STEP Patches

Nearox

Hey, thanks a lot for your patching guide, Ess.

I recently did my own "CORE" patch which includes all of SMIM's esps, NoNPCGreetings, WAF_GDO patch, EBT_DB_DG patch and ICS_EBT patch and a personal must have, NoSnekAttackSound. Everything is working as intended, no problems whatsoever. Buuuuut, half an hour ago I decided that it was finally time to check out AOS and say goodbye for now to SoS. And so I tried merging my CORE patch with all of the STEP Extended patches for AOS, save the WnC patch, but I got a ton of errors. Then I did a merge patch containing all of the AOS patches previously mentioned and it merged without conflicts so I compared it to my CORE patch and it seems all of the errors occurred because of the Weapon entries from GDO but as far as I can tell most of the conflicts liay in that they use a different keyword slot for the same keyword. That, and other minor changes. Anyway, question is: do you do your patches using the "Copy and override into" function rather than the merging script? For the sake of simplicity (and inexperience) do you see anything wrong with just sorting my AOS Patches before my CORE patch to have all of the WAF_GDO being effected?

A few things to be aware of:

• If the plugin you are merging is a master after using "Copy as override into", then it cannot be merged. Other mods can end up masters, but not the one being merged.
  • The merging script is for plugins that have unique FormIDs. The script gives those records a new FormID, but you have to take the two plugins and merge them into a new plugin.
  • Get the keywords for any kryptopr mod from WAF, WAF GDO patch has an incorrect keyword. Go to the WAF page, click on the articles tab and read about using Update.esm keyword injection. You can just copy those keywords to any plugin and they should have FormIDs: 10XXXXXX.

The best thing I can tell you is to use the STEP CORE patch and just merge all those patches not included in it using the "Copy as Override into". I'd bet that there aren't any mods that are masters of the STEP Core patch that you don't have. Also, you could use the STEP Combined patch I made and just start with that. It only requires SMIM. Get is on my github page in the 2.2.9 folder: https://github.com/EssArrBee/STEP-Patches

A few things to be aware of:

• If the plugin you are merging is a master after using "Copy as override into", then it cannot be merged. Other mods can end up masters, but not the one being merged.
  • The merging script is for plugins that have unique FormIDs. The script gives those records a new FormID, but you have to take the two plugins and merge them into a new plugin.
  • Get the keywords for any kryptopr mod from WAF, WAF GDO patch has an incorrect keyword. Go to the WAF page, click on the articles tab and read about using Update.esm keyword injection. You can just copy those keywords to any plugin and they should have FormIDs: 10XXXXXX.

The best thing I can tell you is to use the STEP CORE patch and just merge all those patches not included in it using the "Copy as Override into". I'd bet that there aren't any mods that are masters of the STEP Core patch that you don't have. Also, you could use the STEP Combined patch I made and just start with that. It only requires SMIM. Get is on my github page in the 2.2.9 folder: https://github.com/EssArrBee/STEP-Patches

Thank you so much, my friend. I did as you said and used STEP Core Patch as a base and then copied and overrode EBT_DB_DG patch, AOS_EBT and No Spinning Death Animation, as you just pointed out that it's OK to merge. I also tried to merge Ragdolls and Force but when I tried it it warned me that I would have to make Ragdolls and Force a master, which didn't make sense of course.

Lastly, I know CoT isn't supported by STEP anymore but I'm still using it and I was wondering if you could help me with this too. When I tried overriding AOS_CoT patch to my CORE patch, it wouldn't show me the option to do so. There were lots of conflicts and I couldn't forward the changes from the AOS patch manually either so, how do I merge this one? 

Edited by phryxolydian

So, one more thing to know about merging mods is that Game Settings are different. You have to add them one by one using Editor IDs.

• Right click Game Settings->Add->GMST - Game Setting.
  • Put in any FormID that start with the load order number (like if the mod is 4D in the load order add 4DXXXXXX).
  • Then go to Realistic Ragdolls and get the Editor ID and then add it to the Editor ID line for the new FormID you just added to your plugin.
  • This should make the other records with that game setting show up and you can drag the setting from Realistic Ragdolls over.

You can also copy those game settings from Skyrim.esm since that is a required master, so the FormID matches Skyrim.esm. Not sure how that matters, but I was always taught to make the Game Settings from the EditorIDs.

We don't have that guide, yet. I had the crazy idea of converting the FNVEdit training manual to TES5Edit and putting all on the Wiki. That would be a huge undertaking though. I'm not teaching in the summer so I'll have time to do it, but I'm not really that excited about it. I started with a couple wiki pages and then quickly realized just how much work it would be to convert the entire 200 pages or whatever it is and stopped.

200 pages?! Holly sh..cow, that would be a rather massive undertaking, indeed!

OK Ess, I know I've bothered you enough already but bare with me please: is there a special method to merge mods that alter Region Data if some the entries are present on both mods except with different Weather Types? In other words, how do I patch AOS_CoT with STEP Core since the Core patch already has the same Region FormIDs but obviously with Vanilla Weather. Or perhaps it's not a good idea to merge these two? Copy-override into doesn't work, nor drag-dropping, is it better to just sort AOS_CoT after the Core Patch instead of merging?

Edited by phryxolydian

So, one more thing to know about merging mods is that Game Settings are different. You have to add them one by one using Editor IDs.

• Right click Game Settings->Add->GMST - Game Setting.
  • Put in any FormID that start with the load order number (like if the mod is 4D in the load order add 4DXXXXXX).
  • Then go to Realistic Ragdolls and get the Editor ID and then add it to the Editor ID line for the new FormID you just added to your plugin.
  • This should make the other records with that game setting show up and you can drag the setting from Realistic Ragdolls over.

You can also copy those game settings from Skyrim.esm since that is a required master, so the FormID matches Skyrim.esm. Not sure how that matters, but I was always taught to make the Game Settings from the EditorIDs.

I added this to the mini-guide on Merging plugins.

200 pages?! Holly sh..cow, that would be a rather massive undertaking, indeed!

OK Ess, I know I've bothered you enough already but bare with me please: is there a special method to merge mods that alter Region Data if some the entries are present on both mods except with different Weather Types? In other words, how do I patch AOS_CoT with STEP Core since the Core patch already has the same Region FormIDs but obviously with Vanilla Weather. Or perhaps it's not a good idea to merge these two? Copy-override into doesn't work, nor drag-dropping, is it better to just sort AOS_CoT after the Core Patch instead of merging?

Expand the STEP Core patch and delete the records that are the same for the AOS/COT patch. Then do the copy to override into. I'm not sure why drag and drop isn't working for you. Just drag straight across and should work. If it doesn't then just do the deletions method I already mentioned.

That seemed to do the trick. Thanks again, Ess. I don't know why it won't let me drag n' drop certain records, for example I can't drag n' drop Faction records from USKP to EEO. Anyway.. I just downloaded that FO3Edit manual. Is it safe to say everything works the same way in TES5Edit? Thanks for all the help!