73 replies to this topic

#31 blacksol

blacksol

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:44 AM

Ok after a fair bit of testing I still get CTD at Dawnstar and seemingly nowhere else after running around the skyrim countryside and fast travelling etc for an hour or two. Every time I go to dawnstar I CTD except one time my shadows were borked (likely from too much alt-tabbing to see VRAM in GPU-Z or ini files having a few instances of 2 lines on one row) and it didn't crash and VRAM was down about 750 due to no shadows. I uninstalled SkyrimHD and changed a couple of other exterior mods to lower resolutions. VRAM is generally still in 1100-1200's (on a 1280 GTX 570) and frequently at 1250 in various places without CTD. Does not appear to be a VRAM spike in Dawnstar. Changed exteriorcellbuffer to 100 on ugrids 7 and still no issues anywhere but Dawnstar. Tried other towns in skyrim worldspace eg Morthal and no issues. On these settings seems to run smoother apart from some stutters on cell transitions. Rest is pretty much full STEP install with optimized vanilla and DLC textures. So beats me why i CTD at Dawnstar but looks to be unrelated to your issue.

#32 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,274 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:41 PM

Don't alt-tab to GPU-z. Turn on logging and look at the log file when you exit. I posted a proposed standard somewhere on these forums. Cross reference my name with GPU-z in a search of the forums.

#33 MadWizard25

MadWizard25

Thane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:34 AM

@MadWizard25
I can confirm that your video shoudn't be the entire problem.
I've the exact same card with 1920*1024 resolution and I experienced many freezes (outside whiterun, going straight forward to the down river for example) and game loading when directly outside.
I mention also that I freshly installed STEP and skyrim for a new game.
After, optimized textures the problem has been solved (at least for the 5 hours I played last two nights).
Just few changes on my config. uGrid => 7 and shadows configured with this values http://skyrim.nexusm...ile.php?id=7638

Thanks, I was getting freezes at exactly the same place, but i had already DDSopt-imized the vanilla textures, the DLC textures, and the Hi-Res packs textures. I did optimize any other of the textures mods though, such as armor of foliage. Maybe i should :)

#34 llfbandit

llfbandit

Prisoner

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:57 AM

I didn't it see it in your previous posts but I didn't use DDSopt ! I used Optimizer Textures by Apipino. http://skyrim.nexusm...le.php?id=12801

#35 psychosteve

psychosteve

Prisoner

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:47 PM

i'm experiencing the same crap... for some times i have HUGE numbers of game freezes : > when using destruction magic (i'm playing a mage so it's really annoying) > when NPC or ennemis are attacking with destruction magic (which is often) > when dragons attacking with fire / ice breath (dragons are part of the gamplay...that's a shame) > when opening player menu or contaigner menu (wich is 75% of the gameplay) i used to play with a moded game ...so i've tried to remove mod after mod to see which one was causing those... NONE !...even the vanilla game's doing it (even making a file check with STEAM or changing the sound to 24 bits 44100)... i don't know what else to do :(

#36 torminater

torminater

Dragon Prince

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:57 AM

i'm experiencing the same crap... for some times i have HUGE numbers of game freezes :

> when using destruction magic (i'm playing a mage so it's really annoying)

> when NPC or ennemis are attacking with destruction magic (which is often)

> when dragons attacking with fire / ice breath (dragons are part of the gamplay...that's a shame)

> when opening player menu or contaigner menu (wich is 75% of the gameplay)

i used to play with a moded game ...so i've tried to remove mod after mod to see which one was causing those... NONE !...even the vanilla game's doing it (even making a file check with STEAM or changing the sound to 24 bits 44100)... i don't know what else to do :(

ok, I think I know something which might help you.
!!!!Backup your skyrim folder
a) disable at least burnified effects/burnfreezeshock effects and any other mod that makes changes to destruction magic, delete your inis and let them be created new by Skyrim Launcher. Long Load times opening your inventory usually come from scripting errors which result in adding like 10000000000000000000 feathers to your inventory which makes it impossible for your rig to open your inventory in a decent time. This usually is only a problem with XBox, but you never know.
b) use a complete vanilla install. when I say complete, I mean complete. This includes:

