v2.2.8 Development

TechAngel85

Well I'd be happy to help with the implementation... after Thanksgiving. Hell maybe even during if I don't have to worry about finals I'll be riding in the car for 20-28 hours twiddling my thumbs or watching a movie or maybe playing Skyrim on my laptop...

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... now the part that we always get snagged on ... WHO is going to take responsibility and manage this development and maintenance??

;)

Well, I've been needing to learn TES5Edit for a while now. I think it's something that is important for me to know if I'm going to be handling a lot of the release coordination and whatnot. We have some experienced members that would be well qualified to handle it; however, they aren't always "on the ball" so to speak.

I can volunteer to create s patch for STEP: Core mods and keep it updated, as the STEP: Core updates.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

It sounds like we have a small group of qualified individuals to get the ball rolling then ... (roots, tech and Nearox). It would be great if we could define a methodology and make the maintenance easily transferable down the road. As I always say: process is more important than product just as long as the product is useful.

In that case we'd also need to think what we'd want as the final 'product' with regards to patching STEP:Core.

Would it be individual patches for mods or one single patch for all STEP:Core mods?

An argument for the individual patches is that maintenance is likely to be easier to maintain when specific mod updates occur. Another is that this is more useful for people who do not wish to install every mod of STEP:Core.

An argument for a single patch for all SPEP:Core mods is that it would require less esps and less hassle for the end-user with regards to load order etc.

Most of what is in STEP core are mods that do not change drastically over time, and the areas the patches seem to cover are stuff that would most likely always be included in said version. Hence maintenance should not be that big.

Most of what is in STEP core are mods that do not change drastically over time' date=' and the areas the patches seem to cover are stuff that would most likely always be included in said version. Hence maintenance should not be that big.[/quote']

We could make two patches total if certain mods never change, one that never gets updated because it covers mods that are finished or not updated anymore. Then a second patch that is maintained and updated because it covers things like the unofficial patches and ongoing projects.

I did not mean that mods dont EVER get updated, just that when they do the edits done here are kinda most likely going to be there even in the updated version. The only case where they might not is if the author fixes the very same issues... in which case the patch does not hurt but is just not required.

Another idea: contact the authors of STEP:Core mods that need patching for STEP:Core compatibility and ask them to integrate said changes or upload patched versions ourselves if the mod's permissions allow it. We could upload these patched versions to the STEP site as well.

I do like the idea of providing one big patch for STEP:Core and another for STEP:Extended when we get there.

All readers interested in this idea, please also read through this thread and post over there. These are different pieces of potentially the same project.

• 3 weeks later...

I've updated the changelog with the information from the Bug Reports thread. All that was changed as a result of that thread should be in the changelog (not detailed though). Here's a small list of things that still need to be done before the next release that I'll be working on:

• Compare of Core vs Extended mods. Ask: "Is it better than Core?" when comparing."
  • Add "User's Choice" to mods that have no recommendation
  • Make sure BCFs are up-to-date
  • Review and Update Dual Shealth Redux, XPMS, FNIS instructions
  • Update interior mods to 2K baselines (still in question/should be discussed)
  • In-game mod configurations via MCM. (W&C, etc)
  • "It would be really handy to have instructions at the end of the mod list with things to do in chronological order before runinng Skyrim. Much like neovalen has in the SR guide. At the moment in STEP, all these instructions are a bit chaotically found throughout the guide and people must click the detailed instructions of the mods again to see them, which can easily lead to errors. A standard procedure would be nice." -Nerox
  • Add newly created STEP patches/compilations.
  • Scan through MS for mod candidates for testing.
  • "Better Weapon Swings and Thundering Shout .ESPS are not needed? They are just blank and are used with the BSA file. If so it can be suggested to remove the .esps from both I would think." - Eliian

Good summary. Here are some more considerations:

• Clean up STEP Guide to simplify instructions to include only the relevant where it makes the most sense.
  • Ensure links from STEP Guide to ancillary guides jump to quickref pages of those guides so that user's get all of the relevant guide info summarized (links to larger guide from quickref page for those that want to read more in-depth).
  • Identify Guide-level components (WIP) and add where necessary. Convert these to templates.
  • Cleanout of Extended mods into Extended Pack if possible (but not really slated until 2.3.0). I definitely am in favor of removing any Extended mod that is not an improvement over Core.

• 2 weeks later...