Creation Kit (by Bethesda)

Luinithil

Question

I'm following the instructions given in the guide to open up Live Another Life in the CK-- all plugins have been cleaned with TES5Edit. I selected Skyrim.esm, Update.esm, Dawnguard.esm, Hearthfires.esm and Dragonborn.esm, and lastly the Alternate Start plugin, setting it as the active file. Loading the files proceeds as usual, then at some point loading Hearthfires (around 80% loaded) it pops up with this error message:

Assert

File: C:\_Skyrim\Code\TESV\TES Shared\misc\BGSLocalizedString.cpp

Line:2871
LOCALIZATION: Error opening or reading strings file.

There is an option to Abort/Retry/Ignore. I click "Ignore" at this point (have also tried "Retry", with the same results), and it gives me the following message:

MASTERFILE: LOCALIZATION: Zero entries or empty block size read from strings file STRINGS/Dragonborn_ENGLISH.STRINGS. Strings will be missing. Yes to all will disable all Warnings for this context.

I hit "Yes to all" and the CK promptly crashes. I've verified my cache twice, redownloaded Dragonborn.esm, and still the problem persists. Help! What am I getting wrong?

• Answers 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Are you sure you have the config file for CK to load Dragonborn.esm correctly so that you can load more than one at a time? Just a thought. That's why mine was crashing a long time ago.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Well! Thanks for that reminder ath3nos! I checked and the config file WAS the issue. I managed to leave out Dragonborn.esm altogether since I just got it less than 2 days ago-- AFTER configuring the CK previously for the other DLCs I had. >.< That'll teach me to go through and revise my SR install on too little sleep at 4AM in the morning. The CK and files now load up just right and I can save the plugin; though the CK keeps crashing on exit after saving; no idea why it keeps doing that, but oh well.

Thanks for the help everyone!

I'm using Creation Kit for the first time and I'm having some problems creating a compatibility patch for Ultimate Whiterun and ELFX to fix some floating torches, maybe someone can help me out. Here is what I am doing: I use Mod organizer to load creation kit, select the Skyrim.esm, Update.esm and the two mods, and load the worldspace where the floating torches are located. I move the torches so they are no longer floating and save my changes to a new plugin. I enable the plugin and move it to the very bottom of my load order, however when I start a new game and go to the location of the floating torches, they are still there, floating. What am I doing wrong?

Hey all, I'm trying to use the CK through Mod Organizer. When I launch CK (from MO) and click Data to load up some esp's I'm only seeing the core files but none of the mods installed in MO. I'm sure its something I missed somewhere...any idea what I need to do?

I am finally trying to learn more about using the Creation Kit ... Currently, I am having real problems panning the camera. If I hold down my mouse wheel (mouse 3), I can pan, yes, but whatever object is selected also moves to the left. This happens whenever I hold down the mouse wheel. Selected object continuously moves to the left, and I can pan just fine ... but who cares, because I have now messed up the selected object's position.

Soes anyone have any idea why this is happening or how to 'fix'?

I'm getting nowhere with setting PapyrusCompiler.exe to work in "32". I found this resource https://bitcrawler.blogspot.com/2011/01/how-to-run-32-bit-application-on-64-bit.html, and had been originally using Neovalen's instructions Skyrim Revisited Legendary pack. All attemps have resulted in one of two results:

either 1. the file cannot be accessed,

or 2. an error when CorFlags attempts to change the .EXE

Windows for me as set me up in a weird user/semi-admin situation on my PC. While I can change permissions, I don't always have those same permission for changing files. When I tried to make my user profile open to administrative access, some files were locked and barred from me changing access settings, claiming that they were in use (through Window Task Manager I couldn't see any programs with said files active).

I'm completely stumped at the moment and hope I can figure it out with all of you.

-RuubixO

Is there a way to merge cells in the CK? The player home mod I'm working on is currently made up of at least 4 cells and it's really annoying working with some things across cells.

If the answer to that is no, is there a way to determine the size of a cell when creating from scratch or is that baked in?

