Are both large textures mods really necessary?

Spiffyman

Question

Necessary, no. It's personal preference which people prefer. I don't use Skyrim HD 2k at all since they differ quite a bit from the original textures, whilst SRO follow the original theme nicely but just.. looks better.

That's good to know. I actually like SRO better as well, and was hoping I could use just that one. It's HUGE so I'm considering getting the 1024k version instead. But since mod changes so much mod, maybe I should be patient and grab the regular higher-res version....

Both of you are right, i will add a note suggesting you can just pick one of the 2 mods instead of both, explain the differencies. Having both installed means you get all the possible enhancement to the skyrim textures, but it's a slight difference from just 1 of them.

Thanks for the help Vond and Compiler! I'll go with the 1024 version since I have 1gb on my GPU. Better than Vond, but still below his recommendation. :)

1gb is better than 1.28gb? ;)

Agree with all of the above, and second Vond's opinion about SROHD. Definitely my favorite fo them all. If you want to compare all of the tex pack overhauls in five different worldspaces, visit the tables at the bottom of the DDSopt guide. Well over 100 images with HRDLC, SROHD, SKYHD, SERHD, & ISTPS (plus Vano89)

What I've been doing is using SRO as the main replacer, but installing Skyrim HD aswell, just very very low priority in WB (even HRDLC overwrites it). That way it ONLY overwrites the optimized files from Skyrim - Textures.bsa, and nothing else. That way I get a few higher res versions of certain files that other mods or the DLC didn't fix only. Probably not worth it if you have a slow connection though as you'd download several gb of data and only use a few mb, but hey I live in Sweden so internet speed isn't an issue. ;)

Comparing the screenshots from the DDSopt wiki guide I must say I agree that SRO looks better.

Looking at the Skyrim HD2k walls in White Phial, I think they are out of a comic. Also I think that the rocks have too much of a grey/silver tint. The Riverwood rooftops look by far better using SRO.

But I can understand that this is an issue of personal preferences. I mean who wants too much realism in a fantasy role playing game. :happy:

May I also ask why someone would need HD mods of certain areas? (like Riften HQ, HQ College of Winterhold) Are they just, again, for different tastes?

Other question: is it possible to use Skyrim HD without overwriting SRO to keep the additional highres textures?

or does that just look weird?

Just install SKYHD first. Vond's approach may be the best: Install SKYHD as your very first texture mod. Then you get whatever you like best with a bit of SKYHD high res shining through where you might otherwise see vanilla (but I prefer vanilla).