Forum Performance Issues

Bealdwine

Question

Ah first to post, virgin territory :D

Just a quick note about an issue I get on the site.

Because I tend to use the 'View New Posts' option to go directly to new content the site doesn't recognise that I don't need to be alerted to new activity in the 'containing' fora so the icons for these are still yellow if I go into the forum manually == confusing :?

Eg. I use View New Posts to go to the latest chat in '[REL] Skyrim Unplugged' but once I finish if I go into the main forum the icons are telling me there is unread content in /Mods, the Universe & Everything and then /Specific Mods as well. As you plan to use layers of sub-fora for organisation this is going to recur quite often.

Just a small glitch but might be fixable? :yes:

• Answers 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Ok worked out that it is F12 to debug and on Script tab after debugging (may not be complete debug) it found these 2 errors. I tried pasting in all the script code but it crashed IE as over 6000 lines.

Couldn't copy text so am pasting in link to images of errors and lines and surrounding lines

https://img207.imageshack.us/img207/5561/capturepx.png

https://img192.imageshack.us/img192/7296/1822o.png

https://img824.imageshack.us/img824/428/5574.png

I "think" I found what is causing the problem and made a change, but it's only speculation. I wish I had a machine with IE8 to test it in.

From what I can tell, IE8 is throwing a fit due to some cookie code that was added using jQuery, which conflicts with the prototype library (though it's loaded after and takes precedence). I've added a noConflict statement which should make this work in IE8.

One thing you can check to see if this is directly the case, is go to a post and click on the "MULTI" button. It should change color to indicate that you have selected it. If it doesn't, it is the cookie code that it is having a problem with. If it does hilight, then go to the bottom and look at the Quick Reply box. It should have a red footer with a messaging stating that you have multiple quotes available, or you can deselect them. If all of the above work, you can safely ignore the error messages that popup.

When you get the error message, there should be a checkbox to allow you to ignore the message from now on, unless your work place disables it. Ignoring the message if the above are true should cause no loss in functionality, but just get rid of an annoying message. If that isn't an option, I'm going to have to find some way of being able to run IE8 to more effectively come up with a workaround/fix, as at this point it is a case of IE8 throwing unwarranted tantrums.

If the the multi-quoting doesn't work and you are still getting the messages, I'm going to have to see about somehow getting a working IE8 that I can use in a VM or otherwise so I can better debug this.

Didn't even realize it, but turns out IE9 allows you to choose the browser mode in the debugger. So I'm seeing the errors that you are getting now, and it appears to be tied to the WYSIWYG editor. When I test without that installed, I don't get any errors. It could take a long time to get that sorted and prevent the errors in the first place, but I have been able to use the editor still in IE8 mode. If you have the option to check a checkbox titled "Do not show this message again", go ahead and check that and you should be ok.

I also received the error irregardless of forum theme.

Just a note on the WYSIWYG editor - in IE9 I can use it perfectly well but when I preview post my [return/new line]s are missing (and it has switched back to the old editor). If I then use the old editor to reinsert the [return/new line]s they show correctly in preview and when posted. Not really an issue for me but thought you might want to know.

Using the STEP Blue theme if that matters.

Just a note on the WYSIWYG editor - in IE9 I can use it perfectly well but when I preview post my [return/new line]s are missing (and it has switched back to the old editor). If I then use the old editor to reinsert the [return/new line]s they show correctly in preview and when posted. Not really an issue for me but thought you might want to know.

Using the STEP Blue theme if that matters.

That happens to me in Firefox as well. I don't think it's hooking the preview page correctly, or at all, but will take a look.

yes multi button works and text appears under quick reply box, although it is light blue on a light grey background so cant catually read it unless I highlight it.

No checkbox to ignore error message.

Guess I'll just sart using firefox at work (have it installed but dont use it as most of our work applications dont work properly in firefox).

I found an 'experimental' setting in the AdminCP that likely came with the update to 1.6.7:

Forum Display Options > Attempt to Mark Parent Forums as Read

My guess is that it is a clunky sort of a band-aid the MyBB team developed. It seems to have solved the problem