ENB 110 Shadow Comparisons

I know what you mean Neovalen :D

I haven't actually played a proper game yet. I keep trying mods and searching for new ones. Though, since my game seems uber sensitive to conflicts, I've actually been trying to limit the mods I use. I have about 60 non-step mods now (which is apparently lower than many people) but I'm trying to trim it down.

Anyway, I'm considering using just an enb and not RCRN at all. Even though I like some of the things RCRN does, there are a couple enb configs on the Nexus that look amazing to me (my link in a few posts above for example). I'm still debating that though, since RCRN does do some nice things.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway' date=' I'm considering using just an enb and not RCRN at all. Even though I like some of the things RCRN does, there are a couple enb configs on the Nexus that look amazing to me (my link in a few posts above for example). I'm still debating that though, since RCRN does do some nice things.[/quote']That is actually what I'm testing now. I'm testing True Vision ENB - Ultimate Edition right now. You can't really go off the screenshots because he's included so many options and variants.

I chose Quality Preset - High, Optional "Realistic" Palette, and tweaked his enbseries.ini with the following:

EnableProxyLibrary=false

ForceAnisotropicFiltering=false

EnableDetailedShadow=true

ShadowCastersFix=true

ShadowQualityFix=true

DetailedShadowQuality=-1

UseBilateralShadowFilter=true

Which enables the detail shadows (disabled by default) and removes some options I didn't need.

Looks great so far, just played Embershard mine/Riverwood area for the moment. Only complaint so far is I want to tone down the green on the trees/grass a bit.

I'll probably be tinkering with it for awhile, then adding in weather mods to see what I get out of it. Boris is thinking about trying his hand doing weather mods also inside ENB.

So I found out something fantastic! Perhaps you'll spot it on the stone building in these screens: No enb use: https://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo351/Spiffyman777/Noenb.png

Using enb: https://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo351/Spiffyman777/enb.png

Notice how I get shadow striping without enb, but it's fixed with the Stoppingby4now's enb?

Now, clearly this isn't definitive, but I was thinking that maybe using enb fixes shadow stiping elsewhere as well. Anyone else had similar experiences?

Now that you mention this, I may try More Dynamic Shadows and Striping Fixed again... Just to see what if anything is fixed by ENB shadows.

@Neovalen

I hadn't even noticed that, which probably means it's been cleaning up shadow striping for me as well (didn't have any fix mods installed for it in my testing). Will check that out hopefully when I can.

@Spiffyman

I love Real Rain, it does an awesome job in bringing more realism to rain storms.

I'm also disappointed with RCRN v3. Looking forward to an update. Though I'll qualify with stating that I haven't been actually playing, so I can't evaluate it overall, I just don't like that everything is brighter. I'm getting the same issues reported earlier. I know they are working on brightness issues, so hopefully it will look good once again.

Were I to go the enb-only route' date=' the weather mods I'd use are More Rain (66% vision) More Snow (150% vision) and Real Rain (or the Performance Rain if fps needs help during rain).

I actually found an ENB that is kind of a trip... Skyrim Visual Immersion III. It's made by Matso and I think it's really under-rated. People just take half his ENB(mainly the DOF) for their stuff (granted they give him credit). It's very configurable and he gives a GREAT readme on how to edit enb effects files and they are all commented. It has not been updated yet for 0.111 KAGE but it will be soon. For now I've just adapted it myself by adding in the requisite enbseries.ini changes.

When I first loaded it up during a rainstorm in Whiterun I felt like I started the movie Van Helsing by accident (I subsequently found the nearest vampire den available for fun!). He also makes a very nice sunglare (separate download, just look up his files on the nexus).

Yeah SVI3 is a nice ENB preset, but I hate the "cinematic" windowing, and whilst that's usually easy to find in enbeffect.fx, it wasn't in his version because he coded it differently. That or I was just very tired when I looked at it and discarded it. :P And yeah, he wrote the DoF-code that pretty much everyone uses, but I can't for the life of me understand why people want to play with bokeh DoF for anything other than taking screenshots... I pretty much made it 20x weaker in my own preset

Vond, in enbeffect.fx:

// Matso's Panoramic View (set Your FOV to 90.0 in game for better effect)

#define USE_PANORAMIC_EFFECT 1 // blackens top and bottom of the screen (comment the line to disable)

#define fPanoramicOffset 8.4 // size of screen to be blacken (in %)

Just do as the comment says and viola! No more black bars.

Ah he called it panoramic view, that explains it! No need now anyway as this was long ago before I started working on my own preset, and I'm very happy with the way I set up my DOF now

Well, I've tried a couple of enb, and didn't like how they made everything so colorful. I mean, it looked nice, but I really like the somber look of the normal game. So I think I'll stick with Stoppingby4now's shadow's only enb, and try to add a soft bloom to that. I'd like a subtle DoF but I think that is a performance heavy feature so I'll shy away from it. Do you know how to get a subtle bloom? Just setting bloom to =true doesn't seem to do much of anything for me...

If you're only using the enbseries.ini and not the .fx files (which I assume you are if trying the shadows-only enb) then you can't get bloom as the code for bloom is in enbbloom.fx and enbeffects.fx.

Should I download your enb for RCRN and place the .fx files in the skyrim directory?

Also, is your light dof also light on fps as well? Because I'd like to try yours (regular dof's are very strong, which I don't like to use while playing).