16 replies to this topic

#1 MilesTeg

MilesTeg

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:03 AM

Just for my own sake I'm writing down a short summary of all tools used and what they do. Some infos about (possible) milestones and where I think my efforts will be headed: All information has been moved to a wiki page: http://wiki.step-project.com/SASTEP -

#2 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,245 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:42 PM

see this post for more resources to add to the OP.

I can also organize all of the code and notes on the wiki so that we have a centralized devel hub to contain this info ...

#3 MilesTeg

MilesTeg

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:41 AM

I'll setup a github for it. we can collect all scripts/sourcecode within it. feel free to copy/pase/writeup info into the wiki - documentatoin is always good :)

#4 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,245 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:56 AM

OK, sounds good. We will be releasing 2.2.8 sometime very soon, so if anything becomes polished enough to include in the Guide and on the Nexus, let me know. It would be worth incorporating, even if we have to push the release back just a bit. No rush though. Again, thanks to MGoose, MTeg and all others that are posting in support of this idea.

#5 MilesTeg

MilesTeg

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:41 PM

No. Sorry, but the tool is pretty much near alpha. And while it might be possible that there will be a working proof of concept it'll be nowhere near a polished release state! I'll most likely release alpha/beta versions on the forums for testing purposes. So don't worry about the tool right now ;)

#6 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • 9,245 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:08 PM

OK, sounds good

#7 Kelmych

Kelmych

Dragon King

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:18 PM

Do any of the tools listed have issues with using optimized versions of mods? Offhand this would only be an issue if any file CRC (or equivalent) used is based on unoptimized textures.

#8 mothergoose729

mothergoose729

Thane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:48 PM

Do any of the tools listed have issues with using optimized versions of mods? Offhand this would only be an issue if any file CRC (or equivalent) used is based on unoptimized textures.

I am pretty sure that if you change the attributes of file it would be hashed to a different CRC key. 

The person(s) maintaining STEP should keep unoptomized textures as a part of the directories to be emulated by the STEP installer. 

I think adding in automated texture optimizing and resizing for STEP makes a ton of sense. See the post I made in the core mod definition thread. 

#9 Kelmych

Kelmych

Dragon King

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:21 PM

I was going to suggest that any tools should be capable of accepting either unoptimized or already optimized mods vs. only dealing with unoptimized ones. IMO it is better to optimize mods separately from an automated installation, as I mentioned in another thread.

#10 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • 9,245 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:00 AM

I was going to suggest that any tools should be capable of accepting either unoptimized or already optimized mods vs. only dealing with unoptimized ones. IMO it is better to optimize mods separately from an automated installation' date=' as I mentioned in another thread.[/color']

[color=#ffda00]I agree. That should be a manual process and is better addressed at the level of the source mod on the Nexus.

#11 mothergoose729

mothergoose729

Thane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:01 AM

The tool would be able to recreate a file structure from source mods. It doesn't really matter what the files are, so they can be optimized or unoptimized texture, or whatever file. If a file is modified or changed after being installed, then it could become a different file and thus get a new CRC key. This would make it impossible to find the same file in a source mod because it simply wouldn't be there. This is only a problem for the person maintaining STEP. It just means that you can't change the files from a source mod, such as optimizing them, if you intend on including those files in the STEP installation.

#12 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • 9,245 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:22 PM

[quote name=''mothergoose729' pid='59428' dateline='1385625713']The tool would be able to recreate a file structure from source mods. It doesn't really matter what the files are' date=' so they can be optimized or unoptimized texture, or whatever file. If a file is modified or changed after being installed, then it could become a different file and thus get a new CRC key. This would make it impossible to find the same file in a source mod because it simply wouldn't be there. This is only a problem for the person maintaining STEP. It just means that you can't change the files from a source mod, such as optimizing them, if you intend on including those files in the STEP installation.[/quote']
Yep, again, the solution is fixing the source by communicating with the mod authors. We should build a list of authors of STEP:Core mods that need to be contacted, and I will take care of communicating this to evaluate the potential. There won't be many for STEP:Core.

Vanilla can be optimized via the BAT scripts or not at all, as most will be overwritten by SRO optimal if is is used.

#13 mothergoose729

mothergoose729

Thane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:04 PM

Thinking about ini editing that is recommended for STEP. Can STEP provide an ini that will be appropriate for most all systems? A program could be written to edit the users existing ini too, but it would be a bit more complicated.

#14 MilesTeg

MilesTeg

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:08 PM

[quote name=''mothergoose729' pid='59657' dateline='1385769888']Thinking about ini editing that is recommended for STEP. Can STEP provide an ini that will be appropriate for most all systems? A program could be written to edit the users existing ini too' date=' but it would be a bit more complicated.[/quote']
I've coded a nice little ini editing tool.
In Python you can load ini files directly into an object.
The one I've made can read in an ini with custom settings and will change the original ini accordingly.

It works, but there isn't any exception handling/interface etc.

#15 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • 9,245 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:37 PM

I'd like to define a comprehensive "Baseline" INI akin to the vanilla defaults. Something that covers only the deviations from all of the vanilla presets (sort of a STEP preset). We'll need some input from many on that though. Probably best to start up another topic under the INI Tweaking thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users