Using alternative ENB?

I would like to try an alternative ENB to the Unreal Cinema 0.231 which is in the current SL:RE pack but wanted to keep every thing neat and tidy within MO so thought I would ask what sort of changes I would have to make.

I know there are effectively three parts to using the ENB...

There is the .dll itself from Boris and there is the preset that the specific ENB uses. Both of these are managed easily with the ENB Manager tool but there is the third part. Unreal Cinema ENB contains the 1.17 data files to do with sun glare, edited meshes and shaders plus the Mindflux Particle Patch.

If I wanted to look at a different Performance ENB that didn't come bundled with the Particle Patch and meshes, what would I need to copy from the Unreal Cinema data file to be able to do so tidily within MO?

Data files for ENB can all be installed in MO in the same way as Unreal, so just activate the new one and deactivate Unreal. Really you just need to change the preset. But with an ENB that comes without these you can use the Particle patches from Mindflux - LINK and place those in the same place in MO as the Unreal data file. You don't need the water patch as you are using RW2 I would imagine. I do not know for certain that these included data files as with Unreal are not tweaked for use only with that preset's lighting and effects but it can't hurt to try it out.

I am sure you are familiar with most if not all of this so if I have oversimplified and or missed the point then- Oh well.

:)

EDIT: Have added a link to the word LINK as was originally intended. Whoops.

I did what you suggested and made a fresh "RealVision Performance 0.231 Data File" mod that contained the particle patch and anything that Realvision Performance needed. That means that I now have the profiles in ENB Manager for both RealVision (performance) and Unreal Cinema (quality) as well as the pair of "data file" mods in MO, only one of which will be ticked at a time. I can now swap between my playing ENB and my screenshot ENB.

I was surprised to note that RealVision + ELFX was much lighter in the interiors than Unreal Cinema + ELFX. When doing the escape under Helgen with Unreal Cinema I was constantly bumping into walls and fumbling in the dark for corpses. RealVision was not a lot different from vanilla + ELFX.

You could also just make unreal performance friendly if you prefer that.

Kinda wrong in oh so many ways to say that one is for performance and one is for quality. They are both quality pieces of work. The FPS count can be the same for both with identical performance settings.

Also you could just increase the ambient interior lighting values to fit your monitor if you cant see anything.

Also you will need the particle patch from mindflux for ANY ENB preset you use, since it fixes meshes that have wrong shader flags. Hence the meshes will cause issues regardless of which preset you use.

The "only" thing that is not constant with ENB´s are the sun textures... every ENB always have to be optimized for the sun textures you are using if the Preset author does not include a link or the actual textures!

I will have a play with the Unreal settings and see what framerate I get if I switch off the big hitters. At least RealVision-Performance will give me an idea of what would be considered lightweight now.

The escape from Helgen was the first time I had used AOS and I must say Alduin is a lot more impressive close up now I have heard him in his full glory! OBIS surprised me at the little bandit camp near the Guardian Stones too. Instead of the usual 1x archer, 1x light and 1x heavy trio of bandits, this time I got a novice conjurer, a mage and some bruiser type. It required almost as much finesse as when I tried that encounter with Requiem at level one last time I started a game. That time I remember sighting on a bandit for my typical distance shot and watching the arrow drop way short. The bandits didn't have the same trouble hitting me though!

SR works very well with Requiem - but I wouldn't know where to start with sorting out conflicts SR style. Requiem needs to overwrite just about everything. The Requiem Pack on top of SR is very stable.

:)

P.S. @DanielCoffey - you need to install ELFX Enhancer but not ELFX Exteriors when using RealVision if you do that then the interiors are very dark - that said I am working with Unreal again just now. Needs tweaking though as I can lose up to 40+ fps with it outside when raining but this is also with my weather pack installed. I expect there are several changes needed in the ini with respect to rain.

Just a quickie about my first attempt at lightening Unreal Cinema... I turned off the same main features that were off in the RealVision Performance ENB and reduced all the remaining Quality settings to 2 and got a very acceptable frame rate of mid-40s outside in Helgen and high 50s underground but the card is still working flat out so is still at full heat production so I still get that PCI fan spinning like mad.

I will spend some time later today looking at the remaining differences between the two ENB presets and may have some questions. Firstly I will want to raise the deepest black indoors settings as I find the Escape from Helgen far too dark since at that stage we have no light sources. There were times where I just had to let off Flames to see what was in front of me or where Ralof had gone or a corpse had fallen. I will be looking at the shadow settings specifically to see if I can lighten the workload.

I agree that ENBs are very personal. I found RealVision's lighting indoors to be very flat, specifically the action where Ralof/Hadvar lowers the bridge under Helgen. The light from the candles against the wall looked very flat indeed whereas Unreal Cinema had deeper shadows and a different light colour which made quite a difference. RealVision was more relaxing because the indoor scenes were so well lit but with ELFX I was expecting a darker experience. Unreal Cinema delivers that, but a little too extreme for my taste.

Still, the fiddling is half the fun.

• 4 weeks later...

Project ENB with CoT/RLO has always been the best for me hands down.

That's exactly what I use and I really like them! I also use Supreme Storms, Lightning During Thunderstorms, Climates Of Tamriel - Weather Patch - Fog Rain Overcast, and Morning Fogs. Sometimes I just save the game, then do a "set timescale to 2000" and watch the world and weather and days/nights change around me. :-)