Proper way to limit FPS in Skyrim

Neovalen

Question

• Answers 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Now you can remove CCC and use this great tool. Use the Refresh Lock to limit FPS variably at any resolution. ... and a LOT more!

Linked to this to my brother who uses an ATI card and he tried it out, and doing this only limits the refresh rate, not the fps at all. FPS would still go crazy high on startmenu etc while it shouldn't go over the locked value if properly fps-locked, any ideas?

Now you can remove CCC and use this great tool. Use the Refresh Lock to limit FPS variably at any resolution. ... and a LOT more!

Linked to this to my brother who uses an ATI card and he tried it out, and doing this only limits the refresh rate, not the fps at all. FPS would still go crazy high on startmenu etc while it shouldn't go over the locked value if properly fps-locked, any ideas?

If V-sync is enabled, then likewise should your FPS be. Your bother maybe does not have v-sync enabled?

If V-sync is enabled, then likewise should your FPS be. Your bother maybe does not have v-sync enabled?

He plays in windowed-mode, so nope. He just wanted to use this to lock the FPS at 30-35ish, same as I can do via NVIDIA Inspector.

Edit: Went over to his place now to help him out etc as he lives nearby, and since installing this he has apparently just crashed over and over and over when trying to start Skyrim, even with V-Sync enabled. He cant even get the startmenu to open. He didnt uninstall CCC apparently, is that required?

Still trying to sort this for my brother as since he followed the post by z-man the game just refuses to start. It crashes on load every time (apparently he never managed to start it at all, what I posted earlier about it not locking fps was what he had read about using the refresh-lock function). We even uninstalled ATI Tray now but it still refuses to load. Nothing besides installing (and now uninstalling) the ATI Tray+extra files and signing drivers etc has been done since it last worked. Any ideas would be welcome!

We did reinstall ATI Catalyst 12.4 after uninstalling tray tools. He didnt have any other games installed (fresh win7 install) but we're sorting that atm to try it out eventually. He did have ATI Tray Tools installed before this without problems, the issue only started after he added those files you linked and followed the instructions. When trying to launch the game now it takes a LONG time before anything happens at all, then a small window pops and just disappears and the executable has closed/crashed.

Are there any specific uninstallation instructions for the package you provided?

No, and there should not be any issue with the procedure or the changes either. If he ran the dsao app, then reverting that is simple. then delete the dll placed in the two sys directories, remove/reinstall CCC and you are back to the starting line.

No issues at all on my end under Win7.

Perhaps something else was altered relating to Skyrim?

I would install Tray tools again and run diagnostics/benchmarks on the GPU (or use dxdiag). this will tell you if it is a graphics issue or a Skyrim issue.

Reinstalled tray tools and checked in dxdiag which shows that everything should be working. Could launch the CK and the renderer and everything would work. Have verified Skyrim file cache (and deleted some files to re-verify them just incase), made sure everything is proper with SKSE install, deleted and remade Skyrim.ini / SkyrimPrefs.ini etc and nothing works. Nothing at all having to do with the Skyrim files were changed from when it worked though (which was just moments before installing the tray tool update package), just damn odd. Trying to delete Skyrim.esm aswell now to reverify that one, but it didnt look corrupt and could be loaded in the CK so sounds unlikely, but its worth a shot I suppose :)

If the issue persists without Tray Tools running tin the background, then there is obviously not a problem with that app. If you can open CCC and that behaves properly as well as 3D rendering from that app (and any other app you might have... install GPU-z and try running the bechmark in full screen mode maybe to be certain that this is not an issue with 3D rendering per se).

Next, you might try executing the following at an elevated prompt:

sfc /scannow

After that, try complete Steam/Skyrim/ATI uninstall/reinstall (and I mean COMPLETE).

After THAT, try system restore.

After THAT, backup all files to external drive, unconditional format C: and completely reinstall windows and all drivers (e.g., Intel chipset drivers often are a PITA to install completely. you have to do a manual process by first installing using the -overall switch THEN manually installing from device manager > system each Intel devise, pointing to the extract path of the chipset drivers)

here is a start

Thanks again for the troubleshooting help. :) The sfc /scannow command showed no errors whatsoever. Doing complete reinstall of Skyrim etc now. Noticed that the game crashes whilst trying to create the RendererInfo.txt file in My Games\Skyrim, or atleast it goes from not being there at all to creating an empty file just as the game crashes. Will grab GPU-z for him aswell now so we can trh that aswell etc

Finally got it working after we noticed you had linked your uninstall/install ATI drivers reference to the wiki and ran that batch-file in safe mode. After doing that and reinstalling, everything works, so it turns out it was indeed the tray tools that messed up things somehow :) Just glad its over now though and that we never got around to uninstalling all mods etc!

Finally got it working after we noticed you had linked your uninstall/install ATI drivers reference to the wiki and ran that batch-file in safe mode. After doing that and reinstalling, everything works, so it turns out it was indeed the tray tools that messed up things somehow :) Just glad its over now though and that we never got around to uninstalling all mods etc!

Hmmm, still not convinced what caused this... only that it is related to ATI graphics. Did your brother uninstall anything ATI-related after installing Tray Tools and before confirming Skyrim would boot?

In other words, is there any direct evidence that Tray Tools was the culprit and not something related to a driver installation issue?

Did he sign the sys files?

Just want to try to sort this out in case it happens to somebody else ;)

Hmmm, still not convinced what caused this... only that it is related to ATI graphics. Did your brother uninstall anything ATI-related after installing Tray Tools and before confirming Skyrim would boot?

In other words, is there any direct evidence that Tray Tools was the culprit and not something related to a driver installation issue?

Did he sign the sys files?

Just want to try to sort this out in case it happens to somebody else ;)

He touched nothing at all with the ATI install before trying to boot Skyrim 30+ times, rebooting computer, running registry cleaners etc etc, so it was 99.9% sure that. :) Maybe the changes in those files doesn't work with all ATI cards? His is pretty old as he's still waiting on getting his "real" card back.

He did sign the sys files, and even did it once more once I got over there just because I pestered him about it :P