By vizzurith. Why does Query info not seem to work for some mods/files?

wolverine2710

Question

Originally Nexus user vizzurith posted this in the Nexus MO forum. So that this discussion will not get buried on the nexus forums I created the question here and will respond to it here.

Some mods does not target files when querying info correctly.

In MO You can choose one though. But here is an issue : sometimes there aren't all files from mod site on the list -> Is it MO or particular mod issue?

Yes, yes.. I know : It's not on the list -> Forget about list, it goes to the block. ;>

Can you provide us with a list of nexusid of the mods for which queryinfo does not work for you.

You seem the have missed the information about query info (QI) in the tab ´downloading mods´in the MO wiki. it does not discuss why there is a 30 files limit but that is explained in bug report #413 in the issue tracker. It contains more tickets about your issue. Bottom line: if the mod author has filled in everything correctly (like version number for a file) and there are no more then 30 mods it should work.  In my case I have 640 downloaded files, 8% can´t succesfully perform a QI because things aren´t filled in correctly by the mod author. If you have mods which have everything set correctly, no more then 30 files then please create a bur report ticket for it in the issue tracker, so Tannin can have look at it.

7 answers to this question

Ok. So in most cases those seem to be mods with 30+ items on list. But I think, that I had same problem with shorter ones. But as You suggested - those might be mods from authors, who doesn't care too much about version tracking etc.

Getting list of nexusid for You would force me to go through almost 300 mods. It is not 640 of course, but as for now, I have no time for doing this.

Nevertheless I've started little nexus campaign in post sections on mod pages, which definitely has mismatched data (in two mods as I recall) and am asking politely authors to consider correcting data.

There are a few things that can go wrong with Query Info:

1. the file list could be too long (this is NOT something I can fix, Nexus doesn't send more than 30 files)

2. the file you have on disc could have been removed

3. the formatting of the file name could be unparsable so MO can't determine the nexus id (or, more likely: It misinterprets another component of the file name as the nexus id)

4. the file information on Nexus is incomplete. For example MO might have been able to retrieve the mod name but not the file version. In this case (if I'm not mistaken) the warning sign remains active.

The problems 1-3 can't be fixed by me, not sure if it makes sense to change the behaviour in 4.

Query Info is really just a workaround, users should really prefer to download through MO so they don't usually need it.

There are a few things that can go wrong with Query Info:

1. the file list could be too long (this is NOT something I can fix, Nexus doesn't send more than 30 files)

2. the file you have on disc could have been removed

3. the formatting of the file name could be unparsable so MO can't determine the nexus id (or, more likely: It misinterprets another component of the file name as the nexus id)

4. the file information on Nexus is incomplete. For example MO might have been able to retrieve the mod name but not the file version. In this case (if I'm not mistaken) the warning sign remains active.

The problems 1-3 can't be fixed by me, not sure if it makes sense to change the behaviour in 4.

Query Info is really just a workaround, users should really prefer to download through MO so they don't usually need it.

"Query Info is really just a workaround, users should really prefer to download through MO so they don't usually need it."

What if i've a lot of mods on NMM and i want to try out MO? I can't do it because there's really too many mods with this problem..

Also, could it be possible to have a view of downloaded files that looks like the one on NMM? I have a lot of mods that i don't want to use right now, but later, and since a lot of them are named like "all npcs" or "bsa blablabla" or "loose files" +numbers, it does make me a lot of confusions.. Yeah, blame on those authors, ok, but would it be nicer with a clean, organized view of downloaded mods?

EDIT: Also, talking of NMM feature, it would be cool too if optional file are called correctly.

Example with Prince and Pauper mod:

there's the core file, so yeah i can choose to call it "Prince and Pauper" while installing. I've to install the optional which is "Hearthfire Multiple Adoption Patch", and I've two choices, or the Mod name or the Optional file name. If you can, please, add another option with "Mod name - optional file name" so it would look like this: "Prince and Pauper - Hearthfire Multiple Adoption Patch".

Why can't this be fixed? Can you just ask the user for Mod ID?

"Query Info is really just a workaround, users should really prefer to download through MO so they don't usually need it."

What if i've a lot of mods on NMM and i want to try out MO? I can't do it because there's really too many mods with this problem..

Also, could it be possible to have a view of downloaded files that looks like the one on NMM? I have a lot of mods that i don't want to use right now, but later, and since a lot of them are named like "all npcs" or "bsa blablabla" or "loose files" +numbers, it does make me a lot of confusions.. Yeah, blame on those authors, ok, but would it be nicer with a clean, organized view of downloaded mods?

EDIT: Also, talking of NMM feature, it would be cool too if optional file are called correctly.

Example with Prince and Pauper mod:

there's the core file, so yeah i can choose to call it "Prince and Pauper" while installing. I've to install the optional which is "Hearthfire Multiple Adoption Patch", and I've two choices, or the Mod name or the Optional file name. If you can, please, add another option with "Mod name - optional file name" so it would look like this: "Prince and Pauper - Hearthfire Multiple Adoption Patch".

Then you're out of luck, the information is simply not available to MO.

Regarding your other question: In this case you can still enter the name yourself. If I'm not mistaken MO lists all names that can be identified automatically and in practice it makes little sense to provide every permutation of those names.

Why can't this be fixed? Can you just ask the user for Mod ID?
Because usually MO doesn't know it interpreted the wrong component as the Nexus ID. In cases where it does know it already asks for user input.