#37 Farlo

Farlo

Dragon Prince

• Site Founders
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:18 AM

ok, I think I know something which might help you.
!!!!Backup your skyrim folder
a) disable at least burnified effects/burnfreezeshock effects and any other mod that makes changes to destruction magic, delete your inis and let them be created new by Skyrim Launcher. Long Load times opening your inventory usually come from scripting errors which result in adding like 10000000000000000000 feathers to your inventory which makes it impossible for your rig to open your inventory in a decent time. This usually is only a problem with XBox, but you never know.
b) use a complete vanilla install. when I say complete, I mean complete. This includes:

Where did you find those instructions (or did you make them :blink: )!?  I'd very much like to post those on our wiki, and of course I like to give credit where it's due.

#38 frihyland

frihyland

Dwemer Lord

• Site Founders
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:29 AM

Where did you find those instructions (or did you make them :blink: )!?  I'd very much like to post those on our wiki, and of course I like to give credit where it's due.

We have simpler instructions already included in SIG and Bash guides.

#39 Farlo

Farlo

Dragon Prince

• Site Founders
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:27 PM

We have simpler instructions already included in SIG and Bash guides.

Yeah but they're no where near as thorough, and this also includes testing to make sure the vanilla installation is stable.

#40 frihyland

frihyland

Dwemer Lord

• Site Founders
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:23 PM

Its totally redundant if people are following SIG as they have already made a full backup of the vanilla skyrim directory, if you haven't made a vanilla backup just delete all files and directories under skyrim except data and in there delete all but the large bsa files and then run steam validate. Then delete your skyrim directory under mygames and finally make a zip backup as you should have done in the first place :D. That procedure is already laid out in the troubleshooting guide. I'm also about to explain what each default skyrim file does for those who really want to nerd out. :geek:

#41 gwoody79

gwoody79

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:09 AM

Its totally redundant if people are following SIG as they have already made a full backup of the vanilla skyrim directory, if you haven't made a vanilla backup just delete all files and directories under skyrim except data and in there delete all but the large bsa files and then run steam validate. Then delete your skyrim directory under mygames and finally make a zip backup as you should have done in the first place :D. That procedure is already laid out in the troubleshooting guide.

I'm also about to explain what each default skyrim file does for those who really want to nerd out. :geek:

i'm ready to nerd out :) knowledge is power!

#42 torminater

torminater

Dragon Prince

• Contributors
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:46 AM

took me about 15 minutes to write it up (did it myself too often...). of course there is the SIG but the problem is, that many people don't have a clean vanilla setup as backup in the first place. They come to this forum after a long way of modding their game without having heard anything about clean saves etc.
I myself have a really bad internet connection which makes validating any files by steam really really really annoying (internet mostly dies before it ran the validation). It's fairly easy to manually delete only those files that don't have anything to do with skyrim vanilla and then run a validation as check, whether or not some original files have been lost.

#43 frihyland

frihyland

Dwemer Lord

• Site Founders
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:57 AM

So in the case of poor internet service it can be added as an alternate to the procedure in the troubleshooting guide.

#44 torminater

torminater

Dragon Prince

• Contributors
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

So in the case of poor internet service it can be added as an alternate to the procedure in the troubleshooting guide.

makes sense to me! :)

#45 psychosteve

psychosteve

Prisoner

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:59 PM

@torminater Thanks dude ! it took me some time but i've made a folder clean and reinstall mod after mod. In fact i had not just 1 problem : > Extended color sliders : making my game to freeze (randomly) if it's placed at the end of the load order list > Deadly spell impact : the "high resolution" decals were making the magic / dragons freezes (i've installed a lower version) > the ini was "corrupted" (i guess) i just have to test my new setting for some times to see if all OK...but apparently it's ok with thoses 3 changes THANKS AGAIN !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users