Forum Performance Issues

Bealdwine

Question

Ah first to post, virgin territory :D

Just a quick note about an issue I get on the site.

Because I tend to use the 'View New Posts' option to go directly to new content the site doesn't recognise that I don't need to be alerted to new activity in the 'containing' fora so the icons for these are still yellow if I go into the forum manually == confusing :?

Eg. I use View New Posts to go to the latest chat in '[REL] Skyrim Unplugged' but once I finish if I go into the main forum the icons are telling me there is unread content in /Mods, the Universe & Everything and then /Specific Mods as well. As you plan to use layers of sub-fora for organisation this is going to recur quite often.

Just a small glitch but might be fixable? :yes:

• Answers 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Not sure if this is the right place or if it's been brought to your attention already, but the emails I'm getting from the forums have links without the domain/subdomain info in them, i.e.

/member.php?action=activate (just by itself)

I can figure out where to copy paste stuff like that, but if it's not just my Gmail being funky, might want to look into it :)

I have a confession to make. I never read the "STEP Community Mod  Posting Guidelines" because I thought they wouldn't be any different than any other site. When I noticed the header or whatever underneath ,the " Mantra" That caught my attention and after reading it I wished I had read it sooner. Maybe do away with the term guideline and just call "S.T.E.P. Community Mantra" People (like me) might pay closer attention to it. Every website forum has the same posting guidelines people will just skip over it. 

I have a confession to make. I never read the "STEP Community Mod  Posting Guidelines" because I thought they wouldn't be any different than any other site. When I noticed the header or whatever underneath ' date='the " Mantra" That caught my attention and after reading it I wished I had read it sooner. Maybe do away with the term guideline and just call "S.T.E.P. Community Mantra" People (like me) might pay closer attention to it. Every website forum has the same posting guidelines people will just skip over it. [/quote']

Good idea.  Those need an overhaul as well, I'll add it to the list.

I have a confession to make. I never read the "STEP Community Mod  Posting Guidelines" because I thought they wouldn't be any different than any other site. When I noticed the header or whatever underneath ' date='the " Mantra" That caught my attention and after reading it I wished I had read it sooner. Maybe do away with the term guideline and just call "S.T.E.P. Community Mantra" People (like me) might pay closer attention to it. Every website forum has the same posting guidelines people will just skip over it. [/quote']

I read it O.o. I have to disagree, because the bolded sections really stand out so it's hard to miss. Like "What STEP is about" and "What STEP isn't about"

It's plastered all over the wiki too.

Edit: But, I do see a lot of people quoting directly from Nexus, so it's apparent that not everyone reads the rules.

As I said, I only saw it for a couple minutes before my VPN dropped, and I posted the above comment a couple minutes after that from my phone. This might be a topic for the admin boards, but is this something we can control or does it mostly depend on the host?