Introduce Yourself!

deathneko11

Crazy Australian Skyrim and New Vegas player here. I also spend some of my spare time playing MMO's like The Secret World.

Have been peeking in for a while and looking at what STEP was up to before I finally decided to join up. Even in the short time I've been here I've learnt a whole ton about mods, modding, making patches, ENB's etc. Good to see such a helpful and friendly bunch around. :)

Edited by Nozzer66

Here, I'm a modder. I've been creating mods for Skyrim since before the Creation Kit. We were using TESsnip then. The first mods I released, Let It All Out - More Heroic Shouts and I Put A Spell On You - More Enchanting Options, had more than 50,000 downloads, which pales in comparison to the numbers we see today but I think that was pretty good for the pre-CK days. I've also created mods for Dragon Age: Origins, The Witcher 2, and one of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games. And probably other games, too, but I don't really remember.

Greetings Everyone,

I spotted the new entries in this post and, since I finally put up a photo, figured I ought to say hello.

Hello!

Yes ... um ... well I can get a bit pedantic. Pardon. (yes it's an oxymoron but it sounds more polite so ...)

Back in the 80's I found some games on the main frame and wasted the intro-class to college playing adventure. I had fun anyway. Then, inspite of having a computer and an internet connection, I really didn't play much of anything. I used the computer for office work, except Tetris when I was working lab support at the CC; never had a really good game because people kept asking for help. Imagine! I tried sims/turn-based games which would fascinate for a couple of weeks, but I'd drop them for months or years. Then one day I tried Morrowind. I want to live there. Really.

Beyond games I am a hermit, read, watch movies, have pets, have had them all my life. Several different kinds of pets, even briefly fostered some ferrets. Currently I'm down to 3 cats, unless you count the wildlife. It is amazing out there! Yesterday I was visited by a committee of at least 10 (that's a resting group of vultures). The tree in my photo is in my backyard though the old thing is nearly gone now. I take pictures but don't consider myself a photographer. I am not, as you can tell, a great conversationalist. My best conversations are with myself or my third Waldi, he was a dachshund and died almost 20 years ago but a more attentive friend you'll never see. I love music but it effects me too much. I can only listen to one Kurt Weil or three Johnny Cash songs or I'll get depressed. To have it in the background is not distracting so much as it comes to direct my responses. Syncopated jazz can make me angry. So I need to turn the muic off for 10, 15 minutes at a time when I'm playing. Turning of the music improves my play. This makes me sad. Ah well. It does save the keyboard or the mouse from some abuse at least.

There. I'm pretty sure I've prattled on too long so it's enough. (<-- my idea of humor)

But I cannot sign off without thanking all of you who contribute to STEP. Your work is of a fine quality and your generosity is staggering. Thank you.

Hi, I'm skaryzgik, I'm one of those weird people who is interested enough in Lojban to make up my internet-name in that language. Those of you who recognize my avatar will notice I am also a Discordian. If you're trying to pronounce "skaryzgik", it's approximately "SCAR-uh-zgeek". (emphasis on first of three syllables. First syllable "scar" like where you got hurt. Second syllable "uh" like "uh.... what's going on now?" and third syllable like "geek" like nerd but with a z in front of it.) Probably the hardest part (at least for English speakers) is making the "zg" combination work. The name means approximately "Color Music" and to me is a symbol of balance. I used to make up characters for things and name them "Chroma" to allude to "chromatic" as referring both to having lots of colors and as having all of the notes in music. "skaryzgik" is meant as a similar balance-concept.

I don't so much not want to tell you my RL name, so much as I feel like my internet-name is an opportunity to be more me than I am IRL. I am one of my favorite topics to talk about, especially with respect to how I think. You may ask me anything you like, but be careful, I may answer you.

I tend to be a bit long-winded and overly-precise, and am never sure whether the level of detail I am trying to include is what the audience actually wants to see. If I am being annoying, please feel free to let me know so that I can adjust accordingly.