Is there a way to merge cells in the CK? The player home mod I'm working on is currently made up of at least 4 cells and it's really annoying working with some things across cells.

If the answer to that is no, is there a way to determine the size of a cell when creating from scratch or is that baked in?

Technically yes :

1) Double click on the cell you want to merge other cells into, so it load in the render window

2) Select one of the cell you want to merge in the previous one in the cell list with a single click (so the previous one is still the one in the render view)

3) Use Shift+Click to select all the content of the cell you want to move to the new one (from the list in the right pane of the cell view window)

4) Do a massive drag n drop from the list to the render window.

But you'll probably need a few try before actually having the two cells merged properly, so don't forget to save before doing this ^^

Be aware that drag n dropped stuffs keep their relative position, but the origin is the top of your cursor. Be sure to drop in a place where there is a "little something" (just add a tile of floor where you want to move the stuff), or the Z position will be super-messed up ^^

Also : don't drag n drop the navmesh if there is any, rebuild it once you're done merging/editing. And check in game, i don't know what's in the cells you want to merge, but if there is a lot of stuff linked to each other (like activator and so on), stuffs might end up broken.

And finally, you'll have to switch every loading doors to simple doors. And perform a quick check in xEdit in case there is any record that's kept from the former cell in the dat of the placed objects you added (stuffs like location, owner, and so on...), I'm not sure how this is getting copied when you use the trick described above. If you have massive changes, throwing in a small xEdit script to fix it all should do the trick.

But to be honest, I think it's a bad idea... I'm pretty sure you'll never get proper alignment between the various cells you merged together. But if you manage to do it somehow, you'll probably be a pioneer in one of the many sides of skyrim modding  ::P:

Edited by Kesta

Interesting. Sounds like I sound just deal with it. Right now I'm playing around with Jaggarsfeld. The exterior is made up of at least four cells. I was wondering why the author did this instead of just placing the entire mod in one large cell. The navmesh is the annoying part. I've fixed a lot of the issues; however, the navmesh really needs to be redone from scratch.

One more question:

Can you create new navmeshes and rooms in an addon ESP and have it successfully overwrite the main mod?

The reason I ask, is I've been in contact with the authors of Jaggarsfeld and they are in "standby" mode and aren't giving up any permissions for the main mod just yet (even though it's been Nov 2013 since the last update). As mentioned, I've fixed a lot of issues with the navmesh; however, they don't seem that interested in the fixes. They are allowing any addons to be made, though, as long as the main file is kept as a master. So I'm asking if I put all my navmesh fixes and other additions into an addon plugin (planning on adding an additional room for child/followers) will they overwrite successfully?

Honestly I have no idea how overrides behave regarding navmeshs. You can still fix it and see how it goes. But tbh, I just downloaded the mod to have a look, fixing it properly just with an addon seems crazy... there is a whole bunch of wild dirty edits.

And about my previous post : I'm not used to work with worldspaces (aka "exterior" cells), but I guess the trick wouldn't work for terrain edits, so exteriors wouldn't be mergeable anyway.

Honestly I have no idea how overrides behave regarding navmeshs. You can still fix it and see how it goes. But tbh, I just downloaded the mod to have a look, fixing it properly just with an addon seems crazy... there is a whole bunch of wild dirty edits.

And about my previous post : I'm not used to work with worldspaces (aka "exterior" cells), but I guess the trick wouldn't work for terrain edits, so exteriors wouldn't be mergeable anyway.

Thanks, I guess it's a try and see situation. I'll PM Zilav first though and ask him about the navmeshes before wasting even more hours on it than I already have.

I understand what you are saying. This mod has a lot of issues which I wanted to fix. I just started with the navmeshes, but the authors don't seem to be interested for whatever reason. I guess they plan on returning to it someday.

As for the exterior cells, the author told me it was designed like that because he'd originally planned for the "trophy hall" to be in the same space but changed it later. He openly admitted they were learning the CK when building this mod. I'd just build my own if I could use that sorting system they're using, but they're not going to part with anything from this mod anytime soon so I'm just have to hope I can fix some things using an addon