MO for Oblivion TES4LODGen memory use issues

Luinithil

Question

Installing mods for Oblivion through MO, I encountered an issue where TES4LODGen (needed to run Really AEVWD, which is an object LOD mod) consistently runs out of memory when generating LOD files. Memory use as reported by Task Manager in Windows 7 shows the memory use balloons up to > 30000000 K, at which point LODGen usually fails. Nothing was significantly changed in my mod setup between Wrye Bash and MO except the addition of a few house mods, which AFAIK should not have added many (if any) LOD items to be generated.

If I run LODGen through MO with only the official plugins and a small handful of mods, the LOD files are successfully generated; however at some point it starts choking on lack of memory. I have 8GB of RAM on my laptop, and an i7 CPU and frankly I don't see why this should even be an issue. I've found no solution to this problem, since it doesn't seem to be any particular mod I've installed and thus have had to switch back to using Wrye Bash for the time being since installation and behaviour overall seem to work better with Oblivion. I would also note that when I've run TESLODGen after installing mods in Wrye Bash, all LOD files are generated with no problems and in less than 5 minutes, and RAM usage for LODGen never breaks 500 - 600K. I'm not sure what's going on here, since LODGen is a 32-bit app.

In the absence of anything else, I am wondering if the absence of correct archive invalidation settings might be at fault (see my other thread on the subject in this subforum) ? I'll admit this is reaching, but it was already at the point where Oblivion simply wouldn't start but crashed before the main menu. So I decided to head back to Wrye Bash.

This is highly frustrating, because I'd had 90% of my install already configured in MO--INI tweaks and such. In any case I am planning on trying to migrate to MO again, just not quite so soon as I've only just managed to get my Wrye Bash install done.

I haven't noticed a substantial increase in time for SkyProc patchers that couldn't be attributable to the 2% delay in the creation of the VFS.

If a program launched by Mod Organizer deletes and then makes a file with the exact same name within 5 seconds, MO will redirect the file back to where it was deleted from rather than placing it in overwrite.

I don't believe in general MO weirdnesses. It may indeed be a bug. It may not be a bug. I don't know. I'm not an application developer.

hmm... so optimization issue then. I've use VFS before but they didn't do this but it didn't work with thousands of tiny files being written.

As for Skyproc, I've used AV and Reproccer and I remember them taking a few to finish but never 20 min... But that is a side note.

Well, I guess its documented. So if some looks it up later they'll find this. I guess I'll have to go back to wryebash....

There is an easy fix for this "running out of memory" issue, if TES4LODGen.exe is used through MO 1.2.11 (no real need to wait for MO 1.3.0).

- Get the latest version of xEdit here (as or writing this post it's version 3.0.33 svn1808)
- Rename TES5Edit.exe to TES4LODGen.exe
- Add TES4LODGen.exe as an executable in MO 1.2.11
- Define a new output folder, that is not within MO's original folder

The last point can be achieved through using the following argument:

-O:

More Information

So, if you add the argument "-O:C:\Games\Generated_DistantLOD"  (without "") .. all the new .lod files will be generated there.

If you did install RAEVWD and run TES4LODGen.exe this way through MO afterwards, the approximately 10000 files will be generated in less than 30 seconds. Add those newly created .lod files as a new mod in MO .. and you're done.

Edited by pStyl3

It was implemented in an unofficial 1.2.10

The problem was that after every file that MO wrote it would leave the RAM allocated and didn't release it.

For a full LO it takes me about 2 minutes...

Before the fix it took over 30min and then crahsed because memory went up above 3.9 GB

I choose not to use MO for this and several reasons that MO just couldn't and probably wont do anytime soon