Photo

Know your problem: what is the difference between CTD, freeze and ILS?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 phazer11

phazer11

Chatroom Supervisor

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:50 PM

Load Screens generally only last about 5-10 seconds with my SSD depending on the area I'm going into/out of. There have been a few time where it took ~30 but that is unusual.

#17 sbroadbent

sbroadbent

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:12 AM

I recently discovered that my primary/operating system/games hard drive was a 5400RPM (Western Digital Caviar Green), rather than the 7200RPM drive I thought it was...

I have since upgraded to a 500GB Samsung SSD and attached it to a SATA 3 port, so I expect loading to be a whole lot faster.

#18 Thenatural

Thenatural

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 01:38 PM

To add to some of the discussion here regarding pointing out what your actual problem is/could be:

In some cases, a freeze or a crash can just be that: a freeze or crash. Not everything is a symptom. 

Example: I was having ILS issues that were relatively consistent. Then, I was running at night fighting several enemies at night, and minty's lightning mod struck a mudcrab with a lightning bolt right as a dragon was landing in front of me, and the game froze. 

I immediately flipped out and spent the next two days not playing and tried to figure out what could be causing both things. Turns out, I had just misplaced my SKSE.ini and the freeze was because I didn't spend the .002 seconds reading the first few lines of the lightning mod. 

My problem was ILS, the freezing was not a symptom of that, yet I wasted countless hours reading and posting about it trying to find a solution that encompassed both of my perceived symptoms. It would be like trying to diagnose a bronchial infection but ignoring all of the solutions that don't include your shoulder pain from throwing a football. 

#19 MartineV

MartineV

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:43 PM

You forgot an important causes of game freezes.  An incorrectly configured memory patch.  As you know the game will freeze once it uses up it's first block of 256 MB.  STEP instructions incorporate the fix for that.  In my case it was incorrectly set up.  Using the memory log eventually revealed that.

#20 Shinobus

Shinobus

Prisoner

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 12:14 PM

Hey good people!  Here's one for you (riddle me this lol) I cannot find any help with this on the web.  I have started a new game, same ini's and mods, just a fresh game and re-install of mods. I started to get stutter,(you can see in FP mode with weapon drawn "phasing" when looking up and down) not affecting my FPS either, most noticeable when looking around or with weapon drawn, and in certain areas interior, but not as prolific outdoors.

So I re-installed Skyrim, still had the problem. So got enb Boost, got the crashFix's, and this fix also. My AMD is set for app, only vsync is enabled outside. I'm very stuck with this, and depressed lol I had a stable game before re-start, I re-started because there were mods I no longer wanted, and didn't want to use a save tool to remove them. Any help would be awesome, I'm not a smart egg (too many bumps to the head lol) So I really appreciate any help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users