My first trip to Tamriel was playing Morrowind in about fall of 2008 if I remember correctly, using GCD and also some mods my then-boyfriend (now-fiance) made just tinkering but didn't actually publish anywhere. Due to my alt-itis it was a long time before I finally finished the main quest. I think my favorite thing about Morrowind other than the setting is the many factions you can join, and the stuff you get to do in them. When I tried to play Oblivion, I wasn't expecting something that felt so "normal" (as opposed to how "alien" Morrowind felt) and couldn't stand it much. I tried playing Morrowind again a couple days ago, but without GCD the decision-paralysis of trying to even pick a class was too much, so I'll have to at least install that (or similar) before I can really play it again. I'm interested in both the openmw project as well as SkyWind, but openmw needs people who know more programming than me, and SkyWind looks... insufficiently well organized to make well-defined progress in the near future. I think as far as Morrowind, at the moment I'll mod the one I've got and go from there, and for Skyrim, I think STEP is the right place for me. :-) Especially with these "Packs" we're getting now.

Speaking of Packs, (this paragraph is a bit OT but it is unclear quite where to ask for this bit of clarification) I notice people signing up to do specific ones. After reading the mandate about how Packs work, it looked like someone could go "well, I do like that stealth pack, but I prefer to use this setup to accomplish similar goals, so here is another stealth pack which is different" or "I very much like these packs, here are the ones I use in combination and a couple things I did to make them work smoothly together that you might not need if you were just using one or the other" and make their own sort of home-brew packs and share them as well. This does not appear to be occurring much yet, but I am not sure if it is just because no one has done it yet, or if it is currently a bit more restricted while we're still starting to get things going but then will open up more, or if it is a bit more restricted and is intending to stay that way so that it will be "Here is *the* stealth pack, and here is *the* magic pack and here is *the* survival pack..."

Anyway, reading the site it looks like this is a very good project, and I am excited about where it is headed, and I would like to become useful to it. But my "projects" I do myself tend to turn out like many of my characters: really exciting at first, till I see some other shiny thing and forget, and don't always remember to come back. So I want to try a few small things to make sure my attention will stick before committing to something only to end up being one of those that signs up but never does anything.

Hey skaryzgik, welcome! So, about packs, it depends entirely on the user to use every mod installed in a pack or not, use whatever fits your style, mish mash everything that suits your fancy, in my (albeit, limited) experience with these packs, REGS core files are excellent additions to the game but I have yet to use any of the quest related mods it advocates. And I use HLE and Duel but didn't know about other mods that enhance the combat experience of the game. Hope you stick around!

Here, I'm a modder. I've been creating mods for Skyrim since before the Creation Kit. We were using TESsnip then. The first mods I released, Let It All Out - More Heroic Shouts and I Put A Spell On You - More Enchanting Options, had more than 50,000 downloads, which pales in comparison to the numbers we see today but I think that was pretty good for the pre-CK days. I've also created mods for Dragon Age: Origins, The Witcher 2, and one of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games. And probably other games, too, but I don't really remember.

Welcome to STEP. Modders can get a Mod Author badge here on the forums. All you need to do is send a PM from your Nexus account to z929669 to verify. It also opens up a mod author sub forum that only other mod authors and site staff can see.

Hi everybody, I'm posting here a bit late considering I didn't see there was an introduction thread, but better late than never I suppose :p

I enjoy reading all the information and advice that the STEP guides and the STEP forum users provide, so I felt that maybe I could hopefully contribute a little something too, and I registered. You guys don't seem to have that many users active here compared to all the stuff you're providing the community with, which is a shame.

Edited by crime_syndicate

:)  Hello guys, didn't realize there was this thread.  

Personal History:  I live in Hong Kong, was bought up in Melbourne, Australia.  I am very active on boardgamegeek as well, where I was voted geek of the week once.  I am a wargame/boardgame collector with well more than the official world record amount.   You can get a more detail about me here:  https://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/Garfink

Quick Gaming History:  Started on the C64, favorite game was Wasteland, then moved on to the Amiga for years and years, the best computer ever!  First Elder Scroll was Daggerfall which I never finished, buggy as hell but love the concept of random dungeons.  Played and modded Morrowind and Oblivion, finished both's main questline but none of the expansions.  I remember having CTD issues big time with both!

