Photo

A comprehensive database of all STEP Mods?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MilesTeg

MilesTeg

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 02:22 AM

Hi there!

I'm helping out with the new Automated Mod Installer beta from mothergoose729. Basically I just create config files that give the tool all STEP core mod archive filenames.

While I'm doing this I also try to collect some more metadata about the mods:
1) filenames of relevant main / optional mod archives
2) corresponding file titles in nexus
(those could come in handy for a better user experience of STEP)

I also use this (pls use with caution!) massive wiki query for all core mod infos that are already available as structured data.

Would be nice if you could point me to more info sources (or other wiki queries, missing properties)

For anyone interested in helping out on the project long term ...

... see this page for a more elegant method to get at the relevant data. Also, you can look at properties and categories near the top under "List of Pages" section on the Special Pages page. This basically gives you all of the input for query results. Here are other examples of manual querying of Semantic data. (be sure to 'edit' these pages to see how they are populated).

Regarding mod data on STEP wiki, that was populated originally using a tool created by Tannin to extract mod info using the Nexus API. Now we simply ask mod page creators to populate the info, as much of what we track are different attributes from those used by Nexus or altogether missing on the Nexus.

The most important aspects of STEP maintenance are upkeep of Mod/Pack attributes. These are unique to our site and they allow lots of added functionality. Don't depend on the Nexus metadata, as that is flawed and very limited in many ways. Favor the STEP metadata whenever it is available, cross-referencing with Nexus in the few places the data overlap (e.g., Nexus ID, mod name). STEP metadata must be created and maintained organically, and that is a shared community responsibility that will happen naturally with regard to mods that are included within STEP or Packs.

Here are our notes on Mod/Pack/Guide attributes that are/may/will be implemented. Maintaining this data wherever relevant should provide needed information. SMW also allows movement of data via API to external programs. Also, all programmers should read this.

~ z

#2 mothergoose729

mothergoose729

Thane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 02:54 AM

Hm, I would look into the nexus client and the info in downloads from the main site. It was something I planned to look at when I had time myself. I know at a minimuim the nexus keeps track of mod revisions and the download source. This information is not always reliable (mostly because of improper updates by the authors I think) but its probably the best source there is. As an aside, that information could be used to automatically updste portions of a "live config" if you will. Sorry I can't be more specific. Will be interested to see what you turn up.

#3 MilesTeg

MilesTeg

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:00 AM

no problem, just wanted to make sure I won't headstart in s.th. already done by others :) I will probably copy the file title by hand from NMM / nexus website. The filenames are easy (using a simple script) once I've dl them all btw is it currently the common procedure in MO to adjust every wrong-packaged file by hand? Still seems to be tedious work even from within MO....

#4 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,247 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:50 PM

Hi there!

I'm helping out with the new Automated Mod Installer beta from mothergoose729. Basically I just create config files that give the tool all STEP core mod archive filenames.

While I'm doing this I also try to collect some more metadata about the mods:
1) filenames of relevant main / optional mod archives
2) corresponding file titles in nexus
(those could come in handy for a better user experience of STEP)

I also use this (pls use with caution!) massive wiki query for all core mod infos that are already available as structured data.

Would be nice if you could point me to more info sources (or other wiki queries, missing properties)

Glad to see someone using the wiki ;) ... see this page for a more elegant method to get at the relevant data. Also, you can look at properties and categories near the top under "List of Pages" section on the Special Pages page. This basically gives you all of the input for query results. Here are other examples of manual querying of Semantic data. (be sure to 'edit' these pages to see how they are populated).

Regarding mod data on STEP wiki, that was populated originally using a tool created by Tannin to extract mod info using the Nexus API. Now we simply ask mod page creators to populate the info, as much of what we track are different attributes from those used by Nexus or altogether missing on the Nexus.

The most important aspects of STEP maintenance are upkeep of Mod/Pack attributes. These are unique to our site and they allow lots of added functionality. Don't depend on the Nexus metadata, as that is flawed and very limited in many ways. Favor the STEP metadata whenever it is available, cross-referencing with Nexus in the few places the data overlap (e.g., Nexus ID, mod name). STEP metadata must be created and maintained organically, and that is a shared community responsibility that will happen naturally with regard to mods that are included within STEP or Packs.

Here are our notes on Mod/Pack/Guide attributes that are/may/will be implemented. Maintaining this data wherever relevant should provide needed information. SMW also allows movement of data via API to external programs. Also, all programmers should read this.

#5 MilesTeg

MilesTeg

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:49 PM

json, nice :) For the SMW STEP Wiki I think whats needed is list of all archive filenames. Those should be updated regularly. While that might be a bit tedious it's ok with the CORE mod files (as they won't change as often). The list also needs the copy commands if the content is not saved in the usual data structure . The tool I will (probably) can then later import the json file (created through the Ask API) and create the config.

#6 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,247 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

json, nice :)

For the SMW STEP Wiki I think whats needed is list of all archive filenames. Those should be updated regularly. While that might be a bit tedious it's ok with the CORE mod files (as they won't change as often). The list also needs the copy commands if the content is not saved in the usual data structure .

The tool I will (probably) can then later import the json file (created through the Ask API) and create the config.

File names can be either entered manually as a mod attribute, or these can be populated using the Nexus API (and in that case, mod full name and any other data element that is common between STEP and Nexus mod pages), since we record the Nexus ID. This should be done as a regular Nexus-source update process that can be run by a bot. We can use Tannin's python script as a start (will need to find that before I can link).

Note that we also have another related process that you should add to your list of dev projects related to semi-automated install. That link should be a modification of elbe's project on the Nexus, which is detailed in the OP of the first of two project threads located in this team forum. Read through the two Semi-Automated STEP threads for background. This may elicit more ideas or even provide useable source code.

I am promoting you to "Developer" so that you can access. (Same goes for anyone else that is interested in contributing to semi-automated installation of Skyrim mod recipes)

#7 Smile44

Smile44

High King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 06:20 PM

Off topic but I can't help noticing a converstaion between an Atreides Bashar and an Ixian Inventor, all we need is an appearance by a specific general of the Butlerian Jihad (Xavier not Vorian) and you have the potential for a peace treaty that spans millennia and most of the known galaxies. Massive Dune fan myself - makes me wonder if I should try better than an anagram of my actual name. Oh well I'm comfortable with it now. Ok I may be a little tired - in the words of the great Ned Seagoon "CARRY ON" (british humor). :)

#8 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • 9,247 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:37 PM

Off topic but I can't help noticing a converstaion between an Atreides Bashar and an Ixian Inventor, all we need is an appearance by a specific general of the Butlerian Jihad (Xavier not Vorian) and you have the potential for a peace treaty that spans millennia and most of the known galaxies.

Massive Dune fan myself - makes me wonder if I should try better than an anagram of my actual name. Oh well I'm comfortable with it now.

Ok I may be a little tired - in the words of the great Ned Seagoon "CARRY ON" (british humor).

:)

Good points ... Teg is one of my favorite characters too ...

Anyway ... This link contains the AHC (credit to elbe) and STEP-transfer Python script (credit to Tannin) containing a method to use the Nexus API to transfer mod attributes into the wiki.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users