Fallout 4?

I'm wondering whether this will start a series of fake announcements of new games and nobody will ever believe a game announcement anymore before they actually finished the complete game trying to find out, whether it was the real game they bought or just a fake ;-)

• 1 year later...

Reviving this old thread: https://www.idigitaltimes.com/fallout-4-release-news-bethesda-e3-lineup-includes-unannounced-xbox-360-and-ps3-438414

I'm very curious what engine they used for the game. We desperately need something better than what Skyrim was build on. There are too many limitations with it. However, most rumors claim they are using an updated Creation Engine (hopefully they've fixes some things).

• 4 weeks later...

I prefer the scifi-ish worlds more than the fantasy so I'm looking forward to the next Fallout. I'm not a big fan of the dismemberment and body explosions of the series though. Fortunately there are usually mods that eventually take care of that.

They are almost forced to rebuild the engine from scratch due to current gen tech for consoles. At the very least it has to be 64-bit since both PS4 and Xbone are now x64 chipsets. Plus, the games could actually be full DX11 instead of a DX9 games with some hacky DX10 stuff added to it. 

Bethesda seems to be adding an extra year for every dev cycle now. Two years from TES4 to FO3 and three years from FO3 to TES5, now it's been four years. Maybe the extra year means a new motor.

If I could have one thing besides a 64-bit game it would a bigger map, so that means they have to rebuild the way the cells are done because the current limit is 128x128 since there is a bug. That limits the games to about 40km^2. I'd like to see a nice spread out game with huge sections of wilderness between towns. Also, an actually city, like a big ass city with over 1000 NPCs in it. Like Solitude+Whiterun+Riften type of thing.

While the games look much prettier nowadays, combat intelligence, well all adaptive behaviour routines are still abysmal. If I could wish for one thing, it'd be a challenge.

Added:

Yeah, I do realize that games sometimes provide a fun challenge; Mass Effect 2, e.g. (since we are in SF territory here, I dare mention it), was quite difficult in a good way on its Insanity level (at least for a while).

But I can't think of any RPG that was difficult without being tedious.

Edited by thommaal