wiki and will be discontinued with the release of STEP 3.0. Packs will be moving to Mod Picker at that time and the Pack structure on the wiki will be stripped away. It is currently unknown what will happen to the current pack pages. This information can not be known until develop starts in that area.

Community member are, therefore, highly discouraged from using the Pack system on the wiki. The links on the wiki have been hidden, though the Pack form remains in place for current packs authors.

For those of you wanting to build a guide that isn't an official Pack, please use your personal user space on the wiki.

This user space is found at: wiki.step-project.com/User:Username

For example: https://wiki.step-project.com/User:TechAngel85

Getting Started

To begin creating a Pack and testing out the alpha implementation of the Pack-Guide-Creation-Engine (powered by Semantic Mediawiki), navigate to:
LINK REMOVED by Admin

Simply enter the name of your Pack (make it short and sweet for easier reference ... and please do not prefix with "STEP") and begin using the tool. Note that any mods to be included within any Pack must also be on the wiki. Many are already, but if not, please use the mod Form to create the mod page of interest:
https://wiki.step-project.com/Form:Mod

We aren't providing much instruction at this point, because we'd like people to mess around and learn how the wiki works in general.

Post in this forum for help if you get stuck!

OP:

This doesn't seem to be working for me, I'm having the issue where the popup window is really small.  Did that fix not get ported over from the Devwiki?

I'm making my queries here in lieu of a specific thread section being formed to address "Pack" support as suggested by Z.

!) I would like to change the Page title in line with the other Pack headings, more specifically from "STEP Weather Pack WIP" to Pack: Weather - this may not be final as there is a lighting element to this but there must be an easy way to edit that short of deleting the page and starting again.

2) I'm not sure how to add the mod lists. I can see the button but then nothing useful happens. This maybe because the facility to do this isn't active on these pages as yet but the tables do appear in the test pages for packs.

Any help were would be splendid.

:)

• Answers 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I'm making my queries here in lieu of a specific thread section being formed to address "Pack" support as suggested by Z.

!) I would like to change the Page title in line with the other Pack headings, more specifically from "STEP Weather Pack WIP" to Pack: Weather - this may not be final as there is a lighting element to this but there must be an easy way to edit that short of deleting the page and starting again.

2) I'm not sure how to add the mod lists. I can see the button but then nothing useful happens. This maybe because the facility to do this isn't active on these pages as yet but the tables do appear in the test pages for packs.

1) Page title is directly related to the page link. At this point, I don't think it's possible to change it without creating a new pack. I will refer this to the developers for comment though.

2) This is an error. Looks like the dimensions of the pop-up are messed up again.

• No need to create another page, you can change the Pack's name by going to the Pack's page and using 'Page Tools' -> 'Move'.  It's pretty self-explanatory, just enter a new name (Make sure you keep the "Pack" prefix!) and optional reason, un-check "Leave a redirect behind" and hit 'Move'.  The Pack prefix is what makes the title start with "Pack:", so don't include that in the new name.  I just moved your Pack into the Pack namespace, it can now be found at Pack:STEP Weather Pack (WIP).

• Side notes: perhaps we should make it a guideline that packs can't start with STEP unless they're "officially STEP related". 
    • All Packs will reside in the Pack namespace (designated by the prefix mentioned above).  I'm not sure if I can restrict that through the form itself, but if not we'll have to update STEP:Main with buttons.
  • Adding mod lists didn't work because your Pack wasn't in the Pack namespace, it should work now.  You already added two mod lists in the form, so now when you visit the page you'll see "Add Modlist" buttons under each corresponding subtitle.  Click that button and you'll be able to write out an intro and outro for that table and add mods to the list like you added tables to the page. 

• This doesn't seem to be working for me, I'm having the issue where the popup window is really small.  Did that fix not get ported over from the Devwiki?

• No need to create another page, you can change the Pack's name by going to the Pack's page and using 'Page Tools' -> 'Move'.  It's pretty self-explanatory, just enter a new name (Make sure you keep the "Pack" prefix!) and optional reason, un-check "Leave a redirect behind" and hit 'Move'.  The Pack prefix is what makes the title start with "Pack:", so don't include that in the new name.  I just moved your Pack into the Pack namespace, it can now be found at Pack:STEP Weather Pack (WIP).

• Side notes: perhaps we should make it a guideline that packs can't start with STEP unless they're "officially STEP related". 
    • All Packs will reside in the Pack namespace (designated by the prefix mentioned above).  I'm not sure if I can restrict that through the form itself, but if not we'll have to update STEP:Main with buttons.
  • Adding mod lists didn't work because your Pack wasn't in the Pack namespace, it should work now.  You already added two mod lists in the form, so now when you visit the page you'll see "Add Modlist" buttons under each corresponding subtitle.  Click that button and you'll be able to write out an intro and outro for that table and add mods to the list like you added tables to the page.

• This doesn't seem to be working for me, I'm having the issue where the popup window is really small.  Did that fix not get ported over from the Devwiki?
1. yes, we will eventually need to add detailed instructions on the Forms once we finalize

2. Fixed the popup Form.

snip...

• snip....
+1 agree.

snip...

• snip....
+1 agree.
I agree too, I realised that it was the wrong way to go about naming packs, but after the fact, which is why I want to change it, Thanks for replies guys.

Now that naming packs is getting sorted out, can we start to talk about the writing of the packs. If something is going to have the STEP name on it then there should be a few standards in place that pack authors should strive to maintain.

Just for example:

1) No contractions, harder for people that are not native English speakers, they are less clear as well. Clarity is everything.

2) Pronouns addressed to the reader or writer are usually bad practice for instructional writing. That's a bit nitpicky on my part, but I think that it looks cleaner when things are not "you do this, now you do that".

Link goes to an invalid page with nothing on it?

Need this stuff sorted in one way or another else building packs will be troublesome. Right now (not literally) I'm thinking of just redoing the page with the correct title.I have not tried to add a modlist yet, will have another go when I've had some sleep.

Anyway will hopefully have a completed pack up and running some time tomorrow - GMT.

Link goes to an invalid page with nothing on it?

Fixed it, my bad.

Need this stuff sorted in one way or another else building packs will be troublesome. Right now (not literally) I'm thinking of just redoing the page with the correct title.I have not tried to add a modlist yet, will have another go when I've had some sleep.

Anyway will hopefully have a completed pack up and running some time tomorrow - GMT.

This project is very much in an "alpha" stage; things will break, we're no where near done with it.  In fact I'm going to have to redo most of the code for the mod tables anyways.