ENB 110 Shadow Comparisons

I've been doing some tests with enb shadows

first i tested vanilla shadows quality to see the difference in performance.

medium: 47-48 fps

high: 41-42 fps

ultra: 29 fps

Then i tried enb; even with medium shadows settings the fps dropped to 30.5-31 and after the tweaks in the .ini it went to 24 fps (vs 30 fps) with fshadowdistance=4000.

This seems like an huge fps drops for me. I tried to disable everithing possible in the enbseries.ini but i couldn't get above 39-40 (instead of 46) and the image is exactly the same,because toggling shift + f10 does nothing exept changing the fps.

here is my setup:

-dowloaded enb 0.111, downloaded this and overrited with s4n enbseries.ini.

-used a clean save with a few mods loaded (skyrenolighting, imaginator, proper aiming, autoFP and WATER)

-used default .ini files, exept ballowgrasscreate=0 and fSunUpdateThreshold=20.0 (for screenshot purposes)

-set shadow quality to medium and added s4n tweak settings.

-i7 2630qm

-gt 555m 3gb @default

-1600x900

Well, using s4n tweaks reduced my fps from 41 to 30 so this may be one of the settings i cannot affort with my videocard, the thing that bothers me is that i don't see an improvement in the image quality:

.ini at default, shadows on high, no enb - 40 fps

https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/577/screenshot8kr.png/

tweaked .ini, fshadowdistance=4000, enb - 24 fps

https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/824/screenshot2ab.png/

what do you think?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't noticed any fps drop at all with the improved shadows. I already used ENB with SSAO and DoF before that though, and the performane drop with ENB is 99% from SSAO.

As for the new shadows, they're simply amazing, but everyone seems to be focusing on the landscape shadows (which are also much nicer now) but the HUGE improvement is the shadows on character/NPC faces. It's just an insane difference there.

ivacttheseeker you can't really see the difference in static photos, try walking around and watching the shadows move (particularly on characters), if your not gonna notice that kind of thing while playing just don't worry about it, some of us are just crazy that way.

I already tested it with NPCs and i agreee it looks better. Also, moving around does seem smoother.

Here i wanted to compare the shadows with the vanilla ones because originally i was trying to find the thr fshadowdistance with the best performance/qualty ratio but i stopped due to the performance hit.

@ivactheseeker

I'm not sure what is causing such a huge hit in your FPS, but that doesn't sound right to me. What video card do you have again?

As to the shadows, fShadowDistance will effect the quality of the shadows closest to you. If you want the shadows to look like in my tweaked comparison, drop that value down to 2500 (medium default). If you want distant shadows to be seen more, you're shadows will not be as sharp. No way around that.

@ s4n

I knew how fshadowdistance effects the shadow but i misunderstood and i thought you set it to 4000 to compare the tweaked shadows with the launcher high settings.

my videocard is a gt 555m .It's a laptop gpu, that's why i gave information about my fps drop with default settings so that it was easier to compare the results.

The mobile GPU may have something to do with the FPS drop. Unfortunately I don't have any experience with them.

For the distance, I had initially posted with a higher value, but that was a mistake and I removed it, so that may have been the reason. Those particular screenshots were with fshadowdistance set to 2500.

i would like to report that i was getting a massive FPS drop from this, even more then ivactheseeker reported (from 60 FPS to 20 to 15 back to 30 then to 5 in my test) i preformed a full reboot and reinstall of ENB + sb4n's ini (only used ENB dll and enb ini no filters) and a reinstall of RCRN's "pure" injector, now im getting stable FPS 60 with spikes of 45(fixable by fps limiting), you can see my specs in sig, i used a full STEP install with no other mods to test this, highest texture set available for mods that have different qualities in STEP. i think it might have to do with my overclocks not applying or some residual lag from WB(had this happen when i first installed STEP and went to play). hope this helps.

So I found out something fantastic! Perhaps you'll spot it on the stone building in these screens:

No enb use: https://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo351/Spiffyman777/Noenb.png

Using enb: https://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo351/Spiffyman777/enb.png

Notice how I get shadow striping without enb, but it's fixed with the Stoppingby4now's enb?

Now, clearly this isn't definitive, but I was thinking that maybe using enb fixes shadow stiping elsewhere as well. Anyone else had similar experiences?

Boris said while developing the improved shadows that he was trying to fix shadow striping at the same time, so sounds quite likely. I never thought about it more as I've been using the shadow striping fix mod

ENB is starting to become a requirement for my own use anymore. The latest updates have been amazing. According to the forums on his site there will be another update from Boris with a sky fix and other fixes before too long.

So far I'm not overly impressed with RCRN v3... but that is being updated as well. Hopefully between the lighting mods we get something at least semi-stable soon. I actually want to play the game instead of constantly modding... eventually.

Skyrim is 80% trying new mods, 15% searching for mods, 5% actually playing the game.