Forum Performance Issues

Bealdwine

Question

Ah first to post, virgin territory :D

Just a quick note about an issue I get on the site.

Because I tend to use the 'View New Posts' option to go directly to new content the site doesn't recognise that I don't need to be alerted to new activity in the 'containing' fora so the icons for these are still yellow if I go into the forum manually == confusing :?

Eg. I use View New Posts to go to the latest chat in '[REL] Skyrim Unplugged' but once I finish if I go into the main forum the icons are telling me there is unread content in /Mods, the Universe & Everything and then /Specific Mods as well. As you plan to use layers of sub-fora for organisation this is going to recur quite often.

Just a small glitch but might be fixable? :yes:

• Answers 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Well first we would have to know what browser and the version of said browser to be able to tell if there was an underlying cause browser support wise since none of the browsers can seem to stick to standards, let alone the same ones.

I use Firefox, but it seems unrelated to version (I always keep it updated, and currently it's... 29.0.something I believe).

I also believe this problem has been present ever since the new forum was launched.

Edited by Octopuss

Oh this. That's all the files the browser saves for future use, basically "cache". I don't think that's supposed to help with slow scrolling?...

I thought there was a feature that cleans what Firefox currently has saved in memory.

Oh is that where it is in normal firefox? Last time I used normal firefox I could have sworn I saw it in the tools menu like in Cyberfox; where it is in fact under the tools menu.

@Octo no cache isn't generally cleaned until the browser is closed and then in most cases only partially; especially if you have your browser set to remember your tabs. Unless you're using "private" browsing, and even then I'm sure it doesn't remove everything.

I don't have that issue with Cyberfox, in fact, I have about 20 video tabs buffered in one window and 8 windows of ~50 tabs apiece and don't get this issue often enough and this is just on my laptop with 8gb of RAM. Comparitively if I tried to do the same with a chrome based browser I would probably send my computer into death throes from which it would never recover, it's 64-bit and my I guess I have too many tabs open since it's using 5.5GB of RAM and it's still faster than Chrome. Plus there's an easy to use portable version.

Still if it is a firefox issue I would have expected more complaints.