Quick Skyrim History:  got game on 11/11/11, played for a day and decided to wait a year before playing again, so there are mods for the darn thing and for Bethesda to fix things.  1 year later, modded the game to CTD heaven.  Gave up, waited another year, made a concerted effort to fight CTDs.  Rage quit for 3 months, stumbled onto the Memory fix.  Now I am back with a vengeance now that I have an Elder Scroll game that is relatively stable.  

What I am doing now:  With 3 years of mods to pick from and an active community and with people making the game look great, I am hoping to help make a pack that will make Skyrim play great.  Here is the thread where I am documenting my changes and the evolution of the mod:  https://forum.step-project.com/topic/4762-new-gameplay-overhaul-pack/ 

Doing lots of playtesting and balancing and even a touch of compatibility mod creating, its been a blast.  I have discovered some very old and very show-stopping incompatibilities in ASIS that has been fixed.  Very close to finishing the play-balance to a state where I think it can be call Version 1.00, just need a bit more spit and polish and lots of help from dreadflopp and nicopad.  The scope of the project is pretty huge, its now an overhaul of the whole game using the great mods already released.  But our overhaul is fairly modular and allows people to plug-n-play parts of it if they want.  

I am loving this forum, with its dedicated community that takes all this modding so seriously.  The selflessness of all the contributors humbles me.  You guys are awesome!

Edited by Garfink

Hello! I just realized now that there is an introduction thread and I though it was time to thank the people of this community for all the work they have done so far. I have been following this community for two years now, and thanks to that i have learned a lot about modding bethesda games.

I generally don't post much, mainly because i am italian and not very good at english (i understand it well, but when it comes to put some words one after another things get tricky and it require a lot of time for me to make posts). But some times i make ninja-posts when i know how to help (or i need help xD) and i have the right words ready.

Thanks everyone. We are glad you like the community and that you all participate to make it work. STEP is the summation of its parts, which all are pretty good if you ask me ;)

@skaryzgik

Discordian seems like Douglas Adams :yes: Also, Packs are our first attempt to create a guide template for our users so that anybody can create and share a STEP-based guide. It is pretty loose, so there are few restrictions. Our goal is to get the community involved in creating these Pack guides however they choose. The best ones will be referenced by the STEP Guide starting with STEP 2.3.0 ... IF there are any that are polished enough. We don't have any 'rules', as we don't want to hamper creativity; however, the STEP Guide will only be connected to Packs that 'work' with STEP:Core. Our STEP:Extended official Pack will be one possible example of an articulate-able Pack guide. There are a couple out there now that are complete enough to be linked to the main guide (not saying which ones yet, as I have not installed any or them personally ... too much other stuff to do)

Nice to read about fellow gamers old enough to remember C64 and Amiga. Started with C64 myself. My nick is an old joke from the mid 90’s where me and my geek friends gave each other aliases. Mine was dreadflopp cause I had dreadlocks and liked floppy disks. Used it as my first hotmail and been using it since, mainly cause its always free wherever you want to register. My avatar is from one of my favourite authors, H P Lovecraft.

Been playing Skyrim, oblivion and morrowind on and off for a long time and it's a love/hate relationship. I love the community and how you can mod the game but hate the buggy engine and the poor writing. Really a fan of bioware games though since baldurs gate. But skyrim is the only thing I have play atm.

Other than gaming I'm a BIG music nerd and listen to alternative, independent and mainstream rock, pop, electronica, punk, hip hop, metal, spoken word and industrial.

Been using STEP a long time, since it was just a PDF and didn't have any official forums. But not posting in the introduce yourself thread until now, which is a little weird...

Edited by dreadflopp

• 3 months later...