Building packs on the WIKI

Smile44

Question

Notice from Admin

July 11th, 2017

The Pack structure was never finished on the wiki and will be discontinued with the release of STEP 3.0. Packs will be moving to Mod Picker at that time and the Pack structure on the wiki will be stripped away. It is currently unknown what will happen to the current pack pages. This information can not be known until develop starts in that area.

Community member are, therefore, highly discouraged from using the Pack system on the wiki. The links on the wiki have been hidden, though the Pack form remains in place for current packs authors.

For those of you wanting to build a guide that isn't an official Pack, please use your personal user space on the wiki.

This user space is found at: wiki.step-project.com/User:Username

For example: https://wiki.step-project.com/User:TechAngel85

Getting Started

To begin creating a Pack and testing out the alpha implementation of the Pack-Guide-Creation-Engine (powered by Semantic Mediawiki), navigate to:
LINK REMOVED by Admin

Simply enter the name of your Pack (make it short and sweet for easier reference ... and please do not prefix with "STEP") and begin using the tool. Note that any mods to be included within any Pack must also be on the wiki. Many are already, but if not, please use the mod Form to create the mod page of interest:
https://wiki.step-project.com/Form:Mod

We aren't providing much instruction at this point, because we'd like people to mess around and learn how the wiki works in general.

Post in this forum for help if you get stuck!

OP:

This doesn't seem to be working for me, I'm having the issue where the popup window is really small.  Did that fix not get ported over from the Devwiki?

I'm making my queries here in lieu of a specific thread section being formed to address "Pack" support as suggested by Z.

!) I would like to change the Page title in line with the other Pack headings, more specifically from "STEP Weather Pack WIP" to Pack: Weather - this may not be final as there is a lighting element to this but there must be an easy way to edit that short of deleting the page and starting again.

2) I'm not sure how to add the mod lists. I can see the button but then nothing useful happens. This maybe because the facility to do this isn't active on these pages as yet but the tables do appear in the test pages for packs.

Any help were would be splendid.

:)

• Answers 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hi I can do no further work on this at present, either adding mods to the list or editing the packs as I do not have the needed permissions to do so. I thought about joining one of the groups e.g. Wiki Developer not sure if that applies precisely - perhaps a new category Pack Developer / Author? Either way I need to get the ability to change the title and to add a modlist. Currently the "Move" Option does not exist on any of my drop down menus and when I click on modlist I now get a form to fill in which is good but it quite clearly says that I do not have permission to edit this form. As for editing and adding mods, there are quite clear limits to what I am able to do within this form - should there perhaps be another category for non STEP mods?

I will continue to work on this as soon as I have the correct permissions.

All the best

EDIT: What I can and will do I guess is to install new STEP CORE and Extended and test the weather pack and lighting with that and post screenies - something to do :)

I think we may need a Pack Author designation for the wiki to grant permission to people for certain packs they are authors of. I think that the current system that only a few people can edit the main guide is proper and allows tech, z, and willy to maintain STEP quite well. With packs maybe whoever starts the pack becomes the one who edits that pack and that person can grant permission to others to edit that pack.

It would help when we get to 2.3.

The wiki is very minimal as far as permissions so we can't really restrict pack editing to just the pack author. I'm still not sure why you're not able to move pages or create mod lists, I'll point Stopping to this thread and see if he can figure it out.

RE permissions issues, I'll look into this and let you all know.

EDIT:

@ Smile44

See if you can move Pack pages now. I added a new user group to enable Pack edits and placed you in that.

@Farlo

To allow everyone this ability, I could also disable protection for Pack namespace ... Farlo, what do you think?

@Farlo

To allow everyone this ability, I could also disable protection for Pack namespace ... Farlo, what do you think?

How is it set up now? 

Personally I think we should keep it all open unless it becomes an issue.  Otherwise we'd have to manually set people to Pack Author and it either becomes a selective process, thus restricting who can create them based on our judgement, or it just ends up being busy work for us autoconfirming everyone.

OK I can now make Edits, I have changed the name to Pack: Weather. I'm in the process of adding the mods to the modlist - I have had some trouble in that it doesn't seem to like mods that are not already in the mod archive (which makes sense) so am in the process of adding these.

OK I can now make Edits, I have changed the name to Pack: Weather. I'm in the process of adding the mods to the modlist - I have had some trouble in that it doesn't seem to like mods that are not already in the mod archive (which makes sense) so am in the process of adding these.

That's purposeful.  Mods will need to be added to the wiki before they can be added to a pack.  Once everything is working the tables should show more than just the name and instructions.  In addition to listing DLC requirements and such, you'll be able to set which graphics option should be used via a dropdown list.

The Semantic wiki is a bit slow due to i/o limitations and current config. I have no doubt that we will see much faster page loading for uncached pages very soon as we migrate to the new server.

@Farlo

Yes, I agree that we can open up the permissions for the Pack namespace. However, I'll do that once we have more activity. Hoping that we'll get an idea of how many are interested in helping out by requiring them to ask for permissions. We should create an announcement about this and sticky the info on this thread ... (settings are in LocalSettings)

Actually I have tried to make edits to this and they will not save - the pack is up and working but I will still need to add Skyrim Particle Patch and some instruction changes.

I have made links to it so that I can get some feedback as it stands now - but the pack form still needs some ironing out at least with respect to the saving issue and title issue, but otherwise it works well and is fairly intuitive.

Actually I have tried to make edits to this and they will not save - the pack is up and working but I will still need to add Skyrim Particle Patch and some instruction changes.

I have made links to it so that I can get some feedback as it stands now - but the pack form still needs some ironing out at least with respect to the saving issue and title issue, but otherwise it works well and is fairly intuitive.

Try again now ... also, be sure to use Page Tools > Edit With Form. Lastly, be sure that you are editing the Pack page (Pack:SomePack) and not the subpage (PackSomePack/SubPage). I just tested with a test account sharing your privileges, and there is no problem saving revisions to your Pack page.

Yep just made a couple of minor changes and it worked like a charm. Interestingly prod80 has made a file and weather pack on his mod page built around Kountervibe ENB. I have tried this out and didn't like it as much as this and there were some notable issues as well for me at least, purple colouring (just a hint of) as if people are glowing but only outside. Meaning that the ENB files would need some tweaking somewhere, and I had some textures popping in and out - again likely to do with tweaks in the enblocl.ini file I suspect.

I will keep an eye on this though because it is similar to my pack guide in some ways but I still much prefer RealVision at this point.

Anyway thanks Z for doing the fixes for me I can now edit happily and as such the pack wiki software seems to work fully for me now - though I still would prefer an easy way to change the title of the page - if needed.

EDIT: Yesterday it worked today it wont let me save changes to the modlist - go figure.

EDIT2: It appears that some substantial changes have been made to the form and I can now update or at least was able to - hopefully it is more stable now.

Shame no one else appears to be sorting one out - I am assuming that these pack files will remain hidden from the rest of the wiki until such a time....