FNV with OneHUD and UnifiedHUD

EssArrBee

Question

I've been trying to put together a list of mods and install instructions for FNV for some time, but there is no real solution to using just one mod manager for FNV because of OneHUD and UnifiedHUD. The install scripts can only be used by NMM and I think FOMM which is a problem because neither of those seem to work through MO. NMM is 64-bit and FOMM crashes the second I try to install either mod.

Technically I can install OneHUD without the use of the installer, so that isn't my main problem, but UnifiedHUD is a different type of mod. I had heard about doing separate folder with the mods that UnifiedHUD needs to merge xml files then copying over, but that seems like a terrible thing for a guide to use if it is trying to simplify things for general users. The only thing I can think of is MO supporting 64-bit binaries so MO can start NMM.

What do you guys think, is there a better way to address these two mods or do I just wait for a plugin or 64-bit support?

• Answers 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I looked for a solution as well and I didn't find one, apart from using FOMM. There are a couple of other mods that are only available in that format. It's not very bad, just a time consuming, and each time you want to update the mod, you need to go through the whole process again.

The easiest (from user point of view) solution would be for Tannin to implement the functionality to install such mods directly from MO. Not sure how realistic that is though. Maybe we can get the answer on our new MO Support forums? :D

Mods like darnified UI, MCM, Unified Hud needs to see the XXX_menu.xml files installed by other mods to work properly. The fundamental concept of MO (Mod Organizer) is mod isolation. In the current situation with MO when installing those kind of mods with the fomod installer plugin (both internal and externall) the installer plugin can't find those xml files.

Solutions so far have been FOMM or NMM, you can set them up in such a way that they point to a fake Fallout New Vegas (FONV) install. You install the mods and then copy the contents back to MO.  This can indeed be cumbersome.

At this point there should be a another solution. MO RC8 has a much improved NMM importer. I know of someone who torture tested the importer for 2 days, Tannin used the feedback to improve the importer. After that it was tested again for 1.5 days and Tannin again used that feedback to make improvements. I haven't tested the NMM importer of MO RC8 myself at this point but I'm pretty confident it is pretty stable know.

Please try the following. Install the mods with NMM, then use the NMM importer to import them into MO. After that uninstall the mods in NMM. Please report back your findings.

this is just a shot in the dark here, but why not make a single mod package that contains all mods that have the XXX_menu.xml files needed to be seen, so that they will all be visible in a single folder and not isolated from one another, and then install the mods that need to see said files into the same folder. nothing will be isolated from one another.

I say this is a shot in the dark as I do not play fallout series currently and cannot physically experiment with their mods. I am assuming that there will be no serious overwrites or conflicts if the files from all of the aformentioned mods are placed in the same folder while the proper file structure is followed, and that MO would be able to read the file structure.

so why not just open up the installer file with winrar or 7z and then copy/paste the files into the mod folder you make in MO? it takes a little knowledge of how the file structure is built for the mods, and which plugins you want, but if you can manually extract the necessary files and then place them into the self built mod folder then it should work.

As wolverine said already the only working way (that I am aware of) is simply creating a fake New Vegas directory placing inside the default_ini, the new vegas.exe, the new vegas launcher.exe and a Data folder containing the new vegas.esm and then change the settings in FOMM to point at that directory. You install in FOMM the hud mods you want or any other mod that cannot be installed with MO and then you just select all the files that will have been created inside that Data folder-except the new vegas.esm- and you add them in a winrar achive with a name of your choice. You then open that rar file in MO just like you install every other zip/rar mod file and voila. That way I have managed to install oneHud, DarnUI, Unified Hud and they all work just fine.

@EssArrBee and @rootsrat. Should you test it and find something which is not working and its related to the NMM importer please update 'bug report' ticket 435.

Files with extension .js indicate javascript files. Files with extension .java indicate java files. Javascript and Java are not related to each other, except for the names which can be confusing. MO's in-tool tutorials use Javascript.

Please create a feature request for javascript support for the fomod installers or a bug report for the UnifiedHUD's installer mod. Not sure which is most appropriate though.

As wolverine said already the only working way (that I am aware of) is simply creating a fake New Vegas directory placing inside the default_ini' date=' the new vegas.exe, the new vegas launcher.exe and a Data folder containing the new vegas.esm and then change the settings in FOMM to point at that directory. You install in FOMM the hud mods you want or any other mod that cannot be installed with MO and then you just select all the files that will have been created inside that Data folder-except the new vegas.esm- and you add them in a winrar achive with a name of your choice. You then open that rar file in MO just like you install every other zip/rar mod file and voila. That way I have managed to install oneHud, DarnUI, Unified Hud and they all work just fine.[/quote']

You don't have to make a zipfile and then install it manually. MO uses mod isolation and all 'mods' are just a directory in the /mods directory. On startup or after hitting the refresh button in the left pane MO reads that directory and then populates the left pane with mods. Hence instead of zipping 'all the contents' just put it in a directory in the /mods directory. This works fine and I have done this a few times. I only wish that I finally get around to updating the sandbox MO wiki so I can cut down on simplified explanations like this and just point to the correct place.

For those who want to try the NMM importer for the usage I suggested here is some information.

I've just retested the NMM importer for the third time, now with RC8. First impression: The NMM importer as in the last test has problems with files which are overwritten (when installed by NMM) and they are not copied (at least not all) when imported into MO. Not sure if that matters for xhud/MCM mods for Fallout 3 (FO3) and FallOut New Vegas (FONV). At this point I've only roughly checked a few things, amongst which are 'overwritten files'. A full interpretation of the import and a test report will likely take a day.

I'll keep this in mind later on when I test it out. I started doing something else this morning and before I knew it, it was already almost 4pm. I think the hud files might overwrite, but they are .xml files that are combined by UnifiedHUD. Maybe I'll take the vanilla ones out and put them in the fake directory and then import